MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

How To Assign Patches To Dedicated MIDI Tracks?

Music and technology related discussion

How To Assign Patches To Dedicated MIDI Tracks?

Postby Andy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:19 pm

Hello music lovers,

I got my new copy of Garritan IO successfully installed in Cubase 7. When I assign the Aria instrument to a slot in the VST instruments rack, it gives me the option to create a MIDI track, which I do.

That channel works fine as far as triggering the patch I've assigned to the first slot on the Aria player. My question is, how do I create other dedicated MIDI channels for the instruments I select in slots 2-16?

I have activated all 16 outputs in the VST instrument section, by the way. I can see the channels on the mixer - but there are no corresponding MIDI tracks.

Any help greatly appreciated. Excited to get started!

Andy

Re: How To Assign Patches To Dedicated MIDI Tracks?

Postby Derrek » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:31 pm

In Sonar one can create new MIDI tracks and just set the midi channel output to match the appropriate slot in the Aria player.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby Andy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:52 pm

Thanks - I'm not able to figure that out in Cubase for some reason. I can create a MIDI track and assign it to Aria, but not to individual patches within Aria.

Andy

Postby Derrek » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:08 am

The key is to use the MIDI channel numbers in the Aria player (see attachment) to match the instrument slot in the Aria player to the output channel you have assigned to the corresponding track in your DAW.

Hope that helps, since I am not sure how to assign an output channel in Cubase although I am sure it is possible. You might be able to get help with that on a Steinberg forum. Hope so.

Attachments
ariaScrn.jpg
ariaScrn.jpg (22.58 KB) Viewed 5594 times
Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby Credo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:02 pm

Andy wrote:Hello music lovers,

I got my new copy of Garritan IO successfully installed in Cubase 7. When I assign the Aria instrument to a slot in the VST instruments rack, it gives me the option to create a MIDI track, which I do.

That channel works fine as far as triggering the patch I've assigned to the first slot on the Aria player. My question is, how do I create other dedicated MIDI channels for the instruments I select in slots 2-16?

I have activated all 16 outputs in the VST instrument section, by the way. I can see the channels on the mixer - but there are no corresponding MIDI tracks.

Any help greatly appreciated. Excited to get started!

You can launch ARIA as a 'rack' or as a 'track' instrument.

If you launch it as a track instrument, the audio stream is bound to the same track as the MIDI events. It is still possible to create regular MIDI tracks and assign their outputs to such an instance.

If you launch it as a 'rack' instrument, then ARIA gets its own separate Mixer bus(es) for the audio stream. You then assign regular MIDI tracks so that your chosen ARIA instance is the output port. You get 16 MIDI channels per instance of ARIA.

Since ARIA can handle up to 16 MIDI channels per instance, I personally find it best to use the Multiple Output version of ARIA in 'RACK' mode. I then use regular MIDI tracks to communicate with this instance. If for some reason I need to isolate an instrument to its own audio outputs (I.E. to put different DAW effects on different instruments)...the Multiple Output version of ARIA allows this (Note, if you use any of ARIA's built in effects, the output of those will AWLAYS be mixed over ARIA outputs 1 & 2).

Generally, I only use the 'track' mode of VSTi plugins in Cubase if I'm working with a single voice plugin (I.E. sforzando, Halion Symphonic Orchestra (native GUI), Sonivox Orchestra and Piano plugins, etc...).

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion