MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Setting up Marching Band template in Logic Pro X

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Setting up Marching Band template in Logic Pro X

Postby Brad Pearson » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:42 pm

Hey all,
my first post in the new forum!

I have primarily used COMB in Finale (for a number of years now...), but this year I want to change my writing pattern so that I begin the process in Logic so I can make the most of what a dedicated sequencer can offer, especially in terms of routing each instrument to a different track in the mixer for, well, mixing...as well as having each instrument capable of receiving the midi information for cresc., decresc., etc...

I know that in the past I've seen an illustrated guide for setting this up in previous versions of Logic. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!
I have just tried setting up a WW section. I created a new, multi-timbral track in Logic. I selected the Garritan Aria player (16xmono) tracks. I added the WW instruments I wanted, then went to the mixer to create the aux tracks to receive individual audio. It's not working, so I'm here for help...

Thanks, Brad
the attachments show the Aria set up, the mixer set up and the tracks set up as for now.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 6.40.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 6.40.57 PM.png (84.39 KB) Viewed 4063 times
Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 6.40.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 6.40.28 PM.png (182.19 KB) Viewed 4063 times
Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 6.40.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 6.40.28 PM.png (182.19 KB) Viewed 4063 times
Brad Pearson

Re: Setting up Marching Band template in Logic Pro X

Postby rbowser » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:34 pm

OK - this clenches it. We just Gotta get some Logic power users into this Forum. Before the last couple of months, it was extremely rare for me to see posts anywhere from Logic users trying to use Garritan. I've never worked with the program, so don't have answers - Every time a question comes up, I look up what I can online, and am presented with the manual pages and tutorials that at least make it clear that Logic is very different from any DAW software I've ever used. I can't make head nor tail of it!

You can't have separate tracks for each slot in ARIA? They all have to be on that one multi-track?--In your screenshot, it looks like the M/Mute buttons are activated - those aren't muted?

But if you look around here, you'll see other new Logic users who are confused and unable to get things to work. We've been trying to help, but not knowing the software has prevented us from getting very far. Michael and I use Sonar - I'm beginning to think Sonar must be the "DAW software for simpletons" program, because all this basic stuff is extremely simple. We insert ARIA, we get our tracks, we start working. All these multiple windows, and unusual terms I see in the Logic info, it all looks very arcane and dense.

Sorry. I don't know any answers. Hope more Logic people show up here - That company must be picking up in sales or something, the way the original Garritan Forum and this one have so many Logic user questions. But the program is Greek to me!

EDIT: Why does it say "Classic electric piano" in your ARIA screenshots? And why are those two shots the same?

Randy

Last edited by rbowser on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby rbowser » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:35 pm

rbowser wrote:OK - this clenches it. We just Gotta get some Logic power users into this Forum. Before the last couple of months, it was extremely rare for me to see posts anywhere from Logic users trying to use Garritan. I've never worked with the program, so don't have answers - Every time a question comes up, I look up what I can online, and am presented with the manual pages and tutorials that at least make it clear that Logic is very different from any DAW software I've ever used. I can't make head nor tail of it!

You can't have separate tracks for each slot in ARIA? They all have to be on that one multi-track?--In your screenshot, it looks like the M/Mute buttons are activated - those aren't muted?

But if you look around here, you'll see other new Logic users who are confused and unable to get things to work. We've been trying to help, but not knowing the software has prevented us from getting very far. Michael and I use Sonar - I'm beginning to think Sonar must be the "DAW software for simpletons" program, because all this basic stuff is extremely simple in Sonar. We insert ARIA, we get our tracks, we start working. All these multiple windows, and unusual terms I see in the Logic info, it all looks very arcane and dense.

Sorry. I don't know any answers. Hope more Logic people show up here - That company must be picking up in sales or something, the way the original Garritan Forum and this one have so many Logic user questions. But the program is Greek to me!

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby rbowser » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:41 pm

This YouTube video may be helpful:

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby sica203 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:16 am

rbowser wrote:Michael and I use Sonar - I'm beginning to think Sonar must be the "DAW software for simpletons" program, because all this basic stuff is extremely simple. We insert ARIA, we get our tracks, we start working. All these multiple windows, and unusual terms I see in the Logic info, it all looks very arcane and dense.

