MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Jazz and Big Band Articulations

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Jazz and Big Band Articulations

Postby Louis92 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:13 am

Hi,

I've had Garritan Jazz and Big Band for a couple of weeks now and I'm struggling to work out how to get articulations working, i.e kisses, falloffs, doits, half valve and shakes. I work in Logic pro 9, has anyone else had the same problem or does anyone know what the problem may be?

Thanks,

Louis

Louis92

Re: Jazz and Big Band Articulations

Postby rbowser » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:02 am

Louis92 wrote:Hi, I've had Garritan Jazz and Big Band for a couple of weeks now and I'm struggling to work out how to get articulations working, i.e kisses, falloffs, doits, half valve and shakes...

Hello, Louis92

Before going over what's in the manual, I need to make sure you've looked at the information that starts on page 57 of your JABB manual. That PDF is found in the same folder with your Library installation. It describes the various MIDI CCs needed for the special articulations. NOTE, however, that two methods for Shakes are described. Skip the first method and go to the second which explains Auto Shakes, then the rest of the articulations are explained on the next page.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Louis92 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:26 am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have looked through the manual and haven't noticed anything to do with MIDI CCs needed for the special articulations, should there be an option for this once I am on the setting tab in the aria player?

Louis92

Postby rbowser » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:08 am

Louis92 wrote:... I have looked through the manual and haven't noticed anything to do with MIDI CCs needed for the special articulations

---Pages 57 and 58 of the JABB manual have charts of the MIDI CCs you need to work with, explaining what they do and how to use them.

Maybe you're looking at the short "Getting Started Guide" instead of the full manual. If so, open the full manual to those pages, and there's the info you need.

Louis92 wrote:...should there be an option for this once I am on the setting tab in the aria player?

The controls for those articulations are dynamic in nature, meaning you need to have the appropriate MIDI CCs in your project files, changing as per the values listed on those charts.

Let me know if you don't have the right manual or something - I could upload at least the pages you need.

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Louis92 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:10 pm

I've managed to find out about the MIDI cc's and what values I would need for each effect etc. I'm struggling to find out to go about selecting them in logic. I know how to draw in MIDI data but I've read somewhere I need to select CC15 from a drop down menu but can't find it. Sorry to keep posting back with different problems, I'm just not very experienced with logic 9.

Thank you for your help so far

Louis

Louis92

Postby rbowser » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:30 pm

Louis92 wrote:I've managed to find out about the MIDI cc's and what values I would need for each effect etc.

Hello again, Louis92, good to hear from you again.

I'm glad you "managed to find" the CC info - but hopefully it was just a matter of going to those pages in the manual I pointed out. All of them are listed in those charts, so hopefully that's what you've looked at now, maybe printed out for reference.

Louis92 wrote:...I'm struggling to find out to go about selecting them in logic...

I don't use Logic, but more questions have been coming up about it here and at the original Garritan Forum, because it seems like more people are starting to use it now. So I've been looking up info online as questions arise, and one thing which seems to be confusing to a lot of new Logic users is that apparently only one kind of MIDI data can be displayed at a time in its MIDI editor. That's unusual - Most DAW software will show the user as many different types of data at a time as their monitor can handle. For instance, I use Sonar, and in the Piano Roll View it's not unusual for me to have Velocity, Volume, Pitch Bend, Modulation, AfterTouch, and special case CCs which Garritan instruments use. It's all displayed on one screen below the notes - Certainly handy!

The most common term for the MIDI editor in a program is "Piano Roll View," and Logic has chosen to call that "Hyper Draw." Perhaps they thought it would be confusing to have more than one thing displayed at a time, but that does seem to be the case.

Here's the link with the info you need:

Logic Pro 9 User Manual - Using "Hyper Draw"

Go down about half way on the page and look at "To define other MIDI controllers in Hyper Draw." Basically it's saying you can select any kind of MIDI data to be displayed, but it looks like there's an extra menu to use for getting to those.

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626