MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Violins bowing for Ravel's Bolero 2 themes and ostinato

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Violins bowing for Ravel's Bolero 2 themes and ostinato

Postby boulifb » Fri May 23, 2014 3:27 am

Hello everyone,

I'm desperately searching for the bowing notations for the two themes and ostinato of Ravel's famous Bolero. What would be good is to have the score of the two themes and ostinato with bowing notation. Bowning notation is unfortunately not written on the score. :(

As I can't get any good video that shows violonist's bowing, can any one or violonist give me the correct bowing to improve realism of my new reconstitution with GPO?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Fred.

boulifb

Re: Violins bowing for Ravel's Bolero 2 themes and ostinato

Postby Michael.B » Tue May 27, 2014 1:15 pm

Hello Fred,

It would be unlikely to find any published scores with strings bowings shown. Although there are certain bowing conventions such as a down bow on the stronger beats, this can and does vary. In my experience, when an orchestra rehearses a new work, the strings bowings are usually decided by the leader in collaboration with the conductor/director for the players to mark in. Other string players may well have a different experience.

Michael

Michael.B

Re: Violins bowing for Ravel's Bolero 2 themes and ostinato

Postby SysExJohn » Wed May 28, 2014 4:13 am

Hello Fred,

If you go to the IMSLP and search "ravel bolero" you will find that, as well as the full score, there is a set of parts available. A quick look at the violins I revealed that there is some bowing shown there. Otherwise I concur with Michael.

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.