MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Garritan in Sonar questions

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Garritan in Sonar questions

Postby gogreen » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:40 am

I've brought up two Aria instances in Sonar, which I'll need for a piece. First, why does Sonar load apparently two tracks (27-28, and 29-30) for each Aria instance? Second, when I initially set up the tracks in the Aria player and then close that Aria instance, how do I reopen an Aria instance?

Thanks.

Art

Attachments
aria.png
aria.png (25.14 KB) Viewed 3849 times
Arthur J. Michaels
https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
Finale 2000 to Finale 2014.5 (currently using 2014.5)
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Re: Garritan in Sonar questions

Postby Michael.B » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:12 am

Hello Art,

Your screenshot flashed briefly on screen then disappeared. From what I saw briefly:

Tracks 27 and 29 are combined MIDI/Audio (Instrument) tracks.
Tracks 28 and 30 are just MIDI tracks.

Personally I wouldn't use the combined MIDI/Audio tracks; I think this is a fairly new feature for Sonar. I would always use a dedicated separate MIDI or Audio track.

Incidentally, which version of Sonar do you have?

Last edited by Michael.B on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael.B

Postby gogreen » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:33 am

Sonar X2 Essentials. So how do I reopen an Aria instance in Sonar?

Thanks, Michael.

Arthur J. Michaels
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Postby rbowser » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:26 pm

Art, I wouldn't be surprised if your X2 Essentials has the MIDI tutorials in its Help file, the way the rest of the versions do. As I recall, those do a good job of covering the often encountered issues that newcomers face.

BIG PLUS ONE to Michael's recommendation to not use the "Simple Instrument" option. Those are the combined MIDI/Audio tracks which are consistently confusing to users. Since both MIDI and audio are combined in that one track, it's unclear to a MIDI newbie what is really going on.

When you insert ARIA, there's a pop-up with options - Ask for separate audio and MIDI tracks. The program inserts a MIDI track where you record, and an audio track which carries the sound from ARIA. That's the basic set up, and fine for now. Note that Sonar will only insert one MIDI track for you, so you need to insert the rest you need by hand, using the Track Inspector/Header to the left of your screen to hook those MIDI tracks up with ARIA.

Sonar now has all these Screensets so you can set up the screen configurations you most commonly use and easily bring them up. The Synth Rack with ARIA and whatever else you have open, defaults to a window to the right. Look there and you should see an arrow that you click to have the soft synth list pop back in. Click ARIA to open the GUI and do what you need to with levels, reverb, MIDI knobs etc.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Michael.B » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:32 pm

gogreen wrote:Sonar X2 Essentials. So how do I reopen an Aria instance in Sonar?

Thanks, Michael.

Hello again Art,

Sorry for the delay, I had to leave the computer.

Ah .. I can see your screenshot properly now .. not sure what happened earlier.

Anyway, here's a screenshot to show Aria selection. In this I started a new Sonar file and added a few MIDI tracks and a couple of Audio. Then I added an instance of Aria.

Edit: Art, I initially put up the wrong screenshot. I've since corrected this so please take another look.

Hope this helps to get you under way. :)

Last edited by Michael.B on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael.B

Postby Michael.B » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:34 pm

Oooopps .. I missed Randy's reply there. I must have been getting my screenshot ready when he posted.

Hopefully, there's enough to get you going there. :)

Michael.B

Postby gogreen » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:01 pm

Thank you, Michael, and happy new year!

I see that by double-clicking on "1Ariaplyr1" at lower left brings up that Aria instance. What is "Omni" just above that?

I've saved your "insert softsynths options" graphic for future reference. As Randy suggests, do these settings create separate audio and MIDI tracks? Or is he suggesting different settings? I'm adding the Aria instance to load instruments for a MIDI file I've loaded from Finale--not new tracks created in Sonar.

Thanks!

Art

Attachments
aria.png
aria.png (20.56 KB) Viewed 3825 times
Arthur J. Michaels
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Postby Michael.B » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:43 pm

Hello Art,

.... and a happy new year to you too.

That 'Omni' is the input into that track. It just means that it will accept any input without having to setup channels etc. An input could either be hardware such a a MIDI instrument or software such as from a third party plugin you have loaded. It sounds that this is inapplicable in your case as you are not using any input into that track from anything so it can just be left.

You can open a MIDI from Finale in Sonar directly just by going to 'File-Open' then browse to your MIDI file and select that. The whole file opens with separate tracks loaded. No need to load any blank MIDI tracks.

If you are using Finale 2012 or 2014 the MIDI tracks are all named 'Aria' and you have to go through them to identify which track is which. This only happens with the Windows editions apparently. I have moaned to MakeMusic about it.

Anyway, all you need do then is open an instance of Aria, load up your instruments, point the Sonar tracks to your Aria channels and that's it.

This is also on my list for a 'Michael Memo' but this probably won't be ready until next week as I'm in the middle of another one.

Hope this helps. :)

Michael.B

Postby gogreen » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:47 pm

So far, so good. Yes, very helpful! Thank you, Michael.

Art

Arthur J. Michaels
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Postby rbowser » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:31 pm

gogreen wrote:...do these settings create separate audio and MIDI tracks? Or is he suggesting different settings?...

To be clear, for what Art's doing, there's one thing in your screenshot, Michael, which looks like it was accidentally left unchecked, and something else which didn't need to be checked.

When you insert an ARIA instance, the pop-up, as pictured in the screenshot, offers several things. You need to have some audio options checked so that Sonar will insert the audio tracks you need, and they'll be automatically hooked up to ARIA.

You have the options:

"First Synth Audio Output

"All Synth Audio Output: Stereo or Mono"

That first option is good for beginners and intermediate users. It gives you one audio track in Sonar which is hooked up to ARIA's first stereo audio out, the one labeled "1/2."

Advanced users prefer to have separate audio tracks for each instrument since it gives the user more control over the sound. If you choose the second option, "All synth..." then Sonar inserts 16 audio tracks which are hooked up to the 16 available audio outs from ARIA, labeled 1/2 through 31/32. I'm pretty sure you guys have seen enough of my posts to know that this is how I work - Each instrument has a MIDI track and an Audio track. After finishing the MIDI work, I bounced all those tracks down to full audio tracks that display the .wavs.

But the point is, you want to have one of those options checked - either to insert the First Synth audio or All Synth audio. If you don't then you'll need to do the unnecessary extra step(s) of adding audio track(s) and setting them up by hand to connect to ARIA.

Art, since you're using MIDI from Finale, you don't need to have Sonar insert any MIDI tracks when you insert an instance of ARIA. So, even though the screenshot is showing you to have MIDI Source checked, that will make Sonar insert a MIDI track that you're not going to need.

To re-cap: For what you're doing, Art, OPEN your Finale MIDI file in Sonar. DON'T IMPORT the MIDI into a project you already have opened. Just open Sonar, then Open the MIDI file. That way, your tempo data will be retained. If you import it, the tempo info will be ignored.

After your MIDI tracks open up, then insert ARIA and in the Insert Soft Synth Options pop-up, don't have MIDI Source checked, but DO have "First Audio Output" checked.

Then, load your ARIA(s) and in those Sonar controls on the left, set up each MIDI track to be connected to the appropriate slots in ARIA.

And, Art, if you're going to be setting up and using a template, as per Frank's advice in the NS thread, then you would open both the template and your MIDI file, and copy and paste the MIDI tracks into that template.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626