MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

no bank installed, how can I get it installed

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

no bank installed, how can I get it installed

Postby chueh » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:06 am

I purchased Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 because I like its having all orchestral instruments and ensembles, not that I understood how to use it or what else it offered besides "sounds." Then, I downloaded and installed 4 or 5 DAW programs to find one that's very basic yet vst-capable. The Reaper was my last choice, yet I still gave it up, due to its complexity TO ME. I chose to stick with LMMS. It is basic yet powerful TO ME. However, now I am not sure if it's compatible with GPO. Again, not that I understand LMMS's capacity fully.

I recently just posted a question about setting up my own presets of sounds in LMMS from Aria Player. The vst controlling box in LMMS would not show all the sounds saved as preset in LMMS from AP, but only one. One poster replied and interpreted the condition, "either you do not have a bank installed, or that lmms cant open/ read it."

I should have a AP bank installed, right? Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to load any instrument I wanted in AP. If it's indeed installed, why LMMS cannot read it?? If it's not, please help me to get it installed!

I know that this is like asking a VIP phone company to solve slow connection problem, and vice versa.. but I shall appreciate any insight you can shed.

chueh

Re: no bank installed, how can I get it installed

Postby Derrek » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:25 pm

None of these programs will read your mind. You need to learn about the DAW's capabilities and requirements. You may need to put plug-in's/VST's in specific folders or have the DAW search for them or point the DAW to the folder they are in. I do not know either of the programs you appear to prefer, so I cannot offer any specific suggestions. (Perhaps another contributor can.) But you are going to have to go through a learning curve to take advantage of any of these programs.

Normally each instance of the Aria player connected to your DAW would constitute a "bank" of MIDI channels.

You could try using the DAW disconnected from Aria to generate a MIDI file and then load it into Aria and assign instruments to the channels. It's not how I would do it, but it might be a start for you. In the long run, I think you are best off reading the instructions for your DAW, maybe a little each night, but learn your software.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby chueh » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Thank you Derrek. You made a good point

chueh

Postby SysExJohn » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:41 am

Hi Chueh,

For many people a fully fledged DAW program can be a mountain too high to climb at the beginning of learning music sequencing. To be honest, I gave up with Reaper.
I manage Sonar PE v7, but only I think, because I started way back with Cakewalk 3.
Often it's easier to start with something a little more simple.
Have you taken a look at the program Anvil Studio?
Try 'anvilstudio.com'.
It starts as a free program but you can gradually add to its capabilities by buying add on features. Many people I know have started here before moving on to one or other of the commercial programs.
It's a bit more like the old fashioned MIDI sequencer.

Just a thought.
Sorry, I know zilch about LMMS! Haven't even come across it before.
But, as the point was made before, it takes time to learn any new piece of software, let alone a completely new technique of music making. Give it some time and a lot of patience.

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby chueh » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:38 am

good suggestion, SysExJohn. Thanks

chueh