MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Aria Version 1.860?

Music and technology related discussion

Aria Version 1.860?

Postby torch » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:21 am

When I click on Player Update in Aria Player in setting, it says a new version 1.860 is available but on you website the latest is 1.846 which I already have.

torch

Software Owned:
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Komplete 10, Structure2, xPand!2, Sampletank3, Miroslav Philharmonik, Ableton Live, Reason

Re: Aria Version 1.860?

Postby Credo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:29 am

Do you have Garritan Personal Orchestra 5? This is a really new release of GPO. More info can be found here: ( http://www.garritan.com/products/personal-orchestra-5/ )

Mine is showing 1.860 for both the player and the engine, but I upgraded GPO from version 4 to 5 since March 2nd. I've also just now noticed that there is 1.870 engine available at the Plogue website.

It may be that the 1.860 Player version isn't needed or available unless you get (or upgrade) to a very recent release of GPO5.

You can upgrade the Aria engine directly from Plogue ( http://ariaengine.com/support/aria-engine-update/ ), but the Garritan variant of the Aria Player itself is downloaded from MakeMusic (log in to your MakeMusic account and search for updates here: https://store.makemusic.com/Downloads/Default.aspx ).

For me, the latest version I currently see in the MakeMusic update area is 1.846. When I purchased an upgrade to GPO5, the 1.860 Player came with the installers.

If you have purchased GPO5, be sure to allow the installer from the distribution to re-install Aria Player. For the time being it would seem that this is where any versions of Aria Player newer than 1.846 are going to come from.

In short...if you're not running GPO5, then 1.846 is the player version you should have right now.

You can install the later Aria engines directly from Plogue if you like (I usually just install the newest version of sforzando and that keeps the engine up to date). Typically, updating the engine is not necessary unless you roll your own SFZ sounds (sometimes the updates provide new opcodes and such that Garritan libraries might not even be using), or come across some specific issue that such an update fixes. So, engine updates shouldn't hurt anything if you want to grab thouse from Plogue from time to time, but unless you've been instructed to update the engine to correct a specific problem, or you play with opcodes to roll your own sounds, or use non Garritan libraries that might leverage cutting edge Aria engine features and abilities, you probably won't notice any benefits from the engine updates either.

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby torch » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:56 pm

I was told that Garritan will have the newer Aria Player version 1.860 available online for download sometime this week.

torch

Software Owned:
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Komplete 10, Structure2, xPand!2, Sampletank3, Miroslav Philharmonik, Ableton Live, Reason

Re: Aria Version 1.860? now 1.872 Player & Engine

Postby torch » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Even before version 1.860 is released to the public, there seems to be even a newer version of 1.872 Player & Engine. Garritan, please make it available for download as soon as possible

torch

Software Owned:

Postby kingfreeze » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:00 pm

Well, I just upgraded to gpo5, found out I had to upgrade to 2014pm to use it, after lots of issues getting it all configured. Should I go to the plouge site and upgrade to v 1.87.? Everything seems stable again.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby SysExJohn » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:00 am

Just to clarify, the current ARIA player is version 1.860 as downloaded within the GPO5 library. This gives you the extra section to the left with the installed library list. The player is Garritan's responsibility as it controls the GUI that allows GPO5 instruments to be loaded.

There is an update to the ARIA engine, recently released, which takes it to version 1.872. It would appear that it's worthwhile updating to this latest version. The engine is the code within the player that processes the sfz files associated with the samples and interfaces to the audio player (usually ASIO) and the operating system. The engine is Plogue's responsibility as they license the product to MakeMusic. And an excellent sfz player it is too! (IMHO)

Credo, please note:-
Please be aware that the currently released version (25th of March, 2016) of sforzando is 1.848, i.e. behind that of the ARIA player that comes with GPO5. Therefore it would be safer not to upgrade sforzando, but just to get the engine update. Carefully checking releases is strongly recommended.

BTW, I'm not from MakeMusic,nor Plogue, and have no association with either of them. The information posted is just my take on how it works.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Cartesius » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi,

here is my story. I purchased GPO5 several days ago, installed it successfully and activated. Everything works fine. The current version of both Aria Player and Aria Engine, shipped with the original GPO5 installer, is v1.860. When I check new updates by clicking on the PLAYER UPDATE and the ENGINE UPDATE buttons in the Settings screen of Aria Player, I am notified that:

* a new version of Aria Player (1.872) is available, asking me if I want to download it

* a new version of Aria Engine (1.872) is available, asking me if I want to download it

There is no problem with Aria Engine 1.872 download. I am directed to Plogue Aria Engine Update download page where the version 1.872 of Aria Engine exists and can be easily downloaded and installed.

