MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

OK. Now what?

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Re: OK. Now what?

Postby rbowser » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:55 pm

sus4 wrote:..I downloaded the link of sound sets that you posted and I've decided to work in my DAW.

OK - and you know those sound sets aren't for your DAW program, but your notation program, right?

Have you gotten involved with your notation program's Forum? It's excellent, very active, lots of questions answered, tons to look up. And all your trying to do is use ARIA - It's class 101, it's all there in a one page document. Sorry, but I don't have any idea why you're still having problems with all those resources there ready to tell you step-by-step how to do it.

I think I should know this, but I forget--remind me what recording program you're using.

sus4 wrote:...I'm still having a problem...I can't get all the instruments to playback together at the same time.I did a test recording of just 4 bars. All the instruments are on separate midi channels and I changed the outputs 1/2, 3/4 etc for all the instruments. I even tried leaving them all on 1/2 output. I just recorded 2 saxes. I can play them back separately, but not together. What do I need to do?

Probably need to read the manual for that program too. Maybe it's Sonar? It has excellent built in tutorials, some are video, showing you how to use soft synths. I have no idea what you're doing wrong.

sus4 wrote:...there's another problem...When I hit playback and stop it the mod wheel on ARIA shuts off and I have to push it back up to turn it on. I was having this problem before, but I read in the manual you had to have a separate track for the audio to come out of ARIA which I do...

Sounds like Sonar - In Preferences, you need to uncheck the option which by default resets all MIDI controllers to zero every time you stop. With that UNchecked, then whatever level of CC1 you're at when you stopped playback will still be there when you start again.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby sus4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:16 pm

Yes, I understand the sound sets are for my notation program not my DAW, which by the way is Logic Express.
So here is the situation, I can and I have gone to my notations forum, but cannot participate because unfortunately I have an unregistered version. There is another forum that I go to that uses the same notation program I use, but they're not that involved with JABB and not that much help....and besides as I said in my previous post, I decided to work in my DAW not my notation program.

Now the situation with my DAW program.....I called them and they told me they do not support my DAW any more. They now offer support for Logic Pro X which I don't have and don't intend to get. So, unfortunately, that's where I'm at with that. I know when I do record something in my DAW without using ARIA and just using their own sounds I have none of these problems. Everything plays back fine. I'm still wondering if any of this has to do with my upgrade to the latest OS, which is Mavericks, in my Mac...I don't know.

I looked in Preferences in my DAW and didn't see anything that resets all midi controllers. I'll look again, maybe I missed it.
Thanks,

Peter

sus4

Software Owned:
Sibelius 7, Logic Express 9, JABB3

Postby rbowser » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:00 am

sus4 wrote:Yes, I understand the sound sets are for my notation program not my DAW...

Good, I couldn't tell, since you said that you had downloaded the sound sets and would be using your DAW software--Being in one sentence, it looked like there was supposed to be a connection between the two things.

sus4 wrote:...I have gone to my notations forum, but cannot participate because unfortunately I have an unregistered version...

well. Now that is unfortunate. Register your program. If you can't, then there's a problem. But even a bootleg copy would have a manual, I would think. Here it is in case you haven't found it:

Notation user manual

sus4 wrote:...the situation with my DAW program.....I called them and they told me they do not support my DAW any more. They now offer support for Logic Pro X which I don't have and don't intend to get...

Why don't you want to get the real version of that program? If you don't like the light version you have, then look into other programs. In fact, I encourage you to do that. My impression is that Logic is probably the least Logical recording program out there.

sus4 wrote:...just using their own sounds I have none of these problems.

It's different using third party instruments.

Have you looked at the Logic Express manual? Here it is, open to the page about what they call "multi-instrument objects"--

Logic Express manual -"Multi-Instrument objects"

And, last not but least - Here's something called "Google" - the thing I've used to help you:

Google

Peter. You need to get yourself some real programs, and ones you can register. Then you need to learn as much as you can from the manuals and Help files those programs have. That's where we all start. We figure out as much as we can on our own. Then, when you're into the area of needing helped with more advanced issues beyond simply plugging in instruments and using them, then people on Forums like this will be interested in helping you out more.

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby sus4 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:59 am

Randy,

You're a generous and patient person. Thank you. I'm not being patronizing I mean it sincerely.

Yes, my copy of my notation program is a bootleg version and yes it has the full manual which I do refer to. (I don't like to read manuals. I find them boring that's why I personally do better when things are explained to me)

I never thought of Logic Express as a lite program. I always thought it was pretty comprehensive. Even though I've had that program a long time, I'm not to big on midi. I've had my notation program a long time too and I'm also not too big on notation. My experience with these programs is not a lot, I do manage to get out of them what I need in spite of my struggle with them. My DAW is not a bootleg version. It's legit and registered and I do look at the manual reluctantly. Thanks for going to the trouble of finding it and posting it, but I do have it.
You may be right about it being the least logical, I don't know. I've never worked with another one and I really don't want to start "learning" another one.

You mention the "Multi-Instrument Objects" in LE, well, I've seen that before and I'm not sure it's that's what I need to do. The reason that I say that is because I just received an email from Chester, he's with MakeMusic..I'm sure you know that, and he told me to go in Preferences in LE. Here's what he wrote: "There is a feature within Logic's program preferences that is literally called "Send Reset Messages To Software Instrument" and you probably have "Control 1(Mod Wheel) checked. You will want to uncheck that message so that ARIA Player does exactly what you don't want it to do. By default Logic should have this turned off."
I did that and it worked. It was nice of him to respond to me because I wasn't so nice when I asked MakeMusic for help.

I do use Google very much and can't imagine anyone who is into the internet as much as I am not using it. I guess I must have given you the impression that I'm a novice with the computer and the internet. Sorry.

As far as getting some "real programs", I feel I do have them I just don't try hard enough to understand them. I will take your advice and start reading the manuals more.

Thanks again,

Peter

sus4

Software Owned:

Postby rbowser » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:35 pm

This is good news that Chester knew about that setting in Logic that's been messing you up. Does that mean you're totally good to go now?

I was indulging in a bit of sarcasm last night when I facetiously introduced you to Google--hehe--I was joking that maybe you could do more searching online for answers. I'm always finding new Forums for programs I use - I had to do that this morning when I was having problems with Open Office. I didn't need to post a question, I hardly ever need to. I search the Forums for info I need, and usually come up good.

Nobody likes to read manuals. They're a drag, but that's what we gotta do to get up to speed as much on our own that we can. We can't rely on people to spoon feed what we should have learned from reading, or expect people online to re-write manuals for us. You know what I mean.

--wow - your notation program is a bootleg. That's - stunning. :shock: I have never, I mean literally Never seen anyone on a music Forum admit they're using a bootleg copy of a music program. -- I don't know what to say except--wow--it's an amazing confession to see posted. I wouldn't bring that up again - You're undoubtedly going to be needing more assistance as you go along, and some people could feel disinclined to help someone using stolen software.

But, back to my opening paragraph - It sounds like you mean your main problems in Logic are fixed, and you're able to get control over ARIA with your keyboard the way it should. If that isn't the case, let us know.

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby sus4 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:00 pm

I don't think I'm totally good to go just yet, but I'm definitely on my way. Chester said that he used to use Logic and that's why he knew about my problem.

Maybe I used the wrong term "bootleg". I didn't steal it. I bought it from a website that I found awhile ago, but I didn't pay anything near the actual price and you can't register it or get any upgrades. So, maybe bootleg is the wrong term.

I don't know why, but the arrangement that I did in my notation program is sounding pretty good (in my notation program) and the sounds are coming from ARIA. Maybe it's because of the sound sets you told me to download.

It seems that it's starting to come together "slowly" in my DAW which is what I'm going to be using first instead of my notation program from now on. But, there is another issue that I'm dealing with, and I'll try to find the answer in the manual first.

Peter

sus4

Software Owned:

Postby rbowser » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:56 pm

Ah! I see, Peter - I thought you were saying "bootlegged" as in "pirated." Well dang! That's pretty bogus for the website to be selling bootlegs. Well, hopefully your copy functions correctly.

Just open the ARIA instances in the program and look to see what's loaded. You can do that from the mixer. You'll probably see your JABB instruments in there, but there's no reason for it to be a mystery - just take a look. Installing those sound sets was mandatory for the program to use JABB - There was more information there about using third party instruments. If you haven't really read it yet, I encourage you to.

In Logic, in any DAW program - once things are set up, ARIA loading correctly, keyboard behaving - the rest really is icing on the cake. You just start making music!--and then details about how to do this and that will come up, naturally.

If you have questions specifically about JABB, this is the place for them. As you can see, trying to get specific info about Logic or another notation program isn't as likely to be answered.

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby Michael.B » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:44 am

Hello Peter,

Well, I've just stumbled across these further posts since my last reply; I received no notifications as I have done previously.

Anyway, I have to say I read some of these posts with astonishment; the posts regarding the unregistered software, until it became clear what had happened.

Unfortunately there are those sites that offer software at hugely discounted prices when really they are just pirated and then sold cheaply.

However, moving rapidly on, as Randy has written, we are, of course able and willing to help with JaBB and within DAWS where we can. As you know, both Randy and I use Sonar and it is with these that we can be of particular help otherwise it's an 'internet search' job.

There have been quite a few requests for help with Logic Pro and the more I read about this the more I also query the 'Pro' label but that's irrelevant. Unfortunately we don't seen to have replies from Logic Pro users that I've seen.

If there are any 'Logic Pro' users 'in the house', do please help out otherwise it's down to internet searches which is what Randy has done. :?

Peter, I really hope that you can start making some progress now that we have 'cleared the mist'. Again I can confirm substantially that JaBB is 200% and works beautifully in a DAW; I know, I used it exclusively, daily, for the past year with my Christmas track. There were absolutely no issues and I could do practically anything I wanted jazz-wise in my song.

In the meantime, sorry, but there is little I can offer to help with Logic Pro much as I would like to, other than ... 'Internet Searches'. :|

Michael.B

Postby rbowser » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:18 am

Peter, it's likely that the copy of your notation program is an "OEM" version - That's the type that comes bundled with other programs, or pre-installed on computers, sometimes used for promotions and the like. This morning I easily found a site selling your program very cheaply, and the site actually said, proudly at the top of their page "OEM Software Discount." I don't get that at all, because OEM software isn't supposed to be sold separately - they aren't retail copies.

I had my own experience of buying what turned out to be OEM software, and in my case, it was quite a horror story.

Video software from a major company was being sold through a major online all-purpose shopping site. The price was lower than other places, so I bought it. Download only - I instantly had Big Problems. Not only did the program lock up, but all sorts of things started going wrong with what was then my brand new computer which I'd had less than a month. Tech support for the video company ended up needing to have remote access to my computer. I watched as the techie started deleting and moving things around on my hard drive like crazy. - This is the short version - It went on for hours, and over the course of two days. Something the tech support discovered not long into trying to fix things, was that my copy of the program was OEM. He explained it was an illegal copy, and that something about it in particular was wreaking havoc on my computer. Brother was that an understatement. My DVD drive stopped being recognized, trying to open most anything caused the computer to lock up - it was impossible to shut it down without pushing the panic button - ETC etc -

It was hopeless, the program wouldn't work, and my machine wouldn't either. I had just finished a very long, laborious job of setting all my programs up on it, but I had to start completely over with re-installing Windows - there was no back up image - I had my computer tech do it all.

Once I was up and running again, I explained what happened to the online retailer - With no hesitation, they refunded my money - They knew they were in trouble with the video company for being caught selling illegal copies.

- Footnote - I see that the program I tried to install is still being sold at that site - but my negative review outlining my horrible experience is posted there. Hopefully what they're now selling isn't the same bogus, screwed up OEM mess I had!

There - That should make you feel better. At least your program works!

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby sus4 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:44 am

Randy, I don't think what I bought was OEM. I think these companies crack the code of the software you're buying and then sell them, but like I said, you can't register them nor can you get updates for the program. I really never had any problems with the program. I can't believe what you went through. We're always trying to save money, but in the long run you're really better off buying the legitimate one because of the tech support and the updates and of course you feel better morally.

Peter

sus4

Software Owned:

PreviousNext