MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Brass Tutorial

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Brass Tutorial

Postby sus4 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:24 am

I read in the manual you can perform drop offs, kisses etc on trumpets, but didn't exactly explain how to do it. Is there a tutorial that explains how to get a kiss on the trumpets?
Thanks?

sus4

Software Owned:
Sibelius 7, Logic Express 9, JABB3

Re: Brass Tutorial

Postby SysExJohn » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:54 am

Hi sus4,

Checkout pages 86 and 87 of the manual, "Advanced : Specific Instrument Controls"
There's a more general explanation followed by the specific settings for CC#15 when used for trumpets. But simply put cc#15 0-32 = off, 33-64 = Fallofs, 65-95 = Doits, 96-127 = Kisses.
Some experimentation is essential here.

John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby sus4 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:46 am

SysExJohn,

How do I get to those CC controllers? I have a keyboard controller, no sounds, going to my computer. ????????

sus4

sus4

Software Owned:

Postby Derrek » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:18 am

Editing directly in your DAW is one way.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby SysExJohn » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:45 am

Hi Sus4,
With a keyboard controller, I have one too, a Novation, one can usually tell the keyboard controller which knob or fader is assigned to which MIDI control. So assigning one to cc#15 will allow some degree of control of doits etc.

Any help?
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Credo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:56 am

sus4 wrote:I read in the manual you can perform drop offs, kisses etc on trumpets, but didn't exactly explain how to do it. Is there a tutorial that explains how to get a kiss on the trumpets?
Thanks?

Are you using ARIA:
a. Stand alone/live, controlled strictly by a keyboard, wind, or guitar controller?
b. Inside a DAW or tracking sequencer?
c. Inside a Scoring package?

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby sus4 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:12 pm

I'm referring to ARIA which I use through my DAW.

Guys I'm sorry, I really appreciate all your responses but you really have to explain everything to step by step either doing it through my keyboard controller which has a Pitch Bend wheel and a Modulation wheel or through my DAW. I don't understand how to get to these controllers.
Thanks.

sus4

sus4

Software Owned:

Postby Credo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:39 pm

sus4 wrote:I'm referring to ARIA which I use through my DAW.

Guys I'm sorry, I really appreciate all your responses but you really have to explain everything to step by step either doing it through my keyboard controller which has a Pitch Bend wheel and a Modulation wheel or through my DAW. I don't understand how to get to these controllers.
Thanks.

sus4

I'll be happy to give you some examples of how 'my DAW' does it. I currently use CuBase 8, or Sibelius here.

For Sibelius, I just drop the proper score symbol on the page and Sibelius usually takes care of the rest for me. If not, I sometimes have to edit an expression map that links the CC15 message to the score symbol I want.

For CuBase, which I mostly treat as a linear style tracking DAW, I have MANY options at my disposal.

1. The Piano Scroll Editor.
Most DAWs of this sort have an editor of this nature, where you can set up controller lanes.

cc.png
cc.png (150.52 KB) Viewed 4655 times

In this example, you can see that the top portion of the editor is just a piano scroll. How long notes are in time is represented by how long the lines are horizontally. Bar colors signify note velocity. What note is playing corresponds to the keyboard shown vertically towards the left pane of the window.

Under that you see several controller lanes like Sustain cc64 (which can control legato in JABB3), Expression cc11 (which can change the dynamics/volume), and Portamento Time cc20 (used for glissing, sliding, or slurring effects between notes). I can easy add more CC lanes, or change these about to also display note velocity, after-touch, pitch bend, and the list goes on.

I'm also driving some ARIA Player filters with controllers, cc26, and cc27.

I simply add the controller lanes I need and 'draw in' the values I want with my mouse.

In the example above, I'm using the cc64 (sustain pedal) controller to swap between hard tonguing and 'legato' or 'soft tonguing'. I also do a 'lip-slure style shake' in the phrase that includes the sustain pedal and a setting of the portamento time.

If I wanted to use the cc15 options for doits, falls, and kisses, I'd simply add a lane for for CC15 and draw in the values I want as I've done with the others above.

2. CuBase offers quite a few alternative methods for working with these controller messages. I could also opt for track based controller lanes in the main sequencer.
cc2.png
cc2.png (167.7 KB) Viewed 4655 times

In the example above, I've set up controller lanes for cc15 (Falls, Doits, and Kisses) and cc29 (The 'Release Volume' of these cc15 based effects). Typically, I'd rather not put these sorts of controllers on this type of lane in CuBase for my own personal work-flow reasons, but the example serves to show that it's quite possible, and sometimes very handy to do so.

3. CuBase also supports expression maps through its Score Editor. In this case I tag a score marking with the appropriate CC message using something called an expression map. These expression maps can also work in some of the other editors through drag and drop lists.
cc3.png
cc3.png (307.29 KB) Viewed 4655 times

These are only 3 of MANY ways to deal with CC messages in my particular DAW. So...

To be more specific in terms of 'step by step' instructions, it will be helpful to know what DAW you are using by name and version. Chances are it will have similar editors and functions as those I've shown here in CuBase, forum members will just have a hard time being more specific without more information about your system and DAW of choice.

Hope this is helpful,
Credo

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:38 am

sus4 wrote:I'm referring to ARIA which I use through my DAW.

Thanks.

sus4

Yes, we do automatically assume that people have a certain level of knowledge, don't we?

Here's a simpler one for you.

As I wrote previously, many controller keyboards have more than just pitch bend and modulation wheel. These extra knobs and faders are very useful for controlling the humanising effects available within the Garritan libraries.

When you move the modulation wheel the controller sends a series of MIDI messages to the computer saying (in the MIDI message code) 'mod wheel, value x', where 'x' would be 0 at the lowest point and 127 at the highest. The pitch wheel does something similar but with a range of 8192!

If you're using a DAW then there will be a mechanism for 'drawing in' these messages, usually at the foot of something known as the Piano Roll View (often abbreviated to PRV).

The actual place for drawing these in is often known as a Controller Pane or Lane.
One just uses one's mouse to insert a point or draw a line or curve representing the human expression, e.g. embouchure or breath.

Any help?
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned:

Postby sus4 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:14 pm

OK, making some progress. I'm in the Piano Roll window and I selected Midi Draw. A little window opened asking to choose the midi channel which I did. Under that are all the controllers, but I don't see a controller that says Kiss. I want the final note of the 1st trumpet to "kiss" the last note. How do I get a kiss?

sus4

Software Owned:

Next