It is not true with Aria Player 1.872 update however, because the version 1.872 of Aria Player doesn't exist on Make Music official download page for Garritan products where I was directed. The most recent version of Aria Player on their download page is 1.846, not 1.872, that is even lower than my current version 1.860. So, even though my current Aria Player receives the information that a new Aria Player update (1.872) is available and therefore obviously exists somewhere, I am directed to a wrong download page where the update cannot be downloaded as it doesn't exist.

Well, I am not going to call this "cheating the customers", but this Make Music's behavior is unserious, unprofessional and absolutely unacceptable. The technical things must have been solved before the new product (GPO5) was launched on the market, so there is no excuse for this failure. There is no excuse for customers' frustrations.

Cartesius

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:13 am

Well, I am not going to call this "cheating the customers", but this Make Music's behavior is unserious, unprofessional and absolutely unacceptable. The technical things must have been solved before the new product (GPO5) was launched on the market, so there is no excuse for this failure. There is no excuse for customers' frustrations.

Really? Are you serious? :o :? :shock:
Tell me, does the 1.860 player not work just fine? :?:
If it didn't work then I'd quite understand your frustration, but it does, you said so.
Just how does not supplying the update (yet) cheat you?
Isn't GPO5 an incredible product for the money? 1.86, 1.87, 1.872 not withstanding.
Could the 1.872 player non-availability not be just a typo or misunderstanding by somebody new?
Gary and his staff were not placed upon the earth for your instant gratification.
Try a little patience, maybe?
They have, after all, just undergone a major geographical upheaval.

Have you ever done product development on a computer?
Tell me, how does any company test all the possible configurations of hardware and software, not to mention operating systems which undergo major changes every five minutes?
Try it and you'll find it's a path full of thorns.
You have my full permission to give Microsnot a good kicking if you like. ;-)
I may even join you.

Now, if you were to complain about the carrying forward of the fault in the oboe d'amore loop point in low B and C that I reported (and fixed) almost a year ago, I'd kinda sympathise.

It won't stop me using the product and thanking Gary for the new GPO5.
I'm confident that there'll be an update in the near future, just as there was for Windows 3, 95, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10, not to mention the weekly bug and security loophole fixes.

"The technical things must have been solved before the new product (insert Windows version) was launched on the market, so there is no excuse for this failure."

Just my tuppence worth. ... as usual.
JG.

SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Cartesius » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:10 pm

> Really? Are you serious?

Yes, I am very serious and always have been serious. If I were not, I would never post the complaint on this forum just to waste my time.

> Tell me, does the 1.860 player not work just fine?

The 1.860 Aria Player works just fine. In fact, it works perfectly, at least for me.

> Just how does not supplying the update (yet) cheat you?

The update IS already supplied, it EXISTS somewhere (as it is detected online by current 1.860 version), but somebody "forgot" to put it on the right place. Somebody "forgot" to create download page for GPO5 related players, but didn't forget to write the code into Aria Player software telling the player exactly where to look for the updates. That's what makes this Make Music's behavior unprofessional and unacceptable. BTW, I don't feel being cheated. To be able to call something "cheating the customers", I must first be sure it is done intentionally and deliberately. I don't believe so. They are just unprofessional.

> Isn't GPO5 an incredible product for the money?

Yes, it is. It's worth at least $500 compared to the price and quality of similar products on the market.

> Could the 1.872 player non-availability not be just a typo or misunderstanding by somebody new?

Certainly could be, but insofar the worse. Besides, there is something known as Audit and Control, isn't it?

> Gary and his staff were not placed upon the earth for your instant gratification.

Gary and his staff have nothing to do with the failure. Make Music has.

> Have you ever done product development on a computer?

Of course I have. In fact I am coming from that area. Music recording is just my hobby. And?

> Tell me, how does any company test all the possible configurations of hardware
> and software, not to mention operating systems which undergo major changes
> every five minutes?

The problem has nothing to do with hardware or software testing (let alone the testing of "all the possible configurations of hardware and software"), nor with the operating systems changes. Do not be funny and waste your time trying to fool me. No chance. This is my area.

> Now, if you were to complain about the carrying forward of the fault in the oboe
> d'amore loop point in low B and C that I reported (and fixed) almost a year ago,
> I'd kinda sympathise.

Sorry, I didn't encounter the oboe problem yet. In classic music my favorites are violin and piano concerts, one of which you can hear here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMHsABOqS20

In modern music I am completely in blues, jazz and rock. Just one example

http://www.jurinovic.com/15485/Riders.mp4

> It won't stop me using the product and thanking Gary for the new GPO5.

Neither me.

Cartesius

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:41 pm

The problem has nothing to do with hardware or software testing (let alone the testing of "all the possible configurations of hardware and software"), nor with the operating systems changes. Do not be funny and waste your time trying to fool me. No chance. This is my area.

Really?

SysExJohn

Software Owned: