MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

notes have turned grey on score

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

notes have turned grey on score

Postby kingfreeze » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:13 am

Well, I have hit another bump in the road. While working on a piece using world instruments and GPO4 in finale 2011 at some point some of the notes turned grey and I am unable to articulate those grey notes. The grey notes are both world and GPO4. Oddly, it is confined to only part of the score, and other staves are unaffected. I am able to delete a bar of grey notes, and paste the same bar back again, but the notes are still grey. ideas ?

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Re: notes have turned grey on score

Postby Michael.B » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:34 pm

kingfreeze wrote:Well, I have hit another bump in the road. While working on a piece using world instruments and GPO4 in finale 2011 at some point some of the notes turned grey and I am unable to articulate those grey notes. The grey notes are both world and GPO4. Oddly, it is confined to only part of the score, and other staves are unaffected. I am able to delete a bar of grey notes, and paste the same bar back again, but the notes are still grey. ideas ?

Hello Steve,

Those grey notes are so-called 'hidden notes' and are non-printing. To return them to full view you have a couple of options.

To return a selection of grey (hidden) notes to normal view, go to: 'Plug-ins/Note, Beam and Rest Editing/Notes and Rests Show.

To return individual grey notes to normal view you can use the 'Speedy entry' tool. Just click on the note and select the letter 'o' to show the note. (The letter 'h' will hide the note and rest.)

I would also mention that notes and rests hidden using the plugin do actually play-back but notes and rests hidden using the 'Speedy Entry' tool don't play back.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:05 pm

Michael: To go to "plug ins", do you mean "midi>device setup>manage vst plug ins"? I used all keyword from your post above, and the web guide provided no information I see. I have many bars that turned grey, and would like to return the "selection" of notes to normal view. By the way, this version IS print music, why would I not want notes to be visable, and yes, the score does play.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:35 pm

kingfreeze wrote:Michael: To go to "plug ins", do you mean "midi>device setup>manage vst plug ins"? I used all keyword from your post above, and the web guide provided no information I see. I have many bars that turned grey, and would like to return the "selection" of notes to normal view. By the way, this version IS print music, why would I not want notes to be visable, and yes, the score does play.

Hello again Steve,

Ah .. No, this is different to the VST Plugins. At your top menu, do you have a 'Plug-ins' option there?

If not, first try your 'Speedy Entry' tool to see if you can change those notes back to 'normal' just to check that these grey notes really are 'hidden notes' in Print Music.

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:56 pm

no sir, I do not see anything anywhere that says "plug ins", using the speedy entry, it did change the half rest to solid, and some of the notes in the voicing on beat 3 ,second stave down. as I remember , I did nothing to change the score, did what I've been doing.

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.32 MB) Viewed 5466 times

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby gogreen » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:06 pm

I'm not sure if this works in print music, but in my Finale 2011, if you're in speedy entry, place the cursor on the note or rest and press h. You can toggle between hidden and printable notes and rests with the "h" key.

Art

Arthur J. Michaels
https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
Finale 2000 to Finale 2014.5 (currently using 2014.5)
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Postby Derrek » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:15 pm

That looks like notes in different layers (like layer 4) to me.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby gogreen » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:15 pm

That looks like notes in different layers (like layer 4) to me.

I think Derrek is right.

Art

Arthur J. Michaels
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Postby Michael.B » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:38 am

kingfreeze wrote:Well, I have hit another bump in the road. While working on a piece using world instruments and GPO4 in finale 2011 at some point some of the notes turned grey and I am unable to articulate those grey notes. The grey notes are both world and GPO4. Oddly, it is confined to only part of the score, and other staves are unaffected. I am able to delete a bar of grey notes, and paste the same bar back again, but the notes are still grey. ideas ?

Hello Steve,

Derek has made a very good suggestion.

If you inadvertently switched to another layer for a section and that layer uses grey notes then there you have it.

In Finale layers can be changed by using 'Edit' from the Menu bar. It's a case of selecting the area to change then going to: 'Edit/Move/Copy Layers.

Michael.B

Postby gogreen » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:14 am

Kingfreeze: To use the move/copy utility in Finale 2011, select a measure or measures first. Then, at the top left, click "Edit." In the dropdown menu, select "Move/Copy Layers." In that window, first choose move or copy, and then an option below that choice. Then in your choice's dropdown menu, choose the layer to which you want to move your selection. You can move any layer to any other layer.

I'm not sure if this works in PrintMusic as it does in Finale, but from the looks of your attachment, it appears it would work the same.

Art

Attachments
move-copy.png
move-copy.png (7.89 KB) Viewed 5447 times
Arthur J. Michaels
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Next