MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

notes have turned grey on score

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Re: notes have turned grey on score

Postby kingfreeze » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:27 am

Thanks fellows, and derrick is probably correct. I have been experimenting with layers. However, the only place I did so most likely is bar 2, 2nd stave. At some point later, finale decided to make the other non layer bars Grey. As you can see, I did access the move copy box, but am unsure what that means. These are experiments, so it's not a big issue, I am merely trying to understand. I will continue with this piece and read your comments and study the issue some more. This should have been posted in troubleshooting, I'll pay closer attention next time.

Attachments
IMG_00000349.jpg
IMG_00000349.jpg (812.42 KB) Viewed 3337 times

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Derrek » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:56 am

The red notes in measure four are layer two. So I doubt you only have layers in your second measure. Layer four is customarily blue, which might be mistaken for gray, and layer three is green which (especially if one has a little red/green color blindness) might also appear grayish.

I hesitate to blame Finale for arbitrarily messing with you when, as you said, you were "experimenting." Definitely learn to use layers (by experimenting, if that's how you learn best) because layers are a very powerful and valuable tool in FInale.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby kingfreeze » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:15 pm

Aha..the red notes, you noticed ! Thanks for the info Derrick. And I did not intend to "blame" Finale, I am aware that these people that developed this software, as well as everyone I've met here are brilliant people. And I am a novice. I will study using layers. Thanks to all. best....

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:19 am

kingfreeze wrote:Aha..the red notes, you noticed ! Thanks for the info Derrick. And I did not intend to "blame" Finale, I am aware that these people that developed this software, as well as everyone I've met here are brilliant people. And I am a novice. I will study using layers. Thanks to all. best....

Hello Steve,

I have put together a tutorial on using layers with screenshots that might help.

All the following are from Finale 2011. Hopefully this will translate to Finale Print Music 2011 which you are using.

1. First I would suggest that you identify which colours your 'Print Music' is using for the layers so you can identify at a glance the layers assigned in your score.

For this, go to: 'Edit - Program Options - Display Colours'.

This will show the present colour scheme in Finale 2011 including the colours assigned to layers. These can all be edited to your own colours if you prefer.

Screenshot 1: Finale 2011 Display Colours Options

Screenshot 2: Finale 2011 Display Colours Including Colours Assigned to Layers

2. Now that you know the layers colours, look through your score to see if you want to move anything from one layer into a different layer. In my next screenshot I want to move notes that are in Layer 2 into Layer 1.

To move layers, first make a selection of the bars/measures you want to change. Next, go to: 'Edit - Move/Copy Layers' as shown in my next screenshot.

Screenshot 3: Edit Layers Dialogue

3. In the Edit Layers Window I am going to select options to Move the contents of Layer 2 into Layer 1. My third screenshot shows these options selected.

Screenshot 4: Move Contents Of Layer 2 Into Layer 1

My next Screenshot shows the score with the notes that were in Layer 2 are now in Layer 1.

Screenshot 5: Previous Layer 2 Notes Have Now Been Moved Into Layer 1

4. To end, I'm also going to Move the contents of Layer 3 into Layer 2.

Screenshot 6: Moving Notes In Layer 3 Into Layer 2

My final screenshot shows that the notes that were in Layer 3 have now been moved into Layer 2.

Screenshot 7: Notes From Layer 3 Now Moved Into Layer 2

I hope this helps with understanding layers a bit more. :)

Michael

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:00 am

thanks Michael, for this very complete tutorial. I need to think this over for awhile before I could comment. I also discovered the 8 finale tips and tricks videos on the website I need to view and understand. And probably get my chops a little more honed before attempting another piece. good luck !

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:05 am

kingfreeze wrote:thanks Michael, for this very complete tutorial. I need to think this over for awhile before I could comment. I also discovered the 8 finale tips and tricks videos on the website I need to view and understand. And probably get my chops a little more honed before attempting another piece. good luck !

Hello Steve,

That's fine. The tutorial will be here should you need it. In fact I think I might just add a tad more info and make this a 'Michael Memo'. ;)

Michael.B

Postby KCNC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:36 pm

God bless you! Was pulling out my hair trying to figure out what to do about the gray notes in my daughter's music. She is applying for a songwriting scholarship, and I keep experiencing glitches with Final Songwriter and Print Music. Changing layers did the trick! I kept trying until I found the right layer and copied into Layer 1.

KCNC

Previous