MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

inner outer voice movements

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

inner outer voice movements

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:31 am

Hello: Is it possible to move voices within a given harmony using finale ? Simply, if I have block chords, can the voices move between the voicings ? I have tried to notate a chord using quarter notes combined with eighth notes thinking I could enter another eight note as an inner voice movement, and don't understand using this yet. It is probably simple, I am guessing you can.
Also, is there a rallentando option ?

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Re: inner outer voice movements

Postby Derrek » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:37 am

Are you talking about using what Finale calls Layers? If so, yes, you can use layers to create two (or more) melodic lines on one staff.

One can use "ritard" as a Finale command to slow music down. It usually helps to put a target tempo marking (shown or hidden) where you expect the slowing to stop. The ritard does not seem to be linear, if that is what you expect; you get a gradual slowing at the start and greater slowing later. SO many people use MIDI tempo controls to create a more precise change of tempo.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks, Derrick. Regarding "layers". If I have 4 harmonies that are quarter notes, in between the harmonies I want to insert eighth notes, so I can move voices within the chord (harmony), can you direct me where to find this ?

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:02 pm

I see, the keywords are multiple voices. And got it to work, thank you !

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby greyfox73 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:47 pm

Derrek wrote:SO many people use MIDI tempo controls to create a more precise change of tempo.

You can do that, but that's also what human playback is for. The use of rit (which you can relabel as rall. which I do all the time) along with "a tempo" works really well. You can also edit the speed of the rit. I will demo that for you soon as I have some time.

Gary

greyfox73

Software Owned:
GPO4, JABB3, COMB2, World Instruments, Instant Orchestra, Garritan GoFriller Solo Cello, Garritan Orchestral Strings, Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin, Finale 2011, Finale 2012, Sonar X2 Producer

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:30 pm

thank you, Gary. I would love to see the demo.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:44 pm

greyfox73 wrote:
Derrek wrote:SO many people use MIDI tempo controls to create a more precise change of tempo.

You can do that, but that's also what human playback is for. The use of rit (which you can relabel as rall. which I do all the time) along with "a tempo" works really well. You can also edit the speed of the rit. I will demo that for you soon as I have some time.

Gary

Hello Gary,

It would be interesting to see your demo.

At present the marking of 'rit' or 'rall' is not functioning in either Finale 2012 or 2014. Human Playback is not currently picking this up and applying it. :(

Michael.B

Postby greyfox73 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Sorry to hear that, Michael. Wow! I'm currently working on that demo in my version of 2012 and so far it's working the way it's suppose to whether I'm using rit or rall. Can't imagine why it would quit working for you. Check your Human Playback settings and let me know what you have and I'll compare it with mine and get back to you.

greyfox73

Software Owned:
GPO4, JABB3, COMB2, World Instruments, Instant Orchestra, Garritan GoFriller Solo Cello, Garritan Orchestral Strings, Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin, Finale 2011, Finale 2012, Sonar X2 Producer

Postby Michael.B » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:57 pm

greyfox73 wrote:Sorry to hear that, Michael. Wow! I'm currently working on that demo in my version of 2012 and so far it's working the way it's suppose to whether I'm using rit or rall. Can't imagine why it would quit working for you. Check your Human Playback settings and let me know what you have and I'll compare it with mine and get back to you.

Hello Gary,

Thanks for the info; it's much appreciated. :)

The marking (rit) is now working in my finale 2012. I checked the MIDI file in Sonar and sure enough there it was in the Tempo view.

However, it is broken in Finale 2014. This is not really surprising as Human Playback is seriously broken in Finale 2014 with so much of it not functioning.

Make Music is aware of the problem and a fix is promised. We thought this would be in the recent 2014a update but it wasn't to be. We're all hoping the 2014b update will see it repaired and fully functioning. :x

Michael.B

Postby gogreen » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:18 pm

Just to be clear, ritardando and rallentando are different. Choose carefully.

As a shot in the dark, if variations of these markings aren't working, you might try "ritard." for a ritardando and "rallen." for a rallentando. As I said, just a try from left field.

Art

Arthur J. Michaels
https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
Finale 2000 to Finale 2014.5 (currently using 2014.5)
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Next