MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Garritan in Sonar questions

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Re: Garritan in Sonar questions

Postby rbowser » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:45 pm

That is a major, glaring bug in Finale 2014, as far as I'm concerned. Not having MIDI tracks labeled?-- Awful. MM has to fix that pronto. They do have their hands full, working their way down what looks to have been an unusually long list of bugs in that new release.

gogreen wrote:I've placed the tracks in the order I prefer (score order), and I renamed some of them for easier identification. However, why do they have their original names in the right panes? Is this of any consequence?

It's of no consequence, Art. You're fortunate that the MIDI tracks themselves are labeled correctly, unlike in Finale 2014, as we can see from Michael's screenshot where not only are the track headers just labeled "ARIA Player," but the MIDI tracks themselves are labeled that way too.

You can re-name your tracks to whatever you want, as you've done. But that doesn't change any of the data in the tracks themselves, including the original names of the track. That's why you see the original names still displayed, such as "Trumpet in Bb," which is the name usually used in a score, but you could re-name the track anything, just a number if you wanted.

gogreen wrote:
Also, I've loaded two instances of the Aria player. I have successfully added instruments to the first instance, tracks 1-10. How do I add tracks 11-26 to the second Aria instance? I can bring up the second Aria instance, but how do I tell it its track 1 to really be track 11, and so forth? I've checked help files in Sonar, Garritan, and Finale to no avail on this.

Thanks.

Art, you can set your ARIAs up however you want. Since there's room for 16 instruments in an instance of ARIA, you don't have to load only the first 10 instruments in that first instance of ARIA. It sounds like you're confusing the track numbering in Sonar with the slots in ARIAs, when the two don't necessarily match at all. What's important is that in the Track Inspector (left side of the Sonar screen) you have each MIDI track directed to wherever you've loaded the instrument.

ARIA doesn't have "tracks" - It has 16 available MIDI channels, and 16 potential Audio outs, and of course the 16 slots where you load instruments. But it's only Sonar that has Tracks. So, in the example you used, you have a trumpet in track 11 of Sonar. What's important is what MIDI Channel is it set to, and to what instance of ARIA is it pointing? Just load the trumpet wherever it's convenient in ARIA - I would put it in slot 11 since you've only loaded 10 instruments in that instance, and then, as I'm saying, I'd just make sure I have the MIDI track in Sonar pointing to that particular instance of ARIA and the right MIDI Channel.

You're not stuck with whatever info came in that track header from Finale. Set your instances of ARIA up in a way that makes sense to you, and set Sonar's tracks however you need to get everything hooked up.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Derrek » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:17 pm

I tried sending a Windows Finale 2014 file through my Mac to generate a MIDI file to import into Sonar X3 Pro. No luck. For whatever reason, the instrument names did not port over via MIDI to Sonar even though they were present when I opened the Finale file on the Mac.

Vis...

Attachments
macMIDI.png
macMIDI.png (93.89 KB) Viewed 3670 times
Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby Michael.B » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:35 am

Derrek wrote:I tried sending a Windows Finale 2014 file through my Mac to generate a MIDI file to import into Sonar X3 Pro. No luck. For whatever reason, the instrument names did not port over via MIDI to Sonar even though they were present when I opened the Finale file on the Mac.

Vis...

Thanks for trying that Derek.

Methinks it will be some wait for MakeMusic to fix this.

Michael.B

Postby gogreen » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:59 pm

Progress! I've loaded two instances of the Aria player into Sonar, and I've successfully assigned Sonar's tracks to the correct midi channels in the two instances of the Aria player. I was having trouble getting Aria's channels to play nice with Sonar's tracks. I had to be careful because after each assignment, Sonar reverted to 1plyrARIA1, when I wanted the track to point to the second Aria instance. Problem solved. Another thing that made it easy (when you know how) is just to double-click the Sonar track's number to highlight it (blue), so Sonar knows I'm talking about that track.

The piece plays back nicely.

The Sonar help files are actually, well, helpful! 8-)

For my next trick (ba-dum-tsh), I'm going to read the help files on altering start/stop times and softening some of the attacks. Is PRV the best view in which to alter start/stop times?

Special thanks to Randy and Michael for your advice and help so far!

Onward!

