MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

inner outer voice movements

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Re: inner outer voice movements

Postby Michael.B » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:08 pm

gogreen wrote:Just to be clear, ritardando and rallentando are different. Choose carefully.

As a shot in the dark, if variations of these markings aren't working, you might try "ritard." for a ritardando and "rallen." for a rallentando. As I said, just a try from left field.

Art

Hello Art,

Yes, I know rit and rall are different. I'm afraid to have to say it but the problem is Finale 2014 .. Human Playback is broken to quite an extent in it. For example, none of the articulations work in Layers 2, 3 and 4 and velocity is broken in Layer 1. Human Playback also doesn't recognise some Garritan libraries at all including the Strad and Gofriller .. etc, etc, etc.

MakeMusic are aware of all this and they have their hands full repairing HP and reinstating things and so on.

When 2014a was released we all thought HP was repaired as it was initially listed but this was an error and so now we anxiously await 2014b. :x

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:28 pm

Yes Michael, I didn't want to point out that they were 2 different directives. Plus, I have enough to work with now, and all things in due time. I am successfully using world with gpo4, and getting faster at using the softwares. Very happy with results. There are markings I see missing, and markings I'm not sure what they are yet. But slowly understanding one task at a time. I hope you're well.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:53 am

kingfreeze wrote:Yes Michael, I didn't want to point out that they were 2 different directives. Plus, I have enough to work with now, and all things in due time. I am successfully using world with gpo4, and getting faster at using the softwares. Very happy with results. There are markings I see missing, and markings I'm not sure what they are yet. But slowly understanding one task at a time. I hope you're well.

Hello again Art,

It's great everything is good there for you. I think Finale 2011, which you are using, is the last version where Human Playback and most other things are working properly. Even the 2012 version messes up the MIDI file when exported. It's wonderful to be able to put a marking in a score whether it's an articulation or a text marking such as 'rit', 'ritard', 'rall' and actually have these interpreted like they used to be.

Still, as you say you have enough resources to work with and and you are very happy using GPO4 and World. You are also getting faster at using Finale and the libraries and understanding more and more and that's fantastic.

I think we're all doing great here and working well together, now, we just need that 2014b and watch for the rejoicing in our forums. I think there'll be quite a party. :D

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:03 am

thanks for responding Michael. Kingfreeze is Steve, I should have used a different moniker. yes, I am using finale 2011 print music, I have only experimented a couple of times with the text editor as far as text editing, I forget if it worked or not, this being said, I will look into it again and use "rall." and see how the software acts. Using garritan and finale is such a multi faceted process that I find myself stumbling on multiple queries, and adding new learned concepts one by one. some by accident, some deliberate. Another question I had is can one create quintuplets ? again, in the expressive menu box, there are texts that I don't understand what they are, I have a dictionary of music terminology in my office, and try to learn these, but am not alway able to find the expression symbol. For example, there is one text that is an asterisk , I don't know what that does. perhaps I'll take a picture of that menu and create another thread . Again, so much to understand, I take it issue by issue. Luckily, thanks to you and Randy's guidance, once world got properly configured, everything seems stable and for the most part non problematic. I will see you in the media room time to time.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:03 pm

kingfreeze wrote:thanks for responding Michael. Kingfreeze is Steve, I should have used a different moniker.

Hello Steve, nice to meet you my friend. :)

kingfreeze wrote: ..... Using garritan and finale is such a multi faceted process that I find myself stumbling on multiple queries, and adding new learned concepts one by one. some by accident, some deliberate.

I know how you feel Steve but please don't feel you have to stumble around. The manual isn't always terribly helpful and if you have any queries don't hesitate to aske here and we'll help if we can.

kingfreeze wrote: ..... Another question I had is can one create quintuplets ?

In Finale it's quite easy to create quintuplets. I don't know if it will be the same in 'Print Music' so I'll describe it as in Finale and hope that will help.

Step 1: Select the note value of your quintuplets. For this example I'll use quavers (8th notes).
Step 2: Select the 'Simple Entry Tuplet' icon.
Step 3: Place your cursor in your score where you want to create your quintuplets.

My first screenshot shows those three steps.

Step 4: With your cursor pointing to the first quintuplet note in your score, hold 'Shift' and click. This will open 'Finale's Simple Entry Tuplet Definition' box.
Step 5: Enter the definitions for your quintuplets. For this example I've selected 5 quavers (8th notes) in the time of one crotchet (quarter note).

My next screenshot shows steps 4 and 5.

Step 6: Now you can enter all five notes of your quintuplet.

My third screenshot shows the completion of the quintuplets.

kingfreeze wrote: ..... For example, there is one text that is an asterisk , I don't know what that does.

One use of an asterisk in Finale is to hide or unhide a rest when using the speedy entry tool.

I'm not sure how the above will translate onto Finale Print Music but I hope there's enough there to help. :)

Michael

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:43 pm

wow Michael, I'll need to read this a few times and I'll let you know if I am able to do that, I'm still struggling with layers. you have contributed to this forum immensely , I am able to go back and study items as I need. it seems this forum is much more informative than the northern sounds forum, makemusic did a great job with the layout. I am a novice at the other site, but plan to revisit. good luck, and thanks.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:59 pm

it works ! This is HUGE. Thanks again !!!

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:37 am

kingfreeze wrote:wow Michael, I'll need to read this a few times and I'll let you know if I am able to do that, I'm still struggling with layers. you have contributed to this forum immensely , I am able to go back and study items as I need. it seems this forum is much more informative than the northern sounds forum, makemusic did a great job with the layout. I am a novice at the other site, but plan to revisit. good luck, and thanks.

Thanks Steve,

That's kind of you. Layers shouldn't be too much of a problem so do ask if you need any help with those.

It might be worth starting a new thread if you need any further input with Finale. :)

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:24 pm

That's kind of you. Layers shouldn't be too much of a problem so do ask if you need any help with those.

Michael: I realize this thread meandered over a variety of issues, however, the initial post dealt with moving voices within harmonies. I realize to do this deals with shift>apostrophe. Which enabled me to do exactly what I wanted to do. I still kinda don't get the layers thing, but that's cool. I am discovering the wealth of information in finale, northern sounds, and garritan forums. It was only now that I found out how to use the "quotes" that I see in here. Good luck .

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby kingfreeze » Fri May 16, 2014 4:41 pm

wow and wow...I just discovered how to use layers. Excited to use them in a choral part of a piece I've started. It's been bugging me for 5 months. This opens up many more possibilities.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Previous