MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Is there any workaround to control tremolo speed?  <SOLVED>

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Is there any workaround to control tremolo speed?

Postby Peter White » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:37 am

Hi guys.

I'm new here, as well as in the Garritan products.

I've trying the GPO 4 (very good by the way) and suddenly one doubt came:
Is there any way to control the strings tremolo speed?

GPO has only 1 tremolo option per stringed instrument, and I need the tremolo a bit slower than they are.
I've heard that Vienna Strings have various tremolo variations, with different speeds etc, but the price is beyond my budget constraint.

I've tried the MIDI CC#92, which seems not work.
Also, according to the manual, only the Vibraphone can have its tremolo handled.

Is there any workaround I can do to get a fair slow tremolo, I mean, not much mechanic or unnatural?

Regards

Peter White

Re: Is there any workaround to control tremolo speed?

Postby GPO4User » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:31 am

Try out the instructions from the GPO4 Manual, page 73.
I am stuck with the same issue, using GPO4 as VST-instrument in Sibelius 7.5.1, and I will check out as well if that really works.
Tricky in Sibelius: you have to write MIDI-Controller message like a text in the score and line up every controller. Once you forget one, the entire thing does not work. :-(
Which is your host application for GPO4, or are you going with the standalone?

GPO4User

Postby SysExJohn » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:38 am

Hi Peter,

I take it by tremolo speed you mean vibrato rate and depth?
Sadly there is no way in GPO4 to adjust this. It is a much requested feature.
See the thread "tell me what you want, what you really, really want" in the General part of the forum, and all the following requests.
It requires a lot more SFZ programming (how the sounds are controlled) to implement this feature and so the strings are all samples which include a fixed vibrato in this low cost library.

As you remark, Vienna has it, but at considerably greater cost.

Hopefully we'll see a great improvement when GPO5 is released, whenever that is.
I live in hope!

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Peter White » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:45 am

Hi GPO4User.

That Tremolo CC in the page 73 is only for Vibraphone.
I could do a workaround with Vibrato Depth and Rate CCs but will not work 'cause strings have a recorded vibrato.

I'm using the "semi-sequencer" PG RealBand 2014 (comes with PG BIAB 2014).

I have found three different workarounds:

1 - The most laborious method is to write the tremolo (write each little repeated note of the tremolo) in the way/speed you want to hear it and then use no-tremolo strings patches.
It may not sound so realistic but you can have the exactly speed and stuff you want.

2 - Convert the tremolo patch to audio and then delay/accelerate it for controlling the tremolo speed.
After that the audio will be longer or shorter than the original tremolo duration.
Some adjust will be needed to match the original tremolo duration with the modified one.
Can be boring to do this for each tremolo note you want but this method provides a better tremolo sound than the other two methods.

3 - The easiest method is to use a Tremolo audio F/X plugin with no-tremolo strings patches.
My sequencer has some built-in plugins, including PG Tremolo, which allows you to control Rate, Stereo Phase and Depth.
It's the easiest method but far from provide a real/natural sound of tremolo.
However, in the midst of a dozen instruments it can trick many people.

Hope I've helped someone.

Regards,
Peter

Attachments
PG Tremolo.png
PG Tremolo plugin
PG Tremolo.png (768.07 KB) Viewed 4809 times
Last edited by Peter White on Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter White

Postby Peter White » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:58 am

Hi John.

I was aware that GPO 4 does not offer this option but I thought could have some workarounds to get it.

Anyways, I have found some.

Lets hope the GPO 5 will have a feature to control all the tremolo properties and we will not need any workaround.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Regards,
Peter

Peter White

Re: Is there any workaround to control tremolo speed?  <SOLVED>

Postby SysExJohn » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:00 am

Hi Peter,

Aha! I see you do mean tremolo, not vibrato.
Yes, there is just one tremolo speed with no adjustment.
There is a reason for this. Take a look at the following notation from the Finale help file:

showing how tremolo is notated and then implemented using the 'Easy Tremolos' plugin.
Finale then generates a whole series of MIDI notes.

You can see that a tremolo may be on a single note but is often on two or more notes in orchestral scores. The number of beams is used here to dictate the speed, usually three, but I've come across four beam tremolos in a score by Dvorak. I found that I had to use the separate 'Short Bows' patch to get the correct attack, and create the tremolo parts on a separate track/channel with its own short bows patch.

Just a thought!
Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Peter White » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi John.

I hope you had a merry Christmas.

Thank you for the tip.
I didn't know it since I don't use Finale as my main notation software.
However I've tried what you said and I found it very easy.
In my case I need a tremolo of a single note, so I wrote two identical half notes and then applied the Easy Tremolos plugin.
Another cool thing I've noticed is that Finale makes a humanized tremolo, with a little variation in MIDI notes velocity, duration and start time.
Just the kind of humanization I needed but didn't want to do it manually for each little note of the tremolo.

I will try it with Short Bows patches as you suggested.
I hope the result be better than the PG Tremolo plugin.
That tremolo audio plugin is indeed very easy to use but sounds a bit artificial.

Thank you again and happy new year.

Regards,
Peter

Peter White