Art

Arthur J. Michaels
https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
Finale 2000 to Finale 2014.5 (currently using 2014.5)
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Postby rbowser » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:46 pm

gogreen wrote:...I was having trouble getting Aria's channels to play nice with Sonar's tracks. I had to be careful because after each assignment, Sonar reverted to 1plyrARIA1, when I wanted the track to point to the second Aria instance. Problem solved.

I'm glad you're making progress and that you even have a piece playing back nicely, Art. - I would like to know more about this problem quoted above, though. After assigning a track to a soft synth, it won't change later. So, when you say, "Sonar reverted..." maybe you mean that after setting one track, when you moved on to the next, it would be sitting at that ARIA 1 instance, and you'd then need to re-assign it? That would be normal, as per the track's original assignment. Is that what you mean? If so - it really wasn't a case of Sonar not playing nice - I think you're only describing the way things work. Let me know if you mean something different.

gogreen wrote:...Another thing that made it easy (when you know how) is just to double-click the Sonar track's number to highlight it (blue), so Sonar knows I'm talking about that track.

That's what you do to make a full selection of a track, like if you want to copy and paste it. But just one click in the track header activates the track for it to be the track you're focused on. When assigning tracks to a soft synth, it's impossible to make the wrong selection, because you're just working with that one Inspector - I mean, you change something in it, and it's impossible for any other track to be effected. - Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean there.

gogreen wrote:...I'm going to read the help files on altering start/stop times and softening some of the attacks. Is PRV the best view in which to alter start/stop times?...

Do you mean when notes start and end? If so, then yes, the PRV is where you want to do that editing. In fact, the PRV is where you basically want to live in Sonar. It's the total heart of MIDI where you'll change when notes start, how long they are, and it's where you'll edit expressive volume data, vibrato - all the controllers. If the data you have is too scant, you'll want to draw more in, for instance. And the first pane in the PRV displays note velocities. That's where you'll change those as needed. First step there is if you a section with a string of notes all of the same velocity - you need to sweep through with your cursor and change all of them so no two velocities are the same for successive notes - and that's very fast to do. Then you'll edit individual note velocities when you find the need - to make a sharper or softer attack.

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby gogreen » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:53 pm

So, when you say, "Sonar reverted..." maybe you mean that after setting one track, when you moved on to the next, it would be sitting at that ARIA 1 instance, and you'd then need to re-assign it? That would be normal, as per the track's original assignment. Is that what you mean?

Yup. That's what I mean.

Do you mean when notes start and end? If so, then yes, the PRV is where you want to do that editing. In fact, the PRV is where you basically want to live in Sonar.

Yup. Mean that, too! I guess PRV and I are going to be pals.

Thanks, Randy.

Art

Arthur J. Michaels
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Postby rbowser » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:27 am

gogreen wrote:
So, when you say, "Sonar reverted..." maybe you mean that after setting one track, when you moved on to the next, it would be sitting at that ARIA 1 instance, and you'd then need to re-assign it? That would be normal, as per the track's original assignment. Is that what you mean?

Yup. That's what I mean.

Do you mean when notes start and end? If so, then yes, the PRV is where you want to do that editing. In fact, the PRV is where you basically want to live in Sonar.

Yup. Mean that, too! I guess PRV and I are going to be pals.

Thanks, Randy.

Art

Thanks for confirmation on those points, Art. On the first item about assigning tracks to a soft synth, it doesn't matter what the track's originally assigned to, you just need to make sure you get it hooked up in the custom way you want. If you insert a new, blank MIDI track, the default source will be whatever your primary MIDI device is - probably your interface.

For editing note lengths and start times, be sure to click that Grid in the PRV to turn it off. You'll see the blue square in the menu there. It's on by default, but with it on, you can only position notes according to whatever note value you have currently chosen. You don't want that - You need the Snap To off so you can move notes anywhere you want them in-between the quantization note-value points.

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby gogreen » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:23 am

For editing note lengths and start times, be sure to click that Grid in the PRV to turn it off. You'll see the blue square in the menu there. It's on by default, but with it on, you can only position notes according to whatever note value you have currently chosen. You don't want that - You need the Snap To off so you can move notes anywhere you want them in-between the quantization note-value points.

Roger that. Thanks for the tip!

Art

Arthur J. Michaels
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Previous