MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

GPO5 USB FLASH DRIVE

Music and technology related discussion

GPO5 USB FLASH DRIVE

Postby Tom Davis » Sat May 28, 2016 4:20 pm

I received in the mail a GPO5 flash drive. The shipping order says it contains Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 Media Kit (1) and GPO5 Upgrade (1).

However, there is no upgrade that I can find on the flash drive.

I had downloaded and activated GPO5 some time ago. Is there any reason to install the flash drive? Is the flash drive version an upgrade of the downloaded version? If not how do I get the mentioned upgrade?

Tom

Tom Davis

Re: GPO5 USB FLASH DRIVE

Postby SysExJohn » Sun May 29, 2016 2:56 am

Hi Tom,

If you check out what's in the library, you should find that the installation program is either Win or Mac GPO5.01 executable.

If you bought your GPO5 copy soon after it became available, then it's most likely to be GPO5.0.
There were some modifications made to the xml and sfz files and, I think, the ARIA player went from 1.846 to 1.872 which cured a couple of bugs I had. Anyway it's worthwhile upgrade (in my view).

However, only tackle it when you've a bit of time to spare as it reinstalls all the samples, which can take a good half hour to do.

Just my point of view.
Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Derrek » Sun May 29, 2016 11:29 am

I received notification that my "hard copy" of GPO 5 was in the mail. When I ordered the download I opted for the hard copy as well, so this is likely what you received. You packing slip might well mention both the download you already downloaded as well as the hard copy "kit." I notice the charge for my (entire) Garritan order did not appear on last month's credit card; so they seem to be waiting until the entire order has been shipped to bill for both, which could explain the presence of both versions on whatever paperwork you received.

I'll know more when my own hard copy arrives and will update if I learn more.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby Tom Davis » Sun May 29, 2016 2:36 pm

I also ordered both the download and hard copies. At present I am using Finale 2014.5.6359, Aria Player 1.860, and Aria Engine 1.872. I haven't found any other upgrades beyond these. So I guess I will store the hard copy GPO5 away for safe keeping without loading it onto my computer.

Tom

Tom Davis

Postby SysExJohn » Mon May 30, 2016 3:04 am

Tom,
They didn't send out the USB drives until the update to 5.01 was complete.
Again, there were some updates to the xml and sfz files which made certain instruments play better. i.e. changes to loop points, using the samples in slightly altered ways.
These updates are worthwhile IMO.
Regards,
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Tom Davis » Mon May 30, 2016 5:32 am

Thank you, John - I will go ahead and load the USB drive then.

Tom

Tom Davis

Postby Derrek » Mon May 30, 2016 8:35 am

I'm guessing I already have the 5.01 version via download. As I recall, Garritan sent out an announcement when they made the change.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby SysExJohn » Mon May 30, 2016 10:10 am

Derrek,

If you kept the download you'll be able to tell because the install file (for Windows) is called "WIN_Garritan_Personal_Orchestra_5.01.exe", I'm guessing the Mac one will have "5.01" in the name too.

Regards,
John

SysExJohn

Software Owned: