MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Newbie question

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Re: Newbie question

Postby Derrek » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:28 pm

rbowser wrote:Unfortunately, the user can't use HP and the MIDI Tool at the same time.

Of course one can export a MIDI file from Finale and then use a DAW to take it further. That way, one can gain the benefit of Human Playback as a starting point, but of course one must also own a DAW (and know how to use it) to gain the benefits of both.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby rbowser » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:43 pm

Derrek wrote:Of course one can export a MIDI file from Finale and then use a DAW to take it further...

Absolutely, Derrek, and a lot of people work that way. I just wish that the user could use both HP and the MIDI Tool at the same time, because there are so many MIDI CCs that really bring life to the samples when they can be directly worked with. It's the old supposedly impossible dream of having one mega-program that could combine everything in Finale with full DAW software capabilities.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Michael.B » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:34 pm

sus4 wrote:I went on to a (edited .. notation) forum and I was told that JABB was primarily made to run on a DAW. Although they said it will still sound good on (edited .. notation) So, what is the opinion out there? Do you guys run JABB on a DAW or Finale or (edited .. other notation) or both.
What is the best way, if there is a best way, to use JABB?

By the way, I just ordered JABB.

Looking forward to your answer(s).

Thanks again.

Hello Peter,

I have been using JaBB in Finale for many years now and I can vouch that it does indeed sound pretty good. It is true that within Finale we can add all kind of performance data including dynamics, phrasing, articulations and a huge variety of performance text markings. On top of all that, in Finale, we have the legendary Human Playback which applies a range of humanising features.

However, I do find that for the ultimate control over my performances, for me nothing can match the endless control of a good DAW and for me this is Sonar. I take the MIDI file from Finale into Sonar and there I craft my performances in a way I personally could not in Finale.

So you see, for me, I have the best of both worlds when using JaBB and I wouldn't be without these three.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy working (or playing) with your new 'shiny' JaBB. :)

Michael.B

Postby JOEANDTHEREVOLUTION » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Hello friends!

I may be wrong in understanding your intents when using Human Playback and the MIDI tool together, however there is a preference that you can set in your score to accomplish this. In the Human Playback preferences window in Finale, there is an to 'incorporate MIDI DATA' which would allow you to use any automation that you set with the MIDI tool as well as the human playback style that you have selected! I have done this with many of my scores to create fade out effects.

JOEANDTHEREVOLUTION

Software Owned:
The following Garritan Sound Libraries:
Classic Pipe Organs
Concert and Marching Band 2
Harps
Instant Orchestra
Jazz and Big Band 3
Personal Orchestra 4
World Instruments

Notation Software:
Finale 2012
Finale 2014

DAW:
Fruity Loops Studio 11

Postby rbowser » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:50 pm

JOEANDTHEREVOLUTION wrote:...there is a preference that you can set in your score to accomplish this. In the Human Playback preferences window in Finale, there is an to 'incorporate MIDI DATA' which would allow you to use any automation that you set with the MIDI tool as well as the human playback style that you have selected!...

Hi, Joe!

Interesting!--the quote I pulled out from you above. Earlier on this thread when I said that HP and the MIDI Tool couldn't both be used in a score, I was going by information on a MakeMusic help page. I wonder why that page is saying you can't use both?

Here's a quote from the page and a link to it:

"When any Human Playback Style is chosen, all other MIDI data deliberately applied to the document ,including data added with the MIDI and Expression tool, is ignored in favor of the Human Playback settings."

Finale Playback Settings

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Derrek » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:38 pm

The kind of MIDI data Finale HP can "incorporate" is MIDI data entered when one is inputting through a MIDI keyboard (say, through Hyperscribe). I do not believe it means one can incorporate MIDI data added via the MIDI Tool while using HP. That is the difference.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby rbowser » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:01 am

Derrek wrote:The kind of MIDI data Finale HP can "incorporate" is MIDI data entered when one is inputting through a MIDI keyboard (say, through Hyperscribe). I do not believe it means one can incorporate MIDI data added via the MIDI Tool while using HP. That is the difference.

Oh, I see. Well - that's unfortunate, and back to what I thought before. Ladling on the MIDI data in the PRV of a DAW software program is what brings things to life. It's too bad that the analogous MIDI editor in Finale is rendered nil when using HP. If the two things could be used in conjunction, think how much closer we'd be to The Ultimate Music Program!

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626