MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Garritan and Yamaha Motif

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Re: Garritan and Yamaha Motif

Postby SysExJohn » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:44 am

My pleasure, Joe,

It is worth while IMO taking a little while (not too long) considering just exactly what it is one wants to achieve, maybe examining too whether or not there might be alternative ways of achieving one's intended outcome and looking around at present and past products that might help achieve one's objectives.

Of course, things like budget, intended platform, availability of used equipment and perhaps, quite importantly, the learning curve needed to understand different ways of achieving the same end (i.e. how long it might take to switch from hardware based sequencing to e.g. a DAW).

Certainly reading SoS product reviews featured significantly in my choice of hardware.
There was a learning curve in understanding how PatchMix DSP (the E-MU GUI) worked, but well worth while in the end. I'm quite sure it's not everybody's cup of tea, but it suits my needs well.

Some random thoughts!
Kind regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Re: Garritan and Yamaha Motif

Postby buhardilla » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:12 am

I've got a motif rack-XS and, of course, several Garritan libraries ;)
I use my Motif as a server workstation to my DAW (contrary to your setup) but I think that you want to get isn't very difficult. Cubase is the best DAW choice for a Motif user. Steinberg is property of Yamaha and that's mean Cubase&Motif will be the combo perfect. My recommendation is a firewire DAW/Motif connection. This protocol can transmit both audio and MIDI data between your Motif and Cubase. In this way you must get a mLan FW expansion board for your Motif and a PC with firewire port (a laptop will be enough). Follow Cubase guide instructions about Midi, audio and Virtual instruments setup. Use Cubase for midi sequencing and mixing, finally record your work at maximal high quality redirecting the audio steams in your Motif through FW.
You can get this goal with other DAW (I'm a DP user) but I think that Cubase will be easiest
Best
Jose

MacOS 10.9# Mac Pro 3,66Ghz hexacore# LogicPro 10# DP 8.05 #
buhardilla

Software Owned:
GOP 4, JABB 3, G World instruments

Previous