MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

How to create /choose a realistic violin sound

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

How to create /choose a realistic violin sound

Postby dai phan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:45 am

Hi all,

I purchased the GPO yesterday with the intention of getting a good solo violin or cello voice to put in the ending of my virtual piano track. I have difficulty choosing the one that gives me the realistic sound and I am sure I am missing something. Could you please advise me on some patches with the settings? Also how do I slow the attack of the violin? That means the instruments "enters" slowly and then fades slowly to make it more "lush". I eagerly await your guidance. Thanks Dai

dai phan

Re: How to create /choose a realistic violin sound

Postby rbowser » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:02 pm

dai phan wrote:Hi all,

I purchased the GPO yesterday with the intention of getting a good solo violin or cello voice to put in the ending of my virtual piano track. I have difficulty choosing the one that gives me the realistic sound and I am sure I am missing something. Could you please advise me on some patches with the settings? Also how do I slow the attack of the violin? That means the instruments "enters" slowly and then fades slowly to make it more "lush". I eagerly await your guidance. Thanks Dai

Dai, I think you'll be better off using section string patches. The soloists in GPO work in the context of an ensemble, but don't stand on their own very well. They are small samples, and you can't control the vibrato.

But since you mention wanting lush, slow strings, I am rather sure it's actually the full string sound you're wanting on your piano track. In fact, you should try the section patches labeled "Lush" - that's exactly what they are.

Velocity (how hard a key is struck) controls how soft or hard the start of a note is. So use very low velocities to get that softer attack you want. The rest needs to be done by playing the volume - Best if you can do it with a keyboard, using the ModWheel, which controls GPO instrument volume. You could have strings start from nothing and gently fade in. Basically - you need to really play the instruments, or do a good job of simulating them being played, with the use of MIDI controls.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626