MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

GPO5 with Notion?

Music and technology related discussion

GPO5 with Notion?

Postby Fleer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:46 pm

Any progress on using GPO5 with Notion?

Mac rMBP 2.6 i7 16gb 2tb ssd, Logic, Notion, Reason, NI K10U, Omnisphere2, EW Fab Four, Ghostwriter, Gypsy, HB/HC/HS/HV/HW, Pianos, SC/SO, Spaces, SSL, VOP and GIO/GPO5 et alia
Fleer

Re: GPO5 with Notion?

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:05 am

I think any inclusion of 'rules' for Notion is going to come from active users over there.
Have you tried the Notion forum over at PreSonus? It just may be that it's a bit too early yet?
It seems that Finale users are still struggling with the product judging by remarks in their forum.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Fleer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks, John.
Yes, checked their forum. Too soon, I guess.

Mac rMBP 2.6 i7 16gb 2tb ssd, Logic, Notion, Reason, NI K10U, Omnisphere2, EW Fab Four, Ghostwriter, Gypsy, HB/HC/HS/HV/HW, Pianos, SC/SO, Spaces, SSL, VOP and GIO/GPO5 et alia
Fleer

Postby SysExJohn » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:34 am

My pleasure, Fleer.

Is anyone doing anything yet to do the customisation, that you're aware of?

I've noticed a tendency of less participation by the people that did this sort of thing in the past in most forums. I don't know if they genuinely have 'moved on' or if, due to lack of appreciation, they just don't share their work any more.

Kind regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Fleer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:51 pm

No indication. Maybe I'd better contact PreSonus and ask if they're on it.

Fleer

Postby sandalwood » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:13 am

First of all, I'm grateful that Notion presets for the Garritan GPO4 exist, at all. That said, many GPO4 KS instruments are not covered in the Notion presets: there is, for instance, only one solo violin while the GPO4 has three.

I hope when presets are written for the GPO5, all KS instruments are covered and particularly the SAM Brass and Garritan Orchestral Strings instruments are not omitted.

sandalwood

Postby Fabio Biolcati » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:31 pm

sandalwood wrote:many GPO4 KS instruments are not covered in the Notion presets: there is, for instance, only one solo violin while the GPO4 has three.

since they share the same KS layout, you add GPO solo violin staff and then change it to the desired SoloViolin sound via VST interface.

Fabio Biolcati

«Being Italian is a full-time job»
Fabio Biolcati

Software Owned:
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
VSL Special Edition strings and woodwinds
Notion 3
Finale 2010
IK CSR Hall Reverb

Postby sandalwood » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks a lot Fabio, it works! Actually, I should have been wise enough to check that myself, long ago. Solo vln KS 2 and 3 load nicely and playback the (few) articulations as well as the default KS vln 1.

While I was at it, I also tried the GPO5 Orchestral Strings KS solo violin and, surprise, it also loaded and played back just like GPO4 ones. This probably means actually there are presently GPO5 presets for Notion as much as there are GPO4 presets. To say this with any certainty one would need to try each instrument, of course, and see what happens.

On a side note, the number of available strings (for instance) articulations in Notion GPO4 presets is rather limited. They are now even more in the GPO5. It is still possible to use them in Notion via the "Change Instrument" tool, but in case new presets are written specifically for the GPO5 it would be nice to have as much of them as possible included.

sandalwood

Postby Fabio Biolcati » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:15 am

sandalwood wrote:This probably means actually there are presently GPO5 presets for Notion as much as there are GPO4 presets.

There are not GPO5 presets in Notion at the moment. They work since GPO4 share the same keyswitch layout as GPO5. Then…

On a side note, the number of available strings (for instance) articulations in Notion GPO4 presets is rather limited. They are now even more in the GPO5. It is still possible to use them in Notion via the "Change Instrument" tool, but in case new presets are written specifically for the GPO5 it would be nice to have as much of them as possible included.

… if an articulation wasn't available in the earlier GPO version, well, it doesn't work.
You see that Notion developing and upgrading of presets is almost slow; many users are calling for it.
I'm not familiar with rule editing in Notion5, but one should be able to add the new GPO articulations to it.

Last edited by Fabio Biolcati on Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fabio Biolcati

«Being Italian is a full-time job»
Fabio Biolcati

Software Owned:
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
VSL Special Edition strings and woodwinds
Notion 3
Finale 2010
IK CSR Hall Reverb

Postby sandalwood » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:35 am

Fabio Biolcati wrote:There are not GPO5 presets in Notion at the moment. They work since DPO4 share the same keyswitch layout as GPO5. Then…

Obviously, yes! But, if the GPO5 instruments work (as did the GPO5 solo violin when I tried it) with the GPO4 presets, then they, well, work.

Fabio Biolcati wrote:… if an articulation wasn't available in the earlier GPO version, well, it doesn't work.
You see that Notion developing and upgrading of presets is almost slow; many users are calling for it.
I'm not familiar with rule editing in Notion5, but one should be able to add the new GPO articulations to it.

I just tested loading, to the GPO5 solo violin staff, the GPO5 solo violin spiccato patch for a few measures. It loaded and played back the few notes I had scribbled. I used the "change instrument" tool.

sandalwood