MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Sticking Notes In Reaper

Music and technology related discussion

Sticking Notes In Reaper

Postby mdiemer » Thu May 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Anybody have any idea why GPO5 would cause sticking notes in Reaper? No other synths are causing this problem. I have not gotten a response on the Reaper forum, which may mean it's a rare problem. It happens when I try to do midi editing, such as changing velocities or volumes. Thanks, Michael

mdiemer

Re: Sticking Notes In Reaper

Postby mdiemer » Thu May 26, 2016 10:20 pm

I have discovered the problem is legato. For some reason , in Reaper, Aria instruments need to be set to "auto-legato." At least that's what is going with me; others may not have this problem. Easy to fix. but it means no duets on those instruments.

BTW, I am transitioning from Sonar to Reaper. Really excited about it. Reaper now has notation! Still working out the details, but you can do things like fermatas, trill marks, etc. Which Sonar does not have (at least not 8.5). Doesn't look as pretty as sonar, but again, they just created it this year, and I know it will improve.

mdiemer

Postby mdiemer » Sat May 28, 2016 1:32 pm

Well, I was wrong. The problem persists. I got some help from the Northern Sounds forum, but the suggestions would not work for me. I have made partial progress, however. Before, when a Garritan instrument played, the successive notes all would stick, so I got a cascade of organ-like chords. At least now when I put them on auto-legato on the Aria Player, that doesn't happen. The only problem is that the last note holds forever. I've tried using cc events 64 and 68 but to no avail. I figure it's a note-off problem.

I just learned something that may be of importance. My GPO instruments work fine in Reaper until I make a change in the event list, like switch CC7 to CC1, or adjust some velocities. After that, the sticking notes are out in full force. I think I'll get it sorted out eventually. For now, I'm accessing GPO sounds with the Dimension Pro synth, which has Garritan Pocket Orch, as well as woodwinds "in the venue," which are also Garritan, but enhanced nicely.

mdiemer

Postby SysExJohn » Sun May 29, 2016 3:05 am

Michael,

Have you taken a look at the Garritan support pages, the User Manuals?
There is a relatively new manual called "Using Garritan with DAW Software" and there's a specific section on Reaper. I don't know if it's up to date with the latest version of Reaper, but it might help to check whether the procedure you're using is correct.

The other thought that has occurred to me is that Reaper does an automatic scan on set up of the various VST libraries on one's computer. Could it be that Reaper has found, hidden somewhere, an older copy of the ARIA player? It might be worth a check.

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby mdiemer » Sun May 29, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi John, I may have looked at that, I definitely have looked at other parts of the manual. But I will check into that for sure now.

As for Aria, I am running the latest version.

mdiemer

Postby mdiemer » Mon May 30, 2016 10:59 am

I've done some searches and sticking notes appear to be a problem in Reaper occasionally. For me, it only happens with Aria. I guess that means that Aria and Reaper just don't work that well together. Although other than the sticking notes, everything else is fine. I will probably stumble on to the solution somewhere down the road, at which point I'll post it, but by all mean, please let me know any thought you might have, everyone.

mdiemer

Postby SysExJohn » Tue May 31, 2016 2:28 am

Michael,

It seems to me this may be a problem unique to Reaper and VST instruments.
Certainly your post concerning no problem until entering further CC's points me in that direction. Somehow a CC being inserted interrupts the note on ... note off process, deleting the corresponding note off in certain circumstances.

I've used GPO4 and 5 and most of the other Garritan libraries (of course always ARIA) with a variety of DAW programs and sequencers and not come across this problem before.

It may be worth documenting it as a problem with the Reaper support people.

And ... if you wish, you could send me the MIDI file of a sequence you're having problems with.
I'll take a look at the generated code in HexEdit and see if I can work out what's happening. I also have a sequencer (Sekaiju) which displays both note on and note off messages and I could see what that tells me.

I've just downloaded the latest version of Reaper and intend to try it out myself ... when I get the time.

I'm still working on the xml and sfz modifications to GPO5.
I've got all the stereo stage stuff inserted where needed and the screen layout changed for all standard instruments now.
I had finished, then realised that I hadn't applied the modifications to the notation versions of the code. So it's back to work to complete those and test them.
Also I've been spending a little time working out how best, simplest, for users to install any such set of mods. I think I've come up with a strategy.

Regards,
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby mdiemer » Tue May 31, 2016 9:54 am

I may install my original GPO, with the old kontakt player it came with, to see if that works. It won't have the sam brass, I'll have to do without those. Or I could install my GPO4, which does have them. Just to see if it works.

John: After I see how the above goes, I'll submit this as a bug. Thank you for your continued help with this.

mdiemer

Postby mdiemer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:59 pm

Some more info: installing original GPO works, but sounds terrible, even on the Kontakt 5 player. I also tried the 32 bit version of Aria, as well as going back to the last version, and the problem still occurs. I'm wondering about an even older Aria version. But then, would I still be able access GPO5 with it?

mdiemer

Postby SysExJohn » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:26 am

Hi Michael,
If it's a problem with Reaper 5 onward, then going back to Reaper 4 may solve the problem, not trying different versions of ARIA.
But then no notation.
Just a thought.
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned:

Next