MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

World Instruments: Concertina

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

World Instruments: Concertina

Postby reberclark » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi everybody. It's been awhile since I posted here but I've come up with a small problem. In Garritan's World Instruments collection - the "Concertina" patch has a very slow attack time, so much so that in faster pieces the instrument can barely speak at all before disappearing. I've tried the accordion patches but they just don't have the same sound. Any idea how I can alter the attack time in the concertina patch? All help appreciated.

​"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

GPO, JABB, CoMB, World, IO, Harps
L. A. Scoring Strings
Symphobia, Orch. Brass, True Strike 1
Requiem Pro
H'wood Woodwinds, H'wood Brass, Stormdrum 2
reberclark

Software Owned:
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
SONAR X3 64bit
Sony Sound Forge
CD Architect Pro
Sony Vegas Pro
DVD Architect Pro
Finale

Re: World Instruments: Concertina

Postby kingfreeze » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi, I have used the concertina patch, but only as accompaniment. It sounded good, I might plug it into a faster passage and see how it acts, good luck

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby kingfreeze » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:54 am

I did substitute the concertina for a banjo part, quarter = 155, playing a 16th note passage, and yes, it couldn't hack it. Unless someone knows of a particular setting, I am guessing in that application the concertina is unusable.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Wlgold » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:24 pm

I'm certainly not an expert on concertinas, having only touched one once in my life, but my impression is that they are not a good choice if you want to play fast passages of music (ie 16th notes at qn=155). You can speed up the GWI instrument if you turn off the bellows (CC12) and the Ambience. You can hear (faintly) some of the faster passages, but then you don't get that hiss of air that makes a concertina sound like a concertina. Maybe an accordion would be a better choice for the fast stuff, especially since it's more believable that they would be played on a keyboard rather than buttons.

Wlgold

Software Owned:
Finale 2012c, GPO 4, JABB 3, Garritan Steinway Basic, Garritan World Instruments, Windows7