EDIT: Why does it say "Classic electric piano" in your ARIA screenshots? And why are those two shots the same?

Randy

Sonar, it's not for simpletons, I've used it before and I loved the layout and the way it did things. I quit it because me and Windows didn't like each other too much.
Logic used to be owned by Emagic, you might recall that name. Apple bought them a few years back and became Apple Logic Pro and up until 2 years ago, used to cost $1000. Now, ever since the Apple store, you can purchase it and download it for $199. Yes, no kidding (market shares anyone)? and still comes with everything included such as: VIs, reverbs, delays, compressors, limiters, you name it in it's all there, plus. The program is a mammoth. I stopped using it because SMPTE is always off a few frames and never matches the time code burned on film, still the same today, but I need good syncing capabilities. I never understood why Logic has to be so complicated. It took me 2.5 months, every day to be able to work without the manual.
I'm not downing Logic at all, It's an excellent program, but I need to work.

@bradpearson,
YouTube has a wealth of tutorials in general about Logic, check them out.

Adriano

Temp setup, new studio in progress:
iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 32 GB of ram
Digital Performer 8.5
4X2TB External HD
sica203

Postby Brad Pearson » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks for the input so far.
sica203 - thanks for chiming in. It only occurred to me later to search YouTube...

rbowser, I appreciate the YouTube link. It made me think to search with a different query. Here's what I came up with, which has helped me immensely, since Logic Pro X has made the process *much* simpler. The video I'm linking to uses Kontakt, but the principle is the same for Aria, and worked really well. (by the way, when he says "quick tutorial", he does mean *quick!!*)

(the muted channels in my previous post were just part of my effort to isolate instruments to hear where they were in the channel assignments. As for the confusing track name, Logic assigns a name to the track created when "open library" is selected in the track creation dialogue. The default is the electric piano, hence that name appearing. The screen grabs are duplicate because I was in a hurry and uploaded the wrong one from my desktop.)

Thanks again. I'll post additional information as I learn it.

http://youtu.be/DClpU2i5xe4

Brad Pearson

Postby rbowser » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:03 pm

Brad Pearson wrote:... Here's what I came up with, which has helped me immensely, since Logic Pro X has made the process *much* simpler. The video I'm linking to uses Kontakt, but the principle is the same for Aria, and worked really well. (by the way, when he says "quick tutorial", he does mean *quick!!*)...

Excellent, Brad - Now that makes much more sense - more, um-LOGICal. That video I found showing settings a multi-timbral synth in the previous versions of Logic is jaw droppingly complicated, all the object inserting, cabling, Environment set up, aux inserts etc--Well, I guess they meant for the program to be purely modular, with the potential to hook up things in a zillion ways. But geez, what people really need is just to insert the danged synths, have tracks to work with, and start recording!--like what I'm used to in Sonar.

This video was crystal clear. I'll post the link on another thread where another Forum member could make use of it. Thanks.

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby Brad Pearson » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:21 pm

Thanks, Randy.
I'm sure I'll be back with more questions, but hopefully more COMB-related.

By the way, I just finished setting up a HUGE (for me, anyway...) template in Logic. I went ahead and set up busses for the woodwinds, brass, and percussion. Would you call them sub-busses or sub-masters? They allow me to do a section volume adjust quickly. I might become addicted to that power and create high, mid, and low WW and brass busses to have *ultimate* power!

Sorry, late in the day, and I'm feeling a little punchy...

: )
Brad

Brad Pearson

Postby rbowser » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Brad Pearson wrote:...I went ahead and set up busses for the woodwinds, brass, and percussion. Would you call them sub-busses or sub-masters? They allow me to do a section volume adjust quickly...

Excellent going with the template. - In Sonar, we just call what you're describing "Buses." All Buses are sub-Masters actually, when you consider that the Master itself is just a dedicated bus that has Everything pouring into it.

But that's exactly the right approach - Have your instruments of one section go into a Bus dedicated to them. You can do all the individual instrument volume work you want in each track, but with the Bus, you have instant control over the group volume - Saxes too loud in this one part? -bring 'em all down with one control.

Sounds like you're doing well. Keep it up!

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626