MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

COMB too quiet compared to GPO and CPO

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

COMB too quiet compared to GPO and CPO

Postby ZacPB189 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:33 pm

So, I'm writing a piece for brass choir (3Tpt, 3Tbn, Euph, Tba; Horn-players are hard to come by in my area) and organ, and I'm using the COMB Euph Solo and Tuba Solo samples, GPO for the Tpts and Tbns, and CPO for the Organ. I'm using Finale 2012 on a Windows 10 machine.

I can mix the CPO and GPO samples together just fine, and have very little trouble finding balance between all the organ stops and GPO instruments. However, the CAMB samples, lovely as they are, are always way too quiet. I've scaled the organ and cylindrical brass samples back as much as I can (before the quietest stops are literally set to "0") and put the Euph and Tuba (the COMB instruments) on the very highest setting ("127"), but they're still practically inaudable by comparison at the same dynamic levels in playback.

Were the COMB samples recorded that much quieter than the GPO and CPO samples? Am I the only one having issue mixing COMB wih the other Garritan libraries? Should I just forget about COMB altogether and just use GPO Tuba samples for both Euph and Tuba (which I've done before, but it never sounds right)? As an absolute last resort, are there good Euphonium samples available that are the same general volume as the GPO samples (I'd rather not buy new samples when the COMB ones have a good sound though)?

If you need more details, let me know.
Thank you!

ZacPB
-Windows 10
-Finale 2012
-Garritan: Personal Orchestra; Concert and Marching Band, Concert Pipe Organ

Edited because I had put "CAMB" all over the initial post instead of "COMB".

ZacPB189

Re: COMB too quiet compared to GPO and CPO

Postby Tom Davis » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:15 am

I use the COMB instruments a lot with other Garritan libraries and have not found the volume problem you describe. Have you tried to compensate the volumes from the "Studio" view in the tools bar?

Tom

Tom Davis

Postby ZacPB189 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:28 am

Thanks for your reply! I set volume in the 'Score Manager' with my number pad. I don't like trying to fine-tune sliders with my unsteady hand on my stubborn mouse (I'm a simple-entry guy), like in the mixer (Finale's, not Aria's) or Studio View. Assuming that's what you mean.

ZacPB189

Postby Derrek » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:25 am

Some people use the reverb settings to add (dry) volume to quieter sounds. You could send the COMB sounds through a different Ambiance route (perhaps using a separate instance of Aria) in VST Banks & Effects to set the dry reverb level for those instruments higher.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby ZacPB189 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks for your reply! Do you mean put them in their own instance of ARIA and use the VST menu thing to mix one instance louder than another? That solution is so horrifyingly easy that I'm a bit angry that I didn't think of that in the first place! :roll: Thanks a bunch; I really apreaciate it! :mrgreen:

ZacPB189