MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

How to use Aria Player as MULTI and single stereo as plug-in

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

How to use Aria Player as MULTI and single stereo as plug-in

Postby chueh » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:02 am

I understand the concept of Aria Player having two distinct stereo functions as a plug-in: one being multi and the other single. However, when I set up them both in a DAW program, the look of both MULTI and single plug-ins are the same. How do I use them differently in practice, beyond the concept? Thanks

chueh

Re: How to use Aria Player as MULTI and single stereo as plu

Postby SysExJohn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:25 am

Hi Chueh,
When you open the basic ARIA player as a VST in a DAW, within each 'slot' you will notice a '1/2' on the lower line next to the MIDI channel number. If you click on that you will find that all other options are greyed out. This means that when the project is rendered or output, all instruments will go to one stereo track or live out.

When you load the ARIA multi VST, on start up again all instruments are sent to stereo out 1/2 but, and here's the difference, the '1/2' can be changed to e.g. 3/4, 5/6 up to 31/32. This means that each instrument can be rendered separately to its own individual audio track or output. This offers the flexibility of recording each instrument 'dry' then adding effects an instrument at a time. Many people will use a different reverb effect from the one built into ARIA.

They will often then mix the audio down to create a stereo mix in the old way.

Any help?
Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby chueh » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:47 am

I see. Thank you SyExJohn. I understand how it works now, yet it all has to depend on whether or not the DAW I am using is capable to having Aria Player's multi stereo outputs. Otherwise, AP multi can only be used successful soly, right?

chueh

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:52 am

Well, yes, but most DAW software these days, certainly all the commercial products that I am aware of, allow one to build a set of MIDI tracks and then render the tracks, each to its own audio track. From that point on many producers work in the audio domain, processing the audio with various effects units, then finally mixing down, typically, to a single stereo track.

It's often simpler to master the basics, anyway, using the simplest set up.

Another way to use the ARIA multi is to e.g. have many copies of the VST loaded, one with strings pointing at 1/2, the second with brass with 3/4, the third with woodwinds with 5/6 and so on, or whatever mix of instruments makes sense for what you're trying to produce.

Of course, if you want to produce music for surround sound, then multiple audio channels are essential.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby chueh » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:48 am

SysExJohn, you've been very thorough. I appreciate that. I have a question on a different topic, but I should start another thread about banks

chueh