MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Instrument still sounds from keyboard when ModWhl = 0%

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Re: Instrument still sounds from keyboard when ModWhl = 0%

Postby SysExJohn » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:29 am

Hi David,

I'm wrong!
Seb tells us over in the Plogue forum it's the amplitude_curvecc1= setting.
At the moment I can't find this in Simon Caan's book, but I haven't done a thorough search yet.
It may be an Aria engine specific sfz command.

Seb's response carries a health warning! ;-)

Did you catch my earlier post about the incorrect programming of the oboe d'amore sfz file?
I'm still awaiting a response to my bug report of the 7th of December.
It took me about ten minutes to find the fault and to fix it.

Kind regards,
John.

Added later:
You might try referring to this thread
http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php/69209-Custom-SFZ-files-in-Aria-player in the Northern Sounds forum (the original forum for Garritan products).
There they are discussing how to add a non-Garritan instrument.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby DavidinTexas » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:17 am

Hi John,
This is helpful information. Thank you.
I didn't see your post regarding "the incorrect programming of the oboe d'amore sfz file" and am not sure how to find it but would very much like to read it. (Still a novice with the forum).

Not sure if you've seen this post from Seb, (it may be the one to which you are referring)

Postby DavidinTexas » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:08 am

Postby [email protected] » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:17 am

In order to do what you want, you will need to modify each and every instrument (.sfz file) using the mod wheel for every Garritan product you have.

Doing so will change your installation which could end up creating support issues that the Garritan support staff will be unaware of (or unable to reproduce given they won't modify their installation and also although we do are the ARIA engine authors, we do not handle the support for Garritan).

Yes, the use of sfz does let any power user to easily make changes to the programming but
we cannot afford to personally help everyone with all the details it entails (making backups
before changes, being able to restore from that if anything goes wrong, file permissions, etc...)

That being said,
look for:
amplitude_curvecc1=7
and either add // in front of it if there's nothing AFTER so it becomes:
//amplitude_curvecc1=7
or remove it from the file.
(it's possible that it will not always be curve7)

The bank xml files will tell you which instrument is which sfz file if needed.
[email protected]
Site Admin

DavidinTexas

0 Stars

DavidinTexas

Postby DavidinTexas » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:19 am

The question that i now find myself asking is why Garritan decided to have their instruments not go to zero volume??? That is the natural behavior of instruments. The default lowest volume is quite audible and noticeable.

DavidinTexas

Postby SysExJohn » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:38 am

Hi David,

My previous post about the oboe d'amore is here:
http://forums.makemusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2776.
It describes how I found a glitch in a held note (in the loop points) and cured it.
If you want the file I can send it.

Yes, it was Seb's post over in the Plogue forum to which I was referring.
Please take a look at the exchange of posts over on the Northern Sounds forum.
There they're discussing the programming of the mod wheel's 'curve'.

Having thought about your issue, I've changed my own mind and now believe that Garritan has it correct. I'll tell you why.
In the real world, when I play my oboe or flute, there is a minimum volume (which isn't close to silence) which I would say is the 'pppp' lower limit of either instrument. There comes a point where no note is sounded, but there is still breath going through the instrument.
The other end, blowing at maximum pressure, results in 'ffff' full volume.
I believe that the defined 'curves' in the sfz programming attempt to emulate this.

It is therefore more realistic to have the instrument still produce some sound, however low, at minimum expression level, be that via cc#1, cc#2 or cc#11 (remember ARIA treats all three as 'mod wheel').

The only sensible way to silence the instrument is by taking the channel volume fader, cc#7, down to zero. Nearly everything else, be it VSTi or hardware sound module, doesn't reflect the reality of a physical instrument.

Your thoughts?

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby DavidinTexas » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:14 am

Hi John,
Yes, i will be grateful if you will send the fixed Oboe file. That is one of my favorite instruments. Do you need my email address for that?

I understand your thoughts regarding minimum volume and believe that you are correct.
As a singer, sax and harmonica player i recognize the minimum volume that will produce a note and below which there will be only breath.

I also just spoke with a very helpful person at Garritan Tech Support and he explained about the different cc settings for the different instruments and how the physical controllers can be set to affect them. He said that cc7 will bring the volume of the instrument to zero. Being a novice, i had some understanding of that but he made it much clearer.
So, all in all, this tells me that i need to spend more time learning the instruments and their various controls. What a great adventure this is!

I'm glad to be corresponding with you and very much appreciate all of your help.
Looking forward to further exchanges and communications.
I wish you all the best!
David

DavidinTexas

Previous