MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Massed mandolin orchestra sounds

Music and technology related discussion

Massed mandolin orchestra sounds

Postby BryanC » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:07 am

I cannot find any reference to an audio units virtual instrument of the sound of massed mandolins - the sound of a mandolin orchestra. The sound is quite ethereal and unlike the sound of the solo instrument. I am using Garritan Orchestra with Finale 2014 for Mac OS X, and already have the solo mandolin instrument as part of Garritan Orchestra. Is Garritan considering creating this massed mandolin orchestra sound and if so, creating at the same time, a tremolo version as well? Any guidance, help, direction, or information that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :D

Bryan Connell
Perth, Western Australia

BryanC

Re: Massed mandolin orchestra sounds

Postby Derrek » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:19 pm

Garritan has information about its upcoming upgrade to GPO4 at
http://www.garritan.com/blog/garritan-personal-orchestra-5-coming-soon/.

As far as I can see, there are no massed mandolins. You might be able to export your FInale file in MIDI and simulate the sounds in a DAW using duplicate lines and some processing (like chorusing and slightly offsetting multiple mandolin lines), but that's likely the best you will manage using only Garritan.

If you are lucky, someone who checks in here may know of a 32-bit VST within your price range that you can add to a bank in Finale and use for your purpose.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7