MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

String samples without vibrato

Music and technology related discussion

String samples without vibrato

Postby drjules » Tue May 31, 2016 7:14 am

I just purchased GPO5 after having good experience with JBB3, I was naturally expecting to be able to control vibrato on string instruments as i can with wind and brass instruments in JBB3, especially as i am using the library primarily for popular music arrangement where excessive vibrato is just not wanted. Much to my idsappointment and annoyance, the sustain string samples all seem to be supplied with a built in vibrato which frankly is just too excessive for my purposes (described by some as sounding more like a machine gun) . Am I missing something, or is it really the case that vibrato speed and intensity cant be controlled for all the string samples?...if so, i have to say that this is a pretty disappointing and basic ommission. The Symphonic library isnt supplied with such vibratos, so why are Garritan's libraries all with vibrato. For me vibrato is an expressive tool which should only be applied where needed, and not indiscriminately and constantly.

drjules

Re: String samples without vibrato

Postby Derrek » Tue May 31, 2016 9:55 am

Without attempting to answer your "why" question, I believe your conclusion is correct that vibrato is not adjustable on the Garritan strings.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Re: String samples without vibrato

Postby SysExJohn » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:41 am

Yes, sadly I can confirm that there are no vibratoless strings in GPO5 just as there weren't in 4.
I do believe that they were intended to be there but maybe they ran out of time.
At least for solo strings.

Why do I think this?
In my work to make some alterations to the GPO5 xml and sfz files I stumbled upon:
"Violin 4 Strad Solo VC KS Lite.sfz" and "Viola 2 Solo VC KS Lite.sfz" and
"Cello 4 Solo VC KS Lite.sfz" also "Dbl Bass 2 Solo VC KS Lite.sfz".

Detailed examination of the code reveals that there appear to be multiple velocity layers AND NV (non vibrato) <regions>.
Sadly though the Strad samples are missing from the samples directory.

Maybe if enough of us wrote in requesting NV samples which we could add vibrato to we might get a response?
???

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.