MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Aria Player Version 1.872

Music and technology related discussion

Aria Player Version 1.872

Postby torch » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:54 am

I was told by Makemusic two weeks ago that the newer version of Aria Player would be avaiable for download last week. It's not. I am wondering when it would be ready.

torch

Software Owned:
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Komplete 10, Structure2, xPand!2, Sampletank3, Miroslav Philharmonik, Ableton Live, Reason

Re: Aria Player Version 1.872

Postby SysExJohn » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:35 am

Judging from past experience, it won't be announced here.
They didn't even announce GPO5, so no hope, I believe, of a player upgrade announcement.

However, the 'engine' upgrade has been available for some days over at the Plogue site.
Personally, it's only my opinion, I have doubts that a later 'player' update even exists at this time.

Meanwhile I find that, in my system at least, 'player' 1.860 works just fine with 'engine' 1.872.
The engine upgrade sorted a problem on my system.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby KMFrye » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:19 pm

Aria 1.872 is out there.. over on the NS site someone reports that it came down with a new version of GPO that they downloaded earlier today (Friday).

GPO is now version 5.01 and Aria 1.872 comes with it.

No announcement, it seems to simply have happened.

KM Frye
BVStudios
Composer, Arranger, Performer
Living on the Wild, West Coast.
current work- "Culloden:1746", an oratorio, using
Finale 2014.5
GPO 4
JABB3
World
REAPER DAW
KMFrye

Software Owned:
PM since 2001, Finale 2014.5,
Garritan Personal Orchestra IV
Garritan Jazz and Big Band 3
Reaper DAW

Postby Fleer » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:08 pm

Pardon my ignorance.
Where can we download the 5.0.1 update?

Mac rMBP 2.6 i7 16gb 2tb ssd, Logic, Notion, Reason, NI K10U, Omnisphere2, EW Fab Four, Ghostwriter, Gypsy, HB/HC/HS/HV/HW, Pianos, SC/SO, Spaces, SSL, VOP and GIO/GPO5 et alia
Fleer

Postby SysExJohn » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:47 am

The same place that you downloaded the original GPO5, Fleer.
Login, and then it's there in your list of products masquerading as the original GPO5.
It isn't even re-labelled. Clever, eh?

Aha, Mr Frye, I see you read my post on the NS forum, or was it on KVR?

I thought I'd just wait before posting here, to see whether anybody from MM announced it.
Sadly, as usual, nada. Such a shame.

SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Cartesius » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:37 pm

Yes, really a shame. The downloaded zip file is not relabeled, the same name as previous one, but they differ in size:

Previous: Garritan_Personal_Orchestra_5.zip 4,536,080 KB
Actual: Garritan_Personal_Orchestra_5.zip 4,525,026 KB

Fortunately installer's executable inside the zip archive is relabeled to 5.01. Thanks a lot Make Music for this generosity:

Previous: WIN_Garritan_Personal_Orchestra_5.exe 50,498 KB
Actual: WIN_Garritan_Personal_Orchestra_5.01.exe 43,290 KB

Both Aria Player and Aria Engine have version number 1.872. Bingo!

No announcement, not even a hint about this update on my account's download page. Where is the first GA (General Availability) version, where are all the updates after the GA version? The version which included the Aria Player 1.860 was not the GA version, it was also an update. I am almost 25 years in IT industry, selling and purchasing a bunch of software, but never saw or experienced such a sort of impudence.

Cartesius

Postby KMFrye » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:56 pm

"...Aha, Mr Frye, I see you read my post on the NS forum, or was it on KVR?"

John, it was the NS forum.... It is usually my "starting point" each evening.

Following the saga with great interest, but it looks like I might just wait a few more weeks.

KM Frye
BVStudios
Composer, Arranger, Performer
Living on the Wild, West Coast.
current work- "Culloden:1746", an oratorio, using
Finale 2014.5
GPO 4
JABB3
World
REAPER DAW
KMFrye

Software Owned:
PM since 2001, Finale 2014.5,
Garritan Personal Orchestra IV
Garritan Jazz and Big Band 3
Reaper DAW

Postby SysExJohn » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:39 am

It does seem to be turning into a saga doesn't it?

Thanks for the details Cartesius.
Now there is an announcement on the Garritan blog page.
From that I surmise that the drop in .exe file size is probably due to the removal of the old, outdated ARIA pdf. It's replaced with a link to the on-line manual.
Apparently everything in the GPO5 world is now wonderful.
BTW, the fault in ARIA was fixed with the 1.872 engine update.
I can't find anything else done by the payer update.

I wish I hadn't wasted all the time downloading the thing again and even more time doing the update. :evil:

But I suppose somebody had to be the guinea pig didn't they? You too Cartesius by the looks of things.
I'm hopeful, but not expectant, that they'll release something (that works) this week.

The only thing that I can attribute their incompetence too is their recent move and presumably totally new set of inexperienced staff. (Isn't this the first major release since the move?)
We all know that graduates, fresh out of university, make the best employees. After all you can usually get two for the price of one experienced one.
Been there, experienced that!
Wonderfully, I was able to sell my services back, for several times the salary I left on.

Management frequently couldn't give a [email protected] as long as money comes in.
Customer satisfaction? What's a customer? Do you mean a punter?

I'll keep you posted.
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned:

Postby Derrek » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:19 am

The update was announced on the Garritan Blog page
http://www.garritan.com/blog/

MM seems to be fragmenting their communications system. You can no longer comment on their Finale or Garritan Blog pages; they want you to go to FB or Twitter, which to me seems mindless. How do you explain what you are commenting about and what you have to say all in 140 characters?

And it means the blog entries may only change every few weeks, diminishing the chance anyone will check them regularly.

Makes no sense to me. Perhaps that's just me.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby Cartesius » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:32 pm

> Thanks for the details Cartesius.

You are welcome.

> Now there is an announcement on the Garritan blog page.

Really? It doesn't make me happy. I didn't purchase GPO5 from Gary Garritan. I purchased it from Make Music.

> Apparently everything in the GPO5 world is now wonderful.

Agreed. Thanks to Gary and his staff. But if somebody wants to kill this product, the best way to do so is to adopt Make Music's product management and marketing. Several years ago I purchased three boxed sets with DVDs in a shop: GPO4, JABB3 and COMB2. All keys were invalid. It took me five days to clarify the situation with MM support and activate the products.

> We all know that graduates, fresh out of university, make the best employees.
> After all you can usually get two for the price of one experienced one.

Wrong! Nobody is too rich to allow himself to buy cheap things. It is always a waste of money and wrong policy. BTW, although I am also a computer science graduate, my personal opinion based on my own experience is that one intelligent self-educated hacker 20 years ago was more worth then hundreds of today's graduates. At least in software industry and application development, regardless of platform (Redmond, Linux or other unices). Our hackers had superior coding skills, a coding "groove", a coding discipline, they preferred assembler and C/C++. Today we have Java and its interpreted bytecode and software blocks. Nice, but it is too slow, it sucks too much CPU power, it is inferior in all aspects of programming because it is redundant code and therefore inefficient.

Cartesius

Next