MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

using notation version

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

using notation version

Postby willard » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:42 pm

I use Music Creator 6; and Sonar X3; Print Music and Music Maestro 4; GPO 4

Looking thru the GPO 4 manual there is no information that I see that shows how to implement the KS function in midi files. The information supplied is entitled:

Keyswitching (Changing Articulations and Techniques In Real Time). However, I want to use this function within a midi file.

There is a block within the subject heading that - to me - implies use within a midi file:

Always put the Keyswitching note for the particular instrument 'before' the first note of the articulation you want to play, not at the same time!

My question is how to implement.

I've tried using two staves set to the same channel with the KS note placed a measure before the change

I also tried using grace notes on a single staff.

I have searched this forum; and the NS forum and Print Music and finale.

Any info greatly appreciated

willard

Software Owned:
GPO 4
JABB
Print Music 2011
Print Music 2012
Sonar X3
Windows 7
Aria 1.092

Re: using notation version

Postby rbowser » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:51 pm

willard wrote:...Keyswitching (Changing Articulations and Techniques In Real Time). However, I want to use this function within a midi file.

There is a block within the subject heading that - to me - implies use within a midi file:

Always put the Keyswitching note for the particular instrument 'before' the first note of the articulation you want to play, not at the same time!

My question is how to implement...

When this topic came up awhile ago, a Finale user said he programs his articulation expressions to engage those keyswitches. So when he inserts Pizz., for instance, that triggers the pizzicato keyswitch.

I use Sonar, and of course everything is much more straight forward in a DAW program. There, in the Piano Roll View, you simply insert the appropriate keyswitch note in the MIDI track where you want it. That's how you add it to your MIDI file - It's just another layer of data, some more notes, and MIDI files can have an infinite number of layers - so I'm not clear why you're finding it hard to "use this function within a MIDI file"--?

Those quotes you pulled from the manual are talking about using a program like Sonar - changing articulations in real time - But it doesn't have to be real time, which would be from playing the keyswitch notes with a keyboard - they can be hand inserted, as explained above.

The other way to do it in notation is to also insert the appropriate note in those lower octaves where you'll find the keyswitches, and then to hide the note from being displayed.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Re: using notation version

Postby Derrek » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:05 am

rbowser wrote:When this topic came up awhile ago, a Finale user said he programs his articulation expressions to engage those keyswitches. So when he inserts Pizz., for instance, that triggers the pizzicato keyswitch.

I use Sonar, and of course everything is much more straight forward in a DAW program. ...

I do not know what version of PrintMusic the OP is using, but in Finale the process of applying some keyswitches is just as simple as in Sonar, since the "pizz." and "arco" expressions flip the keyswitch for you. One only has to "program" more arcane keyswitches.

I do not know if PrintMusic has the same pre-programmed expressions as Finale, but the OP should take a look and see. (Make sure to use the "notation" instruments rather than the "standard" to take advantage of these FInale--and presumably PrintMusic--Human Playback features.)

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7