MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Overdub Midi CC Data with GPO?

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Overdub Midi CC Data with GPO?

Postby jlbmusician » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:13 pm

I am new to GPO and can play and record with ARIA through my MIDI controller with no problem. However, since I don't have five hands for adjusting all the parameter fader knobs while playing, I'm trying to find out how I can go back and adjust MIDI cc data afterwards. I can do this manually with Finale, but I'm really hoping there's a way GPO supports recording MIDI cc data live.

In other words, I would play back a recorded french horn solo track, and record updated mod wheel and var1/var2 data while listening to the track. I have been trying to do this through Reaper, but from what I'm reading on GPO, it appears that maybe this functionality isn't supported through using the ARIA plugin in a DAW:

"Automation is a way of manipulating the various controls or parameters of a plug-in within a DAW, and requires a consistent parameter set from the plug-in in order to work correctly. At this time, only the Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand provides these consistent automation parameters." (From Garritan Support Page)

Could anybody shine some light on this for me? Can I use GPO to go back and live "overdub" midi CC data?

jlbmusician

Re: Overdub Midi CC Data with GPO?

Postby SysExJohn » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:43 am

Hi jlbmusician,

The answer is both yes and no, or rather no and yes.
GPO itself doesn't record controller messages, apart from fixed settings which can be set in the mixer view and controller view of ARIA, then saved as an "ensemble" file, but ARIA will respond to recorded controller messages from within a MIDI file.

As far as I know all reasonable quality DAWs, Reaper included, should allow you to record or overdub varying controller messages onto an already recorded MIDI track. One should be able to record the notes then, whilst playing them back in Reaper, record the movement of the mod wheel to affect expression. Then likewise, rewind and record another controller e.g. cc#21, having assigned a knob or fader to that function. The technique requires a little practice.

I'm not a Reaper user, so can't tell you more specifically how to do it, but I believe that a significant number of people use GPO and most other VST instruments in this way.

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby jlbmusician » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks John! Glad to hear that ARIA supports it. I am still just on a trial with Reaper so I'm open to getting something else if there's an easier DAW to use for this for Mac.

If anyone is familiar with a tutorial on how to do this specifically (I have scoured the web for tutorials without success), I would really appreciate it!

As noted, I can record MIDI (including CC data) with no problem - it's just going back and overdubbing midi CC data on pre-recorded tracks that I'm trying to figure out how to do.

jlbmusician

Postby Credo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:18 pm

jlbmusician wrote:Thanks John! Glad to hear that ARIA supports it. I am still just on a trial with Reaper so I'm open to getting something else if there's an easier DAW to use for this for Mac.

If anyone is familiar with a tutorial on how to do this specifically (I have scoured the web for tutorials without success), I would really appreciate it!

As noted, I can record MIDI (including CC data) with no problem - it's just going back and overdubbing midi CC data on pre-recorded tracks that I'm trying to figure out how to do.

There's probably many ways to do it, (I don't have Reaper here to be more specific) but here's one method that should work in any sequencer out there. I used to do it this way back in 1989 when sequencers were but a scroll of HEX or Decimal code with some tape-machine like transport controls.

Just do your first take with no CC data but the notes(which will each have its own velocity), and after-touch.

Now start a new track set to the same channel as the one with your notes on it, and record a Midi controller while the other track(s) are playing. If you don't like the results edit it with an editor or do it over.

Repeat until you've got a track for each controller you want to use.

Once you're satisfied with the results you can merge/fold all those tracks into one.

Most of the modern sequencers have all sorts of user customizable controller lanes you can work with. It might be deep in the manual somewhere, but I'm pretty sure Reaper comes with an assortment of controller lanes/editors.

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion