MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Is Garritan Personal Orchestra Worth It?

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Is Garritan Personal Orchestra Worth It?

Postby Ernest Buckley » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:59 pm

I`m considering purchasing Personal Orchestra before the sale is over tomorrow night but I`m not convinced from the demos or the reviews I`ve been reading. To be fair, I have read some very positive reviews but I`ve also read some negative ones so I`m a bit confused.

Looking for clarity...

Thanks,
EB

Ernest Buckley

Software Owned:
Finale 2014d.v5545, GPO 5, MOTU`s Digital Performer 8, Waves plug-ins, Native Instruments Komplete 9 Ultimate, Reason 7, Yamaha CP300, Apple Computers, Equator D5 monitors, ATH-M50 headphones

Re: Is Garritan Personal Orchestra Worth It?

Postby rbowser » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:07 am

Ernest Buckley wrote:I`m considering purchasing Personal Orchestra before the sale is over tomorrow night but I`m not convinced from the demos or the reviews I`ve been reading. To be fair, I have read some very positive reviews but I`ve also read some negative ones so I`m a bit confused.

Looking for clarity...

Thanks,
EB

GPO has been my primary software instrument Library for seven years now. I'm just as happy with it now as I was way back when I first got it.

Naturally, like any software, you'll find both positive and negative user comments - Frankly, you should always take both + and - comments for anything you buy with an extreme grain of salt. It's impossible to have much idea of what You'll think based on somebody else's experience, level of intelligence, expectations etc. etc.

If you haven't heard our Garritan Christmas Album - You should take a listen. The major sound source on those recordings is GPO. ALL of the instruments on the tracks are from Garritan Libraries. Naturally I hope you take a listen to my own piece also which is the last track on the album, "We Wish You a Merry Christmas."

After listening to those, if you still imagine you could find a better value for your studio budget dollar - I can't imagine which dimension you'd be living in! :D

Garritan Christmas Album 2013

Get GPO, then come back and join us here. We'll help with questions that may come up as you get started.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Michael.B » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:34 am

Hello Ernest,

I've been using Personal Orchestra for six years and I wouldn't be without it. Personally I wouldn't even consider supplementing it or even replacing it with some of the over-priced products available.

Listening to recordings produced using GPO (and other Garritan libraries) is, obviously, an important factor in making a decision. Apart from the demos you mention, have you auditioned other recordings made with GPO?

Randy mentioned our newly published Christmas CD Volume 10 which is entirely Garritan libraries. As he said, most of the tracks will be GPO. My own track, (Track 6) was made using Jazz and Big Band. There are nine more volumes of our Christmas CDs; all include GPO in their making. You can also hear more of Garritan libraries including GPO in our 'Media Room' in these forums.

Many of the negative comments I have seen are from those expecting 'out-of-the-box' instant results. This just will not happen with GPO or any of the Garritan libraries. Working with these does need some commitment, a learning curve and a willingness to work with the library to craft a performance.

Each and every track on the Christmas CD, for example, has taken time, perseverence, skill and, in my own case, a load of research. The results, though, speak for themselves. I would challenge anyone to beat the sheer quality of these recordings even with libraries costing thousands. I also love the flexibility of GPO. I can add whatever ambience I want, however much in whichever room; no hardwired reverb in GPO samples. I can add any articulation and vary the amount of that articulation as much as I want; I don't have to rely on hardwired articulations in the samples. Many of the samples are without vibrato so I can add and vary this as I want. There is so much more.

Then the cost of the library; present sale $99.95! Not much more to say about that. ;)

The bottom line is if you like the quality of sound you hear and you are ready to work with the library and to go through a learning curve of using various CCs (Continuous Controllers) and other techniques required to craft GPO into a performance .. and enjoy an unbeatable deal .. then this is it.

If you still remain unconvinced by the recordings you hear and am not ready for the learning curve needed, or prefer samples with built in reverb and a range of ready made articulations, then this is not for you.

I hope you feel that this is a fair summary and that it has been of some help. :)

Michael

Michael.B

Postby Ernest Buckley » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:29 am

Hi Randy and Michael,

Thanks for the quick responses. I listened to some of the Christmas album and I can definitely appreciate the work that went into the recordings. At this point, I`ll probably bite the bullet as they say and make the purchase.

I compose using Finale (2014) and I think this will be a nice supplement to my work there. Of course, as a performer as well, I`m very much interested in using GPO for recording and my concern is over the sound quality. From the performances I have heard, it does sound like the software is as good as the user and obviously that will range from amateur to professional.

