MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Aria player playback

Music and technology related discussion

Aria player playback

Postby johnwilinspir » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:58 pm

When I load a midi file; assign instruments etc I can playback and all sounds great. But then I save it and can only save as an .aria file. When I come back and load the aria file it loads OK (at least it seems to) but it won't playback. Why not; and what can I do about it?
Thanks for someone's help here.
John

johnwilinspir

Re: Aria player playback

Postby Credo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:34 pm

I do NOT think saving an instrument/patch, or an 'Ensemble' sound-set (group of up to 16 instruments) saves the MIDI File.

The '*.aria' file will be the settings of an individual instrument or ensemble set.
I.E. Where you've set things like sliders and knobs on the mixer or in the 'controls' tab(s) of instrument(s).

To get the MIDI/SMF file to play, you'll need to load that again after loading any special .aria setups.

It's pretty typical for more advanced MIDI playback to use ARIA as a 'plugin' in a DAW or Scoring application. In these cases, you would not open MIDI files with ARIA at all, but would instead, play through with the host application.

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Re: Aria player playback

Postby johnwilinspir » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:52 am

Ok - that explains quite a lot. Thanks for the help.

johnwilinspir