MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

GPO5 - more to come! ???

Music and technology related discussion

GPO5 - more to come! ???

Postby SysExJohn » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:37 am

With my usual curiosity about how various libraries are put together, I examined the xml file that drives the GPO5 library.

Imagine my surprise to discover a number of instruments that are currently 'commented out'.
"<--- --->"
Upon checking further I found that the samples and the sfz files are there, awaiting implementation I suppose.

They are as follows:
Standard/03 Percussion/Bass Drum Aggressive
Standard/03 Percussion/Cymbals Extras
Standard/03 Percussion/Percussion Toys 2

Standard/02 Brass/03 Trombones/SAM Bass Trombone Solo KSl
Standard/02 Brass/03 Trombones/SAM Trombone Solo KSl
Standard/02 Brass/03 Trombones/SAM Trombone Section KSl

Standard/02 Brass/04 Tubas/SAM Tuba Solo KSl

Standard/04 Harps/Chromatic Harp 1 Lite
Standard/04 Harps/Chromatic Harp 2 Lite

Standard/05 Keyboards/Steinway Piano Duo1
Standard/05 Keyboards/Steinway Piano Duo2
Standard/05 Keyboards/Steinway Piano Lite

Standard/07 Full Choir/Full Choir Lite KS

So, I dare say we can expect a few more bits and pieces to come.

Last edited by SysExJohn on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Re: GPO5 - more to come!

Postby Credo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:29 pm

Some of this looks like GPO4 stuff, which leads me to wonder if I can uninstall GPO4 and expect backwards compatibility with older expression maps (I.E. GPO4 soundset for Sibelius).

Currently, I've left GPO4 installed for Sibelius' sake. I recognize these instruments right away:
Standard/05 Keyboards/Steinway Piano Duo1
Standard/05 Keyboards/Steinway Piano Duo2
Standard/05 Keyboards/Steinway Piano Lite

Inside ARIA, I see them in the GPO4 list of Pianos, but NOT in the GPO5 list. While it might be argued the new pianos are superior, and the old ones can be 'done away with'....I'd personally like to keep them around as I can never have too many choices when it comes to pianos. They all have a little different character and fit into a mix in different ways...so I'd like to keep them around :)

No big deal for me at present in terms of the expression map support, as I have plenty of space to just keep GPO4 installed until there is a proper GPO5 soundset for Sibelius. I am curious though......a brand new Sibelius/GPO5 owner who doesn't also have GPO4 installed 'might' be stuck in the mud 'waiting' for a proper soundset if a significant number of the older instruments from GPO4 are totally 'dropped' in the transition to GPO5.

For personal expression map tweaks, I'm also curious if there is a way to add pointers of some sort in the ARIA library listings. I.E. If I were to tweak one of the sfz files a bit, give it a new name, and want to have access to it from the ARIA player listings directly.

Here I use both Finale (which has a proper set of expression maps for GPO5) and Sibelius (Which currently only offers GPO4 maps) since various clients request I work from day one on a project in 'what they are using' for collaboration reasons.

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Re: GPO5 - more to come!

Postby SysExJohn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:05 am

I've also discovered that there's a non-vibrato violin SFZ file, sadly there are no matching samples.

Whose responsibility is it, I wonder, to produce expression maps for a library?
Presumably when the Garritan libraries weren't 'tied in' to one notation program, it would be in their interest to produce as many as possible.

But now that Sibelius is a competitor ... ?
And in the future Dorico?

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.