MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Midi Controllers/Trigger Pads

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Midi Controllers/Trigger Pads

Postby MusicalHart24 » Mon May 26, 2014 10:26 pm

Does anyone know if there is a way to assign Aria/GPO or certain piano keys to trigger pads? I'm wanting to assign percussion instruments to trigger pads, i.e. GPO Basic Orchestra Percussion (bass drum, snares, timpani, & cymbals) to dedicated trigger pads. I have an M-Audio Oxygen 41-key (2014 model) midi controller, which has trigger pads.

Christopher C. Hart
Composer
https://soundcloud.com/cchmusic
https://www.youtube.com/user/musiccreator24

M-Audio Keystation 61es
M-Audio M-Track Interface
M-Audio BX5 D2 Studio Monitors
ASRock-AMD FX 8-core, 4.4GHz
32GB RAM, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
MusicalHart24

Software Owned:
Cakewalk Sonar X3 Studio
EastWest Symphonic Choirs
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
Garritan Instant Orchestra
Garritan World Instruments

Re: Midi Controllers/Trigger Pads

Postby Daniel Bendshadler » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:31 am

If I understand correctly what your looking for is the ability to do a custom keyboard mapping?

You could probably perform the magic sequence to remap individual keys listed in the appendix 23B of your midi controller manual but it would probably be too painful to perform if you wanted to switch back and forth between a piano mapping to a drum set mapping to a timpani set mapping etc. I would go crazy doing this all day. This sort of thing is better handled on the software side of things.

Some DAW software will have key remapping buried in their list of features. There are also various midi VST plugins that could perform this function but if your using Cakewalk Music Creator 5 these may not be great options.

For your case I would use a re-mapping program like MidiOx to intercept the signals from your midi controller and then send the modified midi data down a virtual midi channel (Midi Yoke, or LoopBe) to Cakewalk.

This should accomplish what you want to do with the benefit that you could save your configurations as different .oxm profiles in the options>datamapping tool that you could load up as necessary.

The down side is that this is by no means easy to setup as is likely to stretch your technical side. The first step is to setup the port mappings between MidiOx and Midi Yoke so that data reaches cake walk. This is a bit of a trick but there are lots of information available on how to do this. The next trick is to mess with the key mapping using the "options>data mapping" tool which is powerful and straight forward but also a bit intimidating. It's just something you would have to play with.

Not an easy option, sorry. Hopefully someone has a more elegant suggestion.

Daniel Bendshadler

Software Owned:
GPO, IO, JABB, COMB, World, FL Studio

Postby MusicalHart24 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Okay, my situation is different, now, than what I had when I initially posted this topic. I have Sonar X3.

I was wondering, when I'm able to map to my triggers and what not, does this mapping apply to all tracks, or can I use a different mapping per track? I have several percussion tracks, but each track has a different percussion instrument loaded within the same instance of Aria. I have Bass Drum, Timpani, IO's Earth Drums 2 & 3, IO's Cymbals and FX, all loaded in the same Aria Player, assigned to its own track/channel. Now, if I map keys based on the Earth Drums to my triggers, will this mapping be applied to all of the other instruments, or just to one track. Can I apply a different mapping for each individual track, or would I need to have a dedicated trigger pad device for each different mapping for each different track?

I'm also looking to get Korg's nanoKontrol 2 controller for easier mixing. Each controller has 8 channels (faders, mutes, solos, records). Could I assign all Aria Players (in this case 8 Players) to their own channel to the nanoKontrol, to be able to control volumes for all Players? Is this idea do-able, or would someone propose something different. What would be the best way to accomplish what I want to do if it's not a great idea to assign all Players to the controller? I'm thinking, if I didn't assign Players to the controllers, I would need multiple nanoKontrol devices to accommodate 32-40 + midi channels. Please, if anyone has any great ideas, let me know.

Christopher C. Hart
Composer
https://soundcloud.com/cchmusic
https://www.youtube.com/user/musiccreator24

M-Audio Keystation 61es
M-Audio M-Track Interface
M-Audio BX5 D2 Studio Monitors
ASRock-AMD FX 8-core, 4.4GHz
32GB RAM, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
MusicalHart24

Software Owned:
Cakewalk Sonar X3 Studio
EastWest Symphonic Choirs
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
Garritan Instant Orchestra
Garritan World Instruments

Postby Reegs » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi Christopher,

Check out the Drum Map Manager. You'll need to make some custom drum maps -- one per instrument in Aria -- and you'll see that each track can have its own mapping which then will forward the proper note on to the channel in Aria that you specify. Each track in Sonar can support one or more instruments in Aria as it can forward information on multiple channels. You'll be limited by the input notes. When you switch active tracks, the mapping it uses will also switch. :)

Regarding the nanoKontrol, consider trying something like this. Those faders in Aria reflect the volume of the corresponding instrument, which is MIDI CC7. Assuming you map everything linearly (Aria Ch1 = MIDI Ch1, Aria Ch2 = MIDI CH2 etc), set up the nanoKontrol faders for channels 1-8 CC7, and if you can use the tracks channel to bump "banks" set 9-16 for transmit on the remaining MIDI channels. I believe that the active or open aria instance will then respond to your commands. For persistent control you may need to set it up as a Control Surface instead of a MIDI controller. I'm unsure of how X3 has those arranged, but you should be able to configure it to play nicely.

Reegs