MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Quarter Sharps and Flats

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Quarter Sharps and Flats

Postby wrayer » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:25 am

Does anyone know how to create quarter steps (sharp or flat)?

William Rayer

We dream to write and we write to dream
Artist, Author, Arranger, Composer, Musician
http://wfrayer.wix.com/william-rayer
Member: Cleveland Composers Guild, ASCAP
Finale 2014 - GPO4 - JaBB
wrayer

Re: Quarter Sharps and Flats

Postby GPO4User » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Finale doesn't have that feature? Well, Sibelius has, at least since 6.0...
You might have a MIDI track which you first edit in some other DAW where you can set the wheel value. (Cakewalk can do that since ages.)
Then import that MIDi file to Finale. Should work.
Sorry, I gave up using Finale for it's limitations....

GPO4User

Postby Wlgold » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:10 pm

You don't say what program you are using. If it is Finale, and you want to notate the quarter tones, look in the help index for non standard key signatures and there should be a link there for creating quarter tone scales/key signatures. Finale playback is based on MIDI and uses 12 half steps. I think people have gotten around this before by creating expressions which modify the pitch-wheel… Probably tedious. I believe there are synthesizers out there which have quarter tone capabilities built in. Good luck.

Sorry... you did say what program you were using. F2012 supports 1/4 notation and I'm sure F2011 does, as well.

Wlgold

Software Owned:
Finale 2012c, GPO 4, JABB 3, Garritan Steinway Basic, Garritan World Instruments, Windows7

Postby GPO4User » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:41 am

You might try out, as a MIDI file retuning software, Scala:
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/downloads.html
Sorry that I did not remember earlier on.
But the point is, you have to create the MIDI file on and DAW, retune it by a scale, and then open the result by Finale. BUT: Scala just rewrites a piece from chromatic tuning to the new one. That means in case of quartertones, you have e.g. a chromatic scale, and Scala turns that to a quarter tone scale, in other words, EACH and EVERY interval is halved. To get a chromatic scale using the described process, the originating scale would have to be entirely a whole tone scale. This will cause quite some sleepless nights to write a piece using quartertones throughout.

GPO4User

Postby wrayer » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:01 pm

I am using Finale 2014, I assumed, since this is a MakeMusic Forum for Finale, that one would understand I was using Finale. I am not interested in a playback, just in how to do the notation. Yes I RTFM, but it is a bit difficult to understand. I was hoping someone could point out a way that they use to create the quarter tone sharp and flat symbol. I should have been more specific. Thanks for the suggestions. will try to decipher the section on non-traditional symbols again. Just looking for help from someone who has already gone down this road.

Best regards,
Bill

William Rayer

We dream to write and we write to dream
Artist, Author, Arranger, Composer, Musician
http://wfrayer.wix.com/william-rayer
Member: Cleveland Composers Guild, ASCAP
Finale 2014 - GPO4 - JaBB
wrayer

Postby Wlgold » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:56 pm

The Help File deals specifically with arrow quarter tone notation and that's all I've used. The File contains a large number of steps, but they are accurate and they work. I don't know of any way of short cutting the process.

FWIW, this is not the Finale Forum; it is a Garritan Forum. There are people here who use Garritan products with DAW's and have nothing to do with Finale. Since your interest is in notation, you might try posting here: http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5

Wlgold

Software Owned:
Finale 2012c, GPO 4, JABB 3, Garritan Steinway Basic, Garritan World Instruments, Windows7