MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Newbie to digital sampler/synth

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Newbie to digital sampler/synth

Postby chueh » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:15 pm

I have experienced with a yamaha syn77 and have recorded bunch of music with it. However, I am totally lost with a digital synth. I just installed a Garritan Personal Orchestra 4, which I struggled already with troubleshooting. Although the program is working, I have no idea how to start. I did read the manual, yet it does not teach me how to do things step-by-step. The only thing I know how to do now is only to try out different timbre in the 16 different tracks. My questions are:

1. How do I record each track of timbre for standalone version
2. How can I press down more than two keys at a time with the little graphic keyboard again by using standalone version
3. Do I have other recording methods other than pressing down the keys manually as if playing an instrument, such as punch-in, step-in, replace, and so on like an actual synth

Thanks

chueh

Re: Newbie to digital sampler/synth

Postby Derrek » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:53 am

Most people use a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), sequencer, or notation program to record MIDI files or drive Garritan's Aria player directly. Some of these DAW or sequencer programs are available for free, but I know few people who try to record directly in the Aria player, if it is even possible.

I am not familiar with the Yamaha player you use. But if it includes a sequencer, then you need to match MIDI channels on your MIDI output to MIDI channels of the Aria player and feed the synth output into your computer.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby chueh » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:48 am

Derrek, thanks again for your reply. You've been very helpful!

My Yamaha synth is not working as it should now. I am not able to save any recording with it but just play the sounds out like the condition I have with Aria Player. Instead of buying another synth, I thought I went with digital without the knowledge that it might still need other programs, and assumed I could use GPO as a standalone program without connecting to my Yamaha. Well..... I could give it a try connecting GPO with my Yamaha.

So... if I did that, I could use the sound/timbre that Aria Player provides, record music with my Yamaha, and save into Aria Player???

chueh

Postby Derrek » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:09 pm

You cannot "save" anything but Ensemble settings to Aria (AFAIK). The Aria standalone will open and play MIDI files saved elsewhere. Most people I know use the Aria plug-in with their DAW (Sonar, Cubase, Reaper, etc.) or notation program (Finale, Sibelius, etc.) to play instrument parts generated by the MIDI tracks sent through the Aria plug-in.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby chueh » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:25 pm

OK...so I guess in my case, connecting my Yamaha synth with GPO wouldn't serve the purpose I need.

What other software would you recommend to work with GPO for recording purpose in my case. I still have no clue what I need. Basically, I just need the timbre of GPO to be recorded in another program. I don't need anything sophisticated but a basic recording device that is able to record and save directly from different timbre of the 16 channels of GPO.

Thanks

chueh

Postby Fabio Biolcati » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:48 am

Hi Chueh.
There are plenty of DAWs around, some expensive and extremely powerful, some cheap but powerful enough to go beyond basic recording.
My advice is to download the demos to find the one that better fits the way you work and your wallet.
Keep us posted about your quest.
Regards

Fabio Biolcati

«Being Italian is a full-time job»
Fabio Biolcati

Software Owned:
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
VSL Special Edition strings and woodwinds
Notion 3
Finale 2010
IK CSR Hall Reverb

Postby SysExJohn » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:50 am

Hi Chueh,

You're in good company with the SY77. I understand that Wendy Carlos owns, or owned one of them. A flagship synth.
I have an AN1x. I never could get to grips with FM synthesis even though I own a PLG100-DX card for my MU1000 sound module.

As you're probably aware, the ARIA player comes in several versions, the stand alone one, which is primarily designed for those people who want to 'play live' the various instruments loaded into the ARIA player's 'slots'. This should be accessible via MIDI from the SY77 keyboard. If you look closely at the ARIA interface you will see that you can change the MIDI channel of any slot.

In addition the stand alone player can 'render' a pre-existing MIDI file.

The other two versions are VST's, designed to be used within what is known as DAW software. Sonar and Cubase are two well known examples of such software (as well as many others). Cockos Reaper is another and it's free to download.

One version of the ARIA VST is stereo only, the second has multiple audio outputs.

Essentially you'll need a sequencer or DAW software to run on a PC or Mac.

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby chueh » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Thank you all for your insight. Great help.

chueh