MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Classic Organs Collection: Emulate Stops?

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Classic Organs Collection: Emulate Stops?

Postby Credo » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:38 am

I'm curious if there is a way to mute/unmute the Garritan Player's mixer channels via MIDI?

I'm also wondering if there might not be a way to edit the SFZ files and make a KS show up for each organ preset that'll simply turn the rank on/off. I.E. If C1 is on, let the rank work...if C1 is off...mute the whole channel.

The idea is to make it so I can load up 16 ranks in an ARIA Player instance and use MPC pads (Akai MPK261) to emulate organ stops. My MPC controller has 16 pads that are capable of sending the MIDI note On/Of message of my choice, over the channel of choice per pad, in momentary or toggle mode, with a choice of channel or poly pressure. It can also be set to send program/bank changes with the pads. Unfortunately the pads won't send programmable CC messages or I'd just do simple CC7 or CC1 toggles to emulate 'muting'.

I did pick up a book with the SFZ opticodes listed but haven't had time to dig in yet....so any tips that might work in setting up a 'key switch' would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Last edited by Credo on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Re: Classic Organs Collection: Emulate Stops?

Postby briff » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:27 am

I use Reaper's actions for that purpose. I set up combinations in separate Aria instances and then assign arm and unarm to some midi notes (or CC's)
The advantage is that this way I can record the switches, disadvantage is that I cannot easily switch just ranks.

briff

Postby Credo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Thanks briff,

I've mapped out some methods to get halfway there with a combination of DAW functions (MIDI message transformations and remote track muting stuff) but so far it's still pretty awkward. In my case I've simply taken the approach of using the multiple-output version of Aria to give each channel its own audio stream, and then mute-unmute across the DAW's mixing desk with remote mapping. The gotcha with this approach is that ARIA, having no idea some of it's voices are muted, still burns up the computing resources for every rank whether it's being 'heard' or not.

At this point I'm thinking having all the ranks set to OM in Aria, driving the whole Aria Instance through the same DAW 'track', and putting key-switches into the SFZ files themselves will be the best long term method for what I have in mind. Hopefully I'll have a chance to 'study up' on the possibility of this soon. The main reason I'm leaning toward this approach (if possible) is because it'd be nice to be able to do it all with note on/off messages, and still have it work no matter what 'midi channel' is used to talk to the player.

For future versions of the Aria player...it'd be cool if they could add a flexible way to remotely punch the mute and solo buttons across Aria's built in Mixer (maybe with an XML file or something that lets the user choose what MIDI channels and command(s) can get the job done). Even better if the muted channels stay in memory, but don't use voices and processing time when muted.

Credo

Software Owned:
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby Derrek » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:59 am

My question is whether you are planning to use this setup to play live or whether you are using it to generate a WAV or MP3 audio file.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby Credo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:35 pm

Derrek,

Composing and converting MIDI sequences to audio masters is no problem at all. I just double/bounce tracks across the ranks as if I were composing for a combo or orchestra.

I have live playing in mind (and the possibility of easily capturing the spontanious ideas/playing over midi as I go).

I wouldn't bother with live-style stops if I didn't really like the blend and sound of this sample set :)

For now I've decided to just use all the MIDI faders and pots on the MPK2 over CC7 to lower/raise the volume of the ranks. I also discovered a row of buttons on the MPK2 that can be programmed to toggle CC7 between 0/127 over independent channels and virtual MIDI ports. Not quite what I had in mind because it requires a lot of MIDI rerouting through the DAW, but it works just as well.

Still in self tutoring mode on SFZ opcodes....I see no reason why I can't make key switches for my favorite organ rank sets once I master how it's done.

Credo

Software Owned: