MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Bends

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Bends

Postby wrayer » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:20 am

What is the CC channel for controlling bends?

I have a flute ad lib solo (well, it's written out - but sounds like an ad lib line) with a fall or bend that I created in Finale using the Bend Tool. In some instances it sounds wonderful. In others it just lasts a split second and is hard to hear. How do I make it last longer? (no, I don't want it to go to another note. I just want a bend down - a doit in trumpet language.

Bill

William Rayer

We dream to write and we write to dream
Artist, Author, Arranger, Composer, Musician
http://wfrayer.wix.com/william-rayer
Member: Cleveland Composers Guild, ASCAP
Finale 2014 - GPO4 - JaBB
wrayer

Re: Bends

Postby rbowser » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi, Bill! Great to see you here at Gary's new Forum.

Pitch Bend is actually in its own unique category in the MIDI specification, so it's not really as a "continuous controller" like CC1, 11, 7, 10 and so forth. Also, it's not restricted to any "channel"-it's just the data on any MIDI channel you need.

HOWEVER, as you know, my main program for music production is Sonar. Working with Pitch Bend is really straight forward in a DAW program like that. You just play the bend however you want with your MIDI keyboard. You can edit the results in the PRV.

As usual, in a notation program it's not always easy to get to and edit the data you want. In that sense, it makes working with MIDI more "stiff" - you're relying on dynamic controls, inserts of commands - it's just not the same as playing an instrument.-- Well, you Can play a MIDI keyboard while working in Finale - not sure the Pitch Bend wheel works there though?

Looks like what you need to delve into more is:

Finale MIDI Tool

I looked through and didn't see specific mention of Pitch Bend, but in the MIDI editing space there Has to be access to editing the data the way you want.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby wrayer » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:31 pm

Thanks Randy, I will look into that tool info. I did some experimentation and found that in Finale if you place an accidental in front of the note you want to bend, you get a good bend down. I raise the pitch a half step in Finale and then insert the bend and it bends down. Most often it is rather realistic.

I will also experiment with the KB. I am not that handy in playing in lines from the keyboard. This will make me try.

Thanks again.
Bill

William Rayer

We dream to write and we write to dream
Artist, Author, Arranger, Composer, Musician
http://wfrayer.wix.com/william-rayer
Member: Cleveland Composers Guild, ASCAP
Finale 2014 - GPO4 - JaBB
wrayer

Postby rbowser » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:40 pm

wrayer wrote:...I am not that handy in playing in lines from the keyboard. This will make me try...

Quick turn around on that response! Hello again, Bill.

Yeah, it looks like getting to know how to use Finale's MIDI Tool is pretty much essential.

But I pulled out that quote because it sounds like you're thinking you would need to be playing notes and using the Pitch Bend at the same time - No, you can make a million passes over the same passage, adding more notes and/or data. So, I think you should try just playing that passage, and when the bend is coming up, use the pitch wheel!--see what happens. -- Once again, my DAW software orientation is showing through. I don't know if Finale can correctly interpret the input from a pitch bend wheel - If it does, seems like it would be the way to go.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Michael.B » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Hello Rich,

Apart from the 'Bend' and 'MIDI' tools in finale, bends can be created using the 'Smart Shapes' glissando marking together with some judicicous articulation markings.

Whilst it's true that any of these will generate a bend, I have never really managed to achieve the truly realistic bend within Finale. I am sure some people have managed this but it has evaded me.

I too use Sonar and it's here, with the MIDI file imported from Finale, that I manage the results I want.

Good luck with your bends. :)

Michael.B