MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Welcome to our new forum!

Music and technology related discussion

Re: Welcome to our new forum!

Postby wrayer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:05 am

Glad to finally see some of the "old guys" (me included) finding there way here. I hope this forum grows to the magnitude on the inspiration that the first Garritan forum did in 2006 to 2012. I thank Randy Bowser for keeping us alive and well in the Garritan world. I believe he desreves a thank you from all of us.

Thank you Mr. Bowser - I, for one, applaud your undaunted ability to keep the Garritan forum alive.

wrayer (Bill)

William Rayer

We dream to write and we write to dream
Artist, Author, Arranger, Composer, Musician
http://wfrayer.wix.com/william-rayer
Member: Cleveland Composers Guild, ASCAP
Finale 2014 - GPO4 - JaBB
wrayer

Postby efiebke » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:30 am

The new Garritan Forum looks nice! Congrats on getting it up and running. Curious, will the old (or other) Garritan Forum remain on the internet? There's a lot of good music to be found there. Also, there're the on-line orchestration tutorials there, too. They're great tools to refer to. Might the years worth of shared music and the tutorials be added to this one? Again, just curious.

It's been around 8+ years since I purchased my first Garritan software. Both GPO and JABB remain important and intensively used instrumental libraries for all of my composition/sequencing needs. Additionally, I've been a Finale software owner for an even longer amount of time. I still use it for my modest needs. But, I've never taken full advantage of its entire capabilities. To be honest, I'm still a "pencil to manuscript" type of composer. During the writing process, I sequence the composition using a program like Logic or Digital Performer verses using a notation program. But I like what Finale can produce in terms of quality-looking scores and instrumental parts. Maybe someday I'll make the time to learn to use Finale more intensely. But GPO and JABB? I happily use them all of the time. :)

Peace! :)

Ted

Last edited by efiebke on Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacPro 3.33 (12-Core, Early 2009/2010 Refurbished); OS X 10.11.3; 32 GBs RAM; MOTU 2408 MK3; AKAI MPK88 keyboard controller; Logic Pro X; Digital Performer 9; Adobe CC Software; Final Cut Pro X; Finale 2014.5
efiebke

Software Owned:
Garritan GPO
Garritan JABB
Garritan Stradivari
Garritan Gofriller Cello
Finale (many years worth including 2014.5)

Postby Robug » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Great news regarding Garritan Forum. Greetings from Panama!

Robug

Postby rbowser » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:38 pm

efiebke wrote:... Curious, will the old (or other) Garritan Forum remain on the internet...

PaPaChalk who runs the Northern Sounds collection of Forums has made it clear that he has no intention of shutting down shop. He seems very dedicated to keep maintaining the site. It's still visited by about a thousand people a day, and as you point out, Ted, the Garritan Forums have irreplaceable things in the archives.

What I'm doing is spending some time at both Gary's original Forum, and this one, and that's what I plan on continuing to do.

I understand that MakeMusic has wanted to have its own Garritan Forum for a long time, and now here it is. They don't really have anything to do with the original Forum, and have never been involved in its maintenance. From what I've seen on various posts, I believe that what they would like is for this to become the only official Garritan Forum, and they've actually suggested that people don't visit NS anymore.

But I think things are just working out differently than they anticipated. The two Forums are going to co-exist.

Only a small handful of NS Forum members have signed up and gotten involved here. For various reasons, I can see from posts at NS that some people don't have interest in getting involved here, and that a deep sense of loyalty is keeping them doing what they've always done, which is to interact as a Garritan Community only there at NS. I'm hoping more of them will eventually see that it's a great opportunity to make contact with Gary again, and to stay more directly in the loop, by getting involved here at the only site MM officially sanctions - Time will tell if that will happen.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby akgreenberg » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Happy Holidays! I am looking forward to reading all sorts of informative, cool, and fun information on the Forum.

Art G.

akgreenberg

Software Owned:
Finale, Garritan Sounds (a few), Smartmusic

Postby Reegs » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi all,

Just popping in to say hello!

Pete

Reegs

Postby Starkman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Greetings,

Well, I've looked around but I can't find anything linking to the archives. I was on the Garritan forums, oh, about four years ago or so. There was a Japanese composer who used to post fairly frequently, and the guy's music was brilliant. I was trying to find him but can't do so without the archives being available (unless, of course, he still posts).

Any ideas?

Additionally, other than through the Control Panel, how do you subscribe to a topic? I see no button to click to do so.

Thanks much,

Starkman

Starkman

Postby rbowser » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Starkman wrote:...I can't find anything linking to the archives. I was on the Garritan forums, oh, about four years ago or so. There was a Japanese composer who used to post fairly frequently, and the guy's music was brilliant. I was trying to find him but can't do so without the archives being available...Any ideas?

Additionally, other than through the Control Panel, how do you subscribe to a topic? I see no button to click to do so...

Now there's another name from the Garritan Community's past which is good to see again - Hi, Starkman!

When you say "the archives" - I guess you mean the 12 year history of posts at the original Garritan Forum? Well, the good news is that the Forum is still very much alive, with no plans of not continuing with it. So it's all there for you to look through - um, not as if it was ever that easy to search for specific threads. BUT I had success just now in finding something I think you'll like:

You're probably talking about Jun Yamamoto. Here's a post he put up last year featuring the Theremin he writes for often.

Theremin piece

So - How about all that?!

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Starkman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:41 pm

Well, thank you! Yeah, Northernsounds, that was it. The Japanese fellow was someone who did post frequently there, and he has awards and contest winnings under his belt. A really lush and "Disney" sound, if you will, with wonderful segue into different textures.

Speaking of textures, I'm looking for a resource that will provide orchestral scores for free. I need to do some reviewing (for writing score formats), and I'm wondering if there's a source out there to just peruse scores without having to pay (much).

Thanks again for the help,

Starkman

Starkman

Postby rbowser » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:39 pm

Starkman wrote:Well, thank you! Yeah, Northernsounds, that was it. The Japanese fellow was someone who did post frequently there, and he has awards and contest winnings under his belt. A really lush and "Disney" sound, if you will, with wonderful segue into different textures.

Speaking of textures, I'm looking for a resource that will provide orchestral scores for free. I need to do some reviewing (for writing score formats), and I'm wondering if there's a source out there to just peruse scores without having to pay (much).

Thanks again for the help,

Starkman

Hmm, yes, there was at least one other Japanese Garritan Forum member besides Yun. I would have to think more, do more searching.

For studying scores, a certain other major notation program has a score exchange program in place that you may want to look into.

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626