MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

How to us KS instruments

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

How to us KS instruments

Postby willard » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:23 am

I can not understand the KS implementation.

For example: I would like to switch from a legato flute to a trilling flute for a few measure and then back. How is this accomplished?

Willard

willard

Software Owned:
GPO 4
JABB
Print Music 2011
Print Music 2012
Sonar X3
Windows 7
Aria 1.092

Re: How to us KS instruments

Postby gogreen » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:33 am

Are you using Finale, and which product? If you're using Finale, and note that I use Finale 2011, you can assign your instruments to Aria channels. Then create expressions to assign notes or measures to the correct channels. Remember to reassign notes or measures to change them back, if you want to do that.

I'm in a hurry, so I can't post examples, but I will later if they would help.

BTW, set up your profile and signature so that your messages specify your software and hardware. That saves time in replies and back-and-forth when you want help.

Art

Arthur J. Michaels
https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
Finale 2000 to Finale 2014.5 (currently using 2014.5)
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Postby willard » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:37 am

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using Print Music. I load midi files into GPO but want make changes were I can. With KS how do I change the file, while its playing, or while stopped? I have a smattering of ignorance concerning MIDI, do I need to program those changes within PM (I don't know how to make CC changes).

Thanks
Willarde

willard

Software Owned:
GPO 4
JABB
Print Music 2011
Print Music 2012
Sonar X3
Windows 7
Aria 1.092

Postby Michael.B » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:48 am

willard wrote:I can not understand the KS implementation.

For example: I would like to switch from a legato flute to a trilling flute for a few measure and then back. How is this accomplished?

Willard

Hello Willard and welcome to our forums.

To achieve a flute trill there is no 'Key Switch' (KS) for the flute. You just need to apply the 'tr' articulation and ensure that 'Human Playback' has been selected. (This is usually applied by default).

In the top menu, click the 'Articulation' icon then click on the note and the 'Articulations' window should open. Select the 'tr' articulation and it will be applied to the note. The flute trill should now playback (with Human Playback selected).

I would add that some GPO4 instruments do have a KS for trills such as 'Section strings'. You can see the instruments KSs in the GPO Manual or, alternatively, if you load a KS instrument in the Aria Player, the bottom left area (next to the Modwheel) will show the KSs available. Just click in that area to list available KSs.

willard wrote: ..... I'm using Print Music. I load midi files into GPO but want make changes were I can. With KS how do I change the file, while its playing, or while stopped? I have a smattering of ignorance concerning MIDI, do I need to program those changes within PM (I don't know how to make CC changes).

Thanks
Willarde

A 'Key Switch' is just a note that is out of the range of the instrument and therefore non-sounding that is programmed to change the instrument technique in some way. For example, in a flute there are key switches to change to 'Vibrato', 'Non Vibrato' and 'Flutter Tongue'.

This is a large subject of it's own and it is really better that you read the GPO Manual for more information on the subject of KS.

However to answer your questiion on how to change an instrument technique in Finale, there are a few ways to do this including:

(a) Use a different layer for another instrument.
(b) Create an expression to change a KS.
(c) Create a new 'Staff Style' to change instrument.

Of these, using a different layer is the easiest and the way I would go. For those few measures, just input the notes in a different layer then assign that layer to the instrument you want.

If you are not sure how to assign instruments then this is easy to do and your manual should help you with this.

Michael.B

Postby willard » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:02 pm

Michael

Thanks for the tips.

Your explanations made the instruction in the manual a little more clear for me.

Willard

willard

Software Owned:
GPO 4
JABB
Print Music 2011
Print Music 2012
Sonar X3
Windows 7
Aria 1.092