Ernest Buckley

Software Owned:
Finale 2014d.v5545, GPO 5, MOTU`s Digital Performer 8, Waves plug-ins, Native Instruments Komplete 9 Ultimate, Reason 7, Yamaha CP300, Apple Computers, Equator D5 monitors, ATH-M50 headphones

Postby Michael.B » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:45 am

Ernest Buckley wrote: ..... I compose using Finale (2014) and I think this will be a nice supplement to my work there. Of course, as a performer as well, I`m very much interested in using GPO for recording and my concern is over the sound quality. From the performances I have heard, it does sound like the software is as good as the user and obviously that will range from amateur to professional.

Hello again Ernest

Ah ... I also use Finale 2014 for my compositions. Of course, with this you'll also have that indispensable tool 'Human Playback'. This will interpret the articulations and phrasing of GPO for playback.

However, for detailed crafting of my performances I then take the MIDI file from Finale into Sonar. There have been a few threads on this. A few people can make excellent recordings directly from within Finale using extensive (often hidden) score markings.

For me I do need to work on my Finale MIDI file in Sonar to have the endless possibilities that, I feel, only a DAW can offer.

Good luck with your new library. :)

Michael.B

Postby Michael.B » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:52 am

Ooooops .. I forgot to mention ..

Another advantage of GPO over other libraries for you is that GPO and other Garritan libraries integrate beautifully with Finale.

You can setup your score with Garritan instruments and playback directly in Finale.

Michael.B

Postby gen5rs » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:53 pm

Hey all,

In reading your replies, I'm hoping you can help me with my problem. I purchased Finale 2009 when it came out and have not been successful in getting the Garritan sounds to work (sound real). I realize it's been a number of years that I've been going w/o it, but I've gotten a new computer with windows 7 and I have a new need for real sound playback that I did not have before. Can any of you explain the process to set this up? I've tried following the tutorial #6 as suggested by the Finale (MakeMusic) techs to no avail. My new computer is a gaming computer with some of the latest, greatest sound and video ware installed. HELP!

gen5rs

Postby Michael.B » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:22 pm

gen5rs wrote: ..... I purchased Finale 2009 when it came out and have not been successful in getting the Garritan sounds to work (sound real).

Hello gen5rs and a warm welcome to our forums.

This probably would have benefitted from its own thread but it's fine here. :)

First, just three questions to clarify.

1. From your quote above I take it to mean that you are getting full playback of what instruments you have assigned. Is this correct?

2. If the above is correct then your query concerns just the quality of the sounds you have and that, as you say, they don't sound real. Is this right?

3. Are you using the bundled Garritan Instruments for Finale or are you using any of the full Garritan libraries such as GPO?

Assuming that it is just the sound you are unhappy with I'll throw out some observations.

1. Are you sure that you have loaded a Garritan library and not a softsynth?
2. If you have loaded a Garritan library, have you applied any ambience. This will provide a dramatic improvement and add life to the sound. (Though not too much as this will be counter productive.)

If you come back with these answers it will be very helpful. :)

Michael

Michael.B

Postby Ernest Buckley » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi Michael,

I purchased GPO, downloaded, and started to get acquainted with the sounds. I`m relieved to see so many options and as you mentioned in a previous post above, adding ambience does improve the sounds.

Reading that GPO worked as a plug in Digital Performer was a big reason in my purchase. I have not had the time yet (with New Years Eve/Day) to tinker with it yet but I would imagine you operate GPO in Sonar the same way… could you please expand a bit in how you use GPO in Sonar?

Any other suggestions to help me get moving would be appreciated.

Ernest Buckley

Software Owned:

Postby rbowser » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:54 pm

Ernest Buckley wrote:... Reading that GPO worked as a plug in Digital Performer was a big reason in my purchase...I would imagine you operate GPO in Sonar the same way… could you please expand a bit in how you use GPO in Sonar?...

Hello Ernest - You have a LOT of fun ahead of you, using GPO in DP. Frankly, it's much easier to get good sounding results using DAW software than in notation, and the process is basically the same in all DAW programs.

"gen5rs," if you're really interested in getting not only good looking scores but also good recordings from Finale, it's just a steeper hill to climb. Expert Finale users DO get great renderings/recordings from Finale, but they work with the program in much more depth than the average user. It's not impossible, what you want, just more difficult than getting good sound from a "sequencer."

Ernest, I put this tute together recently about using JABB in Sonar, but it applies to GPO or any of the Garritan Libraries. It's always the same process - opening ARIA, loading instruments from whatever Libraries you own, and starting to build your projects.

Here's that tute - I think it should help you out:

Using JABB in DAW software: A MIDI 101 Tutorial

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser