MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Extreme newbie

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Extreme newbie

Postby Paul P » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:54 pm

I've looked a number of posts and hope I won't be making a fool of myself by asking some very basic questions. I do read music and in fact played trumpet in college including jazz lab. Over the years, I've composed my own songs using my guitar and/or piano. I recently saw the Garritan Instant Orchestra and thought this might be my next step in personal music composition.

So that brings me to my very newbie questions. I want to be able to use Instant orchestra with a midi controller and save the audio (guessing WAV file) for enjoyment outside of the Aria player.
I know I need the GIO
I know I need a midi keyboard
Can I output my work from GIO as a WAV file?
Can I input into GIO via a midi microphone? I'll be honest I use my voice recorder on my smartphone to record my inspirations and later put it to guitar or piano. Would be nice to load it via mic into GIO or even Finale.

I have to start somewhere and GIO seems like what I'd like to try.. just don't want to buy it and a midi keyboard only to find I'm only at the tip of the iceberg.
Thanks

Paul P

Re: Extreme newbie

Postby Derrek » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:16 am

My suggestion is that you do a little research into what MIDI is and does. The Aria engine does not take audio (.wav) input from an audio recorder; and although it does take MIDI input, it would be relatively difficult for you to input more than one MIDI channel at a time from a keyboard unless the keyboard had a built-in sequencer. (Do current MIDI/synth keyboards still do that?)

Before you spend money on a keyboard and sound files (and Garritan files are a very good value for the cost), you really need to look into what you can expect. Aria is not designed (primarily) for live input. Better to run your ideas through a DAW (DIgital Audio Workstation) program or one of the Finale programs (PrintMusic is the least expensive that will use external Garritan Libraries) to produce different instrument sounds on different melody/harmony lines.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby Paul P » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks for your suggestions. I've been reading up more on the midi keyboards. You helped me realize I WILL need a DAW. I'll be downloading Reaper 4 to start with because it offers a trial and will let me "test drive" a DAW and get some hands-on before putting out cash for one.

Thanks

Paul P

Postby kingfreeze » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:54 am

Hi Paul, I hesitated commenting as I don't use a midi controller to create files, but simple entry method. But since you mentioned reaper, I spent 4 months trying to use the aria player in reaper, and the process is well documented in the reaper forum, I started from scratch, and it was difficult, but now there's a roadmap of the process. Look in the reaper forum under my name there <stevewisnoski>, and search for "using a single instance of the aria player in reaper". I think you would need that. Also, in this forum, Kastra provided a great animation on using the aria player, and under the same thread as mentioned above. Good luck.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Paul P » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks kingfreeze for the heads up. I was reading something last night on using reaper 4 with Garritan Aria player and it made it look like I needed to do was set the path to the Aria VST or copy the dll files to the reaper 4 library. But for sure I will check out both threads.

Paul P

Postby kingfreeze » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:41 pm

You're welcome, by the way, you should be downloading reaper 4.75. It is full featured and free to use for 60 days.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW