MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

String glissandi?

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

String glissandi?

Postby Bastard » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:29 pm

Garrotan Personal Orchestra - Interested in the best way to attain (or fake) the rosiny string glissandos - sliding up a range of an octave or more? All tips welcome.

Bastard

Postby Caithlynn » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:02 am

Last edited by Caithlynn on Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caithlynn

Re: String glissandi?

Postby SysExJohn » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:28 am

Caithlynn,
Have you tried using pitch bend to slide up (or down) an octave or more as the OP asked?

Its range is normally restricted to two just semitones, and I believe is permanently restricted to that in GPO, even if you enter the two RPNs and data message necessary in MIDI to extend its range.

A glissando is what is played on a fixed pitch instrument such as a piano or harp.
Portamento is a glide on an instrument such as violin or trombone.
So for string slides you need to read up about portamento, not glissando.
(Yes, I know most people refer to both techniques as glissando. In this case most people are uneducated. But do check out the manual, both page 72 (general use) and page 80 for strings.

So, for slides, you will need to use the portamento feature. The rate of glide is determined by the setting of CC#20 (see Instrument Controls in the GPO4 manual) and the switching on and off of the legato control, CC#64.

What you need to do is described on the old Northern Sounds forum in the Garritan section.
Within the Garritan Central section and Tips, techniques and tutorials.
Or just search for portamento.

Before the first note, from which to want to slide, insert a Legato On MIDI message, CC#64 high.
Before the second note insert a CC#20 (portamento) message with a small value for a wide slide, a large value for a short slide. Then the second note. Make sure the second note is long enough to complete the slide and, if necessary, to sustain it for a while at its final pitch.

Additionally, the velocity of the finishing note may need to be adjusted to best effect.
A fairly low velocity seems to be what is needed, as others have posted.
A suggestion is to try about 20 or so.

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Caithlynn » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:43 am

Last edited by Caithlynn on Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caithlynn

Re: String glissandi?

Postby SysExJohn » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:39 am

Don't worry about it, I've made just a few faux pas' in my time too.

Just a couple of days ago I told someone there was no way to affect channel transposition by inserting a simple command at the start of the sequencer track. I'd completely forgotten about coarse tuning RPNs!

Whereabouts in Germany are you?
I lived near Bonn for ten years, until November '13, in a little 'Dorf' near the border between Nordrhein Westfalen and Rheinland Pfalz. Loved Ahrwein and Kölsch.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.