MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Strange noises in Solo Strings

Music and technology related discussion

Strange noises in Solo Strings

Postby earlwgreen » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:50 pm

OK, I've tried the new GPO 5 Strings but when the note is held, it seems to cut in an out sort of like a loop starting and stopping. I first noticed it in the 10 Garritan Orchestral Strings/Solo Strings/05 Solo KS Groups/03 Cello 1 KS. Then I checked out the 03 Cello 1 Vibrato and it did the same.

So, I tried the 07 Solo Strings/03 Cello/Cello 1 Solo KS and it stayed smooth, no odd sounds.

Next I went to Violins and Violas and noticed the same pattern.

What's up??? The Cello would sound beautiful but that interrupted long note sounds terrible. I hope this is a bug, if not they are useless for long strings lines.

Thanks for any info!

Earl Green

earlwgreen

Re: Strange noises in Solo Strings

Postby SysExJohn » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:37 am

Hi Earl,

I'm guessing that GPO5 was kind of rushed out to meet the end of February deadline.

It's fair to say at this point that a few bugs have been found as well as a few omissions, stereo stage on some instruments seems to be one of them.

We can all help the library be as good as it promises with these bugs fixed.
You can help help by raising a support ticket and reporting the errors you find asap.

It sounds as if you've found an incorrect implementation of the loop start and stop points in the sfx file, I found one or two of those in GPO4 oboe d'amore which I fixed myself.

I'll try to get round to trying the ones you report myself, today.
Then, if I find similar problems, reporting them too.

John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Rich936 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:28 am

I tried out the instruments you said you were hearing problems with in the ARIA stand alone and got none of what you said you were hearing. If I hold a note a real long time there is a loop point that is heard, but stringed instruments can only play a long note that has the bow in one direction only as long as a bow drawing across the string can make it happen. It isn't an infinitely long bow so I assumed that the loop point is past the length of a normal bowing.

In other words, it sounded normal to me for what I would expect a sustained note to last.

You didn't really say what program you were using GPO5 in. Is it in Finale, or some DAW or in the stand alone version of ARIA? Also what version of ARIA are you using? Also are you working on a 32 bit computer system or a 64 bit? All those answers would help in narrowing down what the problem may be.

Rich936

Postby earlwgreen » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:40 pm

I have a sound clip that shows what the problem is. I also went back to the basics of cello technique and I can tell you the bump in the audio loop is not correct. I played cello for only a year and I could play legato better than that! The clip is about 23 sec. and the bump occurs in the first 8 seconds.That is way to soon for the bow to be changing like that. Is there a way to upload the clip?

I understand that there is a slight change from up and down bowing, but this is like someone lifted the bow and struck it again. It is even too loud when the mod wheel is down about 30. The other strings have this problem but it is not so severe as the cello.

I have used both Aria stand alone player and vst. It is the same. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, most current Aria player and engine, most current Studio One 3 version.

I did submit this to support so maybe they can help.

Earl Green

earlwgreen

Postby Rich936 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:22 pm

I do get that bump that you are referring to and it is the loop point which I might add is poorly placed and done. Hopefully MakeMusic will have a fix. You might want to send them a support note and let them know about what you are experiencing.

Rich936

Postby earlwgreen » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:19 pm

I just got this reply from support.

"I was able to replicate this problem on my end. This problem has been identified as a software defect and has been assigned to our product development department. If possible, the defect will be scoped and corrected in an upcoming version of GPO5."

Hopefully they will get it fixed soon. I really like the samples otherwise.

Thanks for the help.

Earl Green

earlwgreen