MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Octave Transpose for Aria Play

Music and technology related discussion

Octave Transpose for Aria Play

Postby torch » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:32 am

I will say that octave changes are a must to come up with fat patches. Please implement octave tranpose in Aria Player. Thanks.

torch

Software Owned:
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Komplete 10, Structure2, xPand!2, Sampletank3, Miroslav Philharmonik, Ableton Live, Reason

Re: Octave Transpose for Aria Play

Postby Credo » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:49 am

You can do this to some degree (though this method may stretch or speed up the sample).

Click the 'Info' tab on the right edge of ARIA player.

In each instrument tab you should see the word 'tune'.
If you click that word and drag the mouse up or down, you can tune the patch by semi-tones.

If you want to layer instruments, load more than one tab, and set them all to the same MIDI channel.

If you want to create a patch that plays in 'octaves', without any sample stretching or speed-up....you can do that as well with a bit of tweaking to the sfz file (Usually found a few levels down in your C:\Program Files\Garritan Folder on a Windows PC, unless you asked the installer to put it somewhere else). Make a copy of one of the sfz files, name it something different, and examine it using your favorite text editor...It's not very difficult to add a new layer that would trigger two (or more) octaves of the sample set at once...

Have a look around the internet for information about editing and making your own sfz files.

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby torch » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:53 am

Credo, thank you. I will definetely try this out.

torch

Software Owned:
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Komplete 10, Structure2, xPand!2, Sampletank3, Miroslav Philharmonik, Ableton Live, Reason

Postby SysExJohn » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:31 am

Er!

The 'tune' control alters the sound by cents, i.e. hundredths of a semitone.
So you can tune the whole instrument up or down a maximum of just a single semitone, i.e +/-100 cents. Otherwise, as you say Credo, it's a case of editing the sfz files.

But many programs allow you to indicate an octave down from the notation.
Even my ancient copy of XGworks, from 1999, allows me to define e.g. Contrabass in C, which then plays an octave lower than notated.

John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby torch » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:58 am

SysExJohn wrote:Er!

The 'tune' control alters the sound by cents, i.e. hundredths of a semitone.
So you can tune the whole instrument up or down a maximum of just a single semitone, i.e +/-100 cents. Otherwise, as you say Credo, it's a case of editing the sfz files.

But many programs allow you to indicate an octave down from the notation.
Even my ancient copy of XGworks, from 1999, allows me to define e.g. Contrabass in C, which then plays an octave lower than notated.

John.

I agree. I emailed Garritan support and made a feature request fo octave changes.

torch

Software Owned: