MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Percussion Maps

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Percussion Maps

Postby Ron. » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:08 pm

Where can I find sound and layout maps for all Garritan percussion libraries to be used in Finale? I am tired of endlessly searching through the pitiful few supplied by MakeMusic that are filled with errors and omissions. I would be willing to pay for a complete and accurate set.

What I want: if I load a GM Classic Jazz Drum Kit in the Aria player, then I want to find a percussion map called "GM Classic Jazz Drum Kit" that contains every instrument in that library and then, when I go to the layout maps, I want to find one called "GM Classic Jazz Drum Kit" that contains every instrument in that library. This sort of thing should come with the libraries automatically. Ever since MM got rid of the simple percussion interface that made finding any percussion instrument a snap with this indirect, misleading, and woefully inadequately documented "new, improved system," I have been unable to use any but the most basic percussion instruments. I'm tired of this. I bought all the Garritan libraries to expand the percussion choices I had available. Almost every time I require a percussion instrument I have to open a support case and am lucky if the support person even understands what I am talking about. ("I want to use a tablas." seems to be beyond their comprehension and I am liable to get a lecture about using channel 10 for percussion, as if I am an idiot.)

Is there anyone, anywhere who understands this system and can supply me with what I need (and what every user should have)?

Ron.

Software Owned:
Finale 2014c; GPO4, JABB3, C0MB2, GIO, Basic Steinway, World Instruments, Plogue Free Sounds, GiFF.

Re: Percussion Maps

Postby Michael.B » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:06 am

Hello Ron,

I understand entirely how you feel Ron. I gave up using Finale's Percussion Layouts years ago and started using a normal stave with the appropriate clef and the actual MIDI notes for the percussion instruments.

This way I effortlessly get the exact percussion instrument I want every time stress free. I realise that this does mean a separate score for playback and for a presentation conductors' score but I haven't looked back since.

So, for example, if I want a 'Garbage Can Lid with Car Keys' from the JaBB Classic Kit, I would enter an F# (MIDI Note 78) and no hassle. I realise that this may not be for everyone who prefer to work with one score both for playback and Conductors' but it really does work for me. :)

Ron. wrote: ..... What I want: if I load a GM Classic Jazz Drum Kit in the Aria player, then I want to find a percussion map called "GM Classic Jazz Drum Kit" that contains every instrument in that library and then, when I go to the layout maps, I want to find one called "GM Classic Jazz Drum Kit" that contains every instrument in that library.

Ron, is this what you're looking for? This image from the JaBB Manual shows the Percussion Maps for the 'GM Drum Kit, the 'Classic Jazz Kit', the 'Fusion Kit' and the 'Brush Kit' containing all the instruments and their assigned notes and MIDI note numbers or are you looking for a different resource to this?

JaBB Drum Kits Percussion Maps Please click on the image for full size.

I hope this has been of some help Ron. :)

Michael

Michael.B

Postby Ron. » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:38 pm

Thank you, Michael.

It is discouraging to read that someone as experienced as you are can't figure it all out either. What on earth are the folks at MM thinking? Thanks for the layout of the JABB percussion, but I have the paper manual--which is a godsend. I wish the other libraries had as detailed documentation as this.

I don't understand the thinking at all behind the "new improved" system.

Ron.

Software Owned:
Finale 2014c; GPO4, JABB3, C0MB2, GIO, Basic Steinway, World Instruments, Plogue Free Sounds, GiFF.

Postby Michael.B » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:17 am

Hello Ron,

To be honest, since I went over to my way many, many moons ago I haven't really looked again at the Finale Percussion Layouts.

There have also been grumbles about them in the Finale Forums. I'm more than happy with my method and it works really well for me.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael.B

Postby Hymnopolis » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:53 pm

Ron,

I hear you man. It took a while for me to master the 'art' of percussion MIDI mapping, however there is an improvement ( at least I think ) in the 2014 version of Finale. In the percussion layout designer, there is now a way to only show notes that are included in the selected MIDI map, which leaves little room for error when designing your own percussion layout. I am not sure if this will help you, but I thought I should bring it up

Attachments
Percussion layout.PNG
Percussion layout.PNG (72.26 KB) Viewed 4143 times
Hymnopolis

Software Owned:
Garritan Libraries:
GPO4
JABB 3
IO
WI
Harps

DAW: