MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Brass Tutorial

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Re: Brass Tutorial

Postby Credo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:18 pm

sus4 wrote:OK, making some progress. I'm in the Piano Roll window and I selected Midi Draw. A little window opened asking to choose the midi channel which I did. Under that are all the controllers, but I don't see a controller that says Kiss. I want the final note of the 1st trumpet to "kiss" the last note. How do I get a kiss?

Open a controller lane for CC15
Somewhere shortly after the note that you want the kiss starts in time, draw in a value of 127.

Open another controller lane for CC29
Somewhere shortly after the note that you want to kiss starts in time, draw in a value of 64.

This CC29 message will put the Kiss volume at 50% (half of 127). If you want a higher volume, draw in a higher value, if you want it lower, draw in something lower. If you want the kiss to crescendo or decrescendo, then draw in the appropriate ramp or curve.

Before you play another note in the track you'll want to also draw in a value of 0 on the cc15 lane to turn the kiss effect off.

Note, kisses do not apply for every single note...only the trumpet notes from High C (concert Bb-3) and up can have kisses. For notes lower than that the CC15-127 message doesn't do anything.

Falls and Doits should work for the full range of the instrument.

Furthermore, if you want a:
Falls, draw in any value between 33 and 64
Doits, draw in any value between 65 and 69
Kisses, draw in any value between 70 and 127
To disable any of these CC15 effects draw in 0.

Last edited by Credo on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby SysExJohn » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:35 am

sus4 wrote:OK, making some progress. I'm in the Piano Roll window and I selected Midi Draw. A little window opened asking to choose the midi channel which I did. Under that are all the controllers, but I don't see a controller that says Kiss. I want the final note of the 1st trumpet to "kiss" the last note. How do I get a kiss?

Excellent, it takes a little time to 'get' how it all works.

So, the Garritan libraries use MIDI controllers to allow us to express how a player plays.
As there is no formal MIDI definition for Kiss and Doit, etc. the library uses an unassigned MIDI controller, controller number 15, which we abbreviate to CC#15 (short for continuous controller number 15).

If we look at the JABB3 manual again, at pages 86 and 87, focussing on the table at the foot of page 87, it tells us that if we enter a value between 0 and 32 in the 'pane' having selected MIDI CC#15, there will be no effect. If we enter values between 33 to 64 we get falloffs, 65-95 Doits and 96 to 127 Kisses.

So you will need to enter a value in the last range (96-127) for the Kiss effect you desire. Experimenting with values, as Credo has defined above, will eventually get you the exact effect you want (I hope).

Any clearer?
Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby sus4 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:47 pm

Well, guys I've been messing with this for a couple of days now and it's not working for me. I was able to get drop offs, doits but no kiss. I've got lines all over the place. I'm doing something wrong and since I'm basically a novice at all this technical stuff it's getting frustrating so.........I'm just gonna let this thing go for a while. It's not that important. There a few big bands in the area I'm in and I'll get to hear it live. The important thing is I've got quite a few big band arrangements already in ARIA so I am hearing them and they sound pretty good.
Credo and John, you both have a lot of patience and knowledge and both are generous with your help. I'm very grateful.
Thanks.

sus4

sus4

Software Owned:
Sibelius 7, Logic Express 9, JABB3

Postby Credo » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:11 pm

sus4 wrote:Well, guys I've been messing with this for a couple of days now and it's not working for me. I was able to get drop offs, doits but no kiss. I've got lines all over the place. I'm doing something wrong and since I'm basically a novice at all this technical stuff it's getting frustrating so.........I'm just gonna let this thing go for a while. It's not that important. There a few big bands in the area I'm in and I'll get to hear it live. The important thing is I've got quite a few big band arrangements already in ARIA so I am hearing them and they sound pretty good.
Credo and John, you both have a lot of patience and knowledge and both are generous with your help. I'm very grateful.
Thanks.

sus4

If you're getting doits and falls, then it sounds to me like you're tinkering with the right stuff. Keep practicing and you'll soon get it mastered.

Don't forget that kisses only apply to trumpets, from High C and up. Notes lower than that do not have CC15 kisses. You might could draw in a similar effect for lower notes using pitch bend.

Credo

Credo

Software Owned:
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby sus4 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:26 pm

I'm using high C# and still not getting my "kiss". I'm assuming the kiss in ARIA is the same kiss a trumpet player would do namely sucking the air in from his mouthpiece.
Credo you mention starting the kiss a little past the note which I'm doing. I guess I just have to keep playing with it.

sus4

sus4

Software Owned:

Postby Credo » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:36 pm

sus4 wrote:I'm using high C# and still not getting my "kiss". I'm assuming the kiss in ARIA is the same kiss a trumpet player would do namely sucking the air in from his mouthpiece.
Credo you mention starting the kiss a little past the note which I'm doing. I guess I just have to keep playing with it.

sus4

Yep...and it makes the high pitch bend upward in this case.

You might also try it just before the note starts.

Don't forget to check CC#29. It's listed on the Aria Controls tab as the 'Rellevel'. Make sure it's not turned down to low to hear the effect.
aria1.png
aria1.png (170.83 KB) Viewed 5034 times

Credo

Credo

Software Owned:

Postby sus4 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:02 am

When you say "it makes a high pitch upward", it sounds to me you're describing a "doit". The sound I'm talking about actually sounds like a "kiss" and doesn't have a pitch attached to it. The trumpet player sucks the air in from his mouthpiece to create that sound and on the written score I put an x for the notehead and the word "kiss" above the note with and x head.

sus4

Software Owned:

Previous