MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Vibrato control in JABB instruments

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Vibrato control in JABB instruments

Postby hanoj » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:28 am

Hallo,
how can I record vibrato depth in JABB instruments, when I don't have the keyboard with aftertouch possibility. I would like to control vibrato using modulation wheel.
Thanks for the answer.
Hanoj

hanoj

Re: Vibrato control in JABB instruments

Postby SysExJohn » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:37 pm

Hi Hanoj,

The mod wheel cannot be used for this as it's assigned to control volume.
However, if you're using the expression pedal to control loudness, perhaps within your keyboard's set up you may be able to 'remap' the mod wheel to channel aftertouch. Many MIDI keyboard controllers can do this remapping.

Just an idea.
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby hanoj » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:29 am

The controller can not be set to aftertouch, there is only the value of 1-127.What do you advise?

hanoj

Postby Credo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:19 pm

If your MIDI keyboard can't send aftertouch, and doesn't have a way to program a slider/pot/etc. Check the manual of the keyboard...most will have some method for sending that data somehow, I.E. mAudio has a few models with a CC#131 listed that can be sent with a slider/pot/wheel...which is obviously outside the MIDI spec, so it's doing something internally to fake aftertouch values.

If you can't find a way to make your keyboard send aftertouch, then you might can find a VST plugin that will convert some other CC message into aftertouch for you.

There might be something in this grab bag of utilities: http://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi

Finally, you can always add it into tracks with a MIDI editor if all else fails.

If not...try searching about....it probably exists :)

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby hanoj » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:55 am

Thanks, Credo! I"ll try it. However, I know, that is possible to set aftertouch data in MIDI editor, but the "real time" setting via MIDI controller is simpler for me.
hanoj.

hanoj