MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Anyway to make more channel-like function?

Music and technology related discussion

Anyway to make more channel-like function?

Postby chueh » Fri May 29, 2015 6:38 pm

I have used up all the 16 channels. How can I incorporate different key switches for the same instrument by not using more channels and not playing LIVE?

How do you guys handle key switches when recording music with a DAW. I am using Anvil Studio with ProMix and can use Aria Player as a vst plug in. Anvil Studio has more than 16 tracks; do I record different key switches for the same instrument in different tracks?? If so, I am still not able to take the advantages of more tracks in Anvil Studio to cover AP instruments, due to the preset of 16 channels in AP.

chueh

Re: Anyway to make more channel-like function?

Postby Credo » Fri May 29, 2015 11:13 pm

Consider opening a second instance of the Aria Player inside the DAW. At this point you should gain another 16 Aria channels to work with (typically listed as Aria 2). I'm not familiar with your specific software set-up, but every VST compliant DAW I've seen to date allows multiple instances of a VST plugin. If you still need more, then open a third instance, and so on. You can usually keep adding plugins to a VST compliant system as long as you have enough memory on the PC to keep going, and a nice enough audio card that latency issues don't start to bog you down. In most cases, thanks to streaming direct from disk, Garritan sounds usually don't need much memory or cpu time. If you run into issues after adding instances, try increasing the memory that Aria can use, because even though you have multiple Aria UIs to work with that 'seem' like separate programs, they're still sharing the same 'sound engine' in a kind of multi-tasking configuration.

Also note, that if you need to route different Aria instruments to different audio pipelines in your computer's audio matrix or to a different sound-card output, there is a multi-output version of the Aria VST which allows this. This can be very useful if you intend to use the effect plugins in your DAW to process different instruments or families of instruments played by Aria.

Example: Isolating a high hat cymbal sound to add some compression. You could use the multi-output version of Aria, and direct a copy of the drum kit with the cymbal in question to a different set of outputs...then set up a DAW FX to process that channel and add the compression you desire. Of course you'd have to make sure your high hat events are isolated and moved to a track that uses this new redirected patch, while the rest of the drum kit remains unprocessed on the original kit.

Dealing with keyswitches.......
Are you more of a traditional scoring/notation type of composer, more into linear tracking with visual editors (piano roll, diamond grids, etc.), or do you prefer pattern based sequencing with text/code list editing?

If you're into traditional scores, and want to also work with something like Sibelius or Finale, consider using the notation versions of instruments/patches, as they'll always have keyswitches at the very bottom of the keyboard (starting at midi note #0). If you want, you can keep the keyswitches on a different track set to the same channel to prevent them from being displayed as notes in a sequencer that isn't aware of 'key-switches'. Notation patches have their own CC event for triggering (I think it's CC 68...check the manual to be sure) slurs/legato rather than using the CC 64 sustain pedal.

If you care nothing about scoring with traditional notation....use either version of the patch you like (notation or normal) and simply draw and record them in the tracks. Normal patches will have slightly different default pedaling rules (for things like sluring, legato, portamento, etc.) and will be located in the octave just below the normal range of the instrument...thus making them easier to access when playing live or recording with smaller keyboards. With normal patches, the sustian pedal CC 64 will trigger legato/slurs on instruments that support that.

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby chueh » Sat May 30, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks so much Credo. I am using Personal Orchestra 4, which comes with 2 different dlls, one being just for a single audio output and the other multi. The later is the one you mentioned for creating different audio output. You mentioned about Aria 2 in your first paragraph. Is this Aria 2 the same as that listed as "multi" for multiple audio output plug-in? Anyway, this "multi" plug-in should work as 2nd instance, right?

You also mentioned about traditional scores vs pattern sequencing. I am much more towards traditional scoring. Yeah, I have always had this question yet forgotten to ask the difference between notation, standard, and GPO instruments. When I loaded them up, the instruments sounded the same. Thanks for bringing that up too. You are so helpful

chueh

Postby Credo » Sat May 30, 2015 11:43 am

chueh wrote:Thanks so much Credo. I am using Personal Orchestra 4, which comes with 2 different dlls, one being just for a single audio output and the other multi. The later is the one you mentioned for creating different audio output. You mentioned about Aria 2 in your first paragraph. Is this Aria 2 the same as that listed as "multi" for multiple audio output plug-in? Anyway, this "multi" plug-in should work as 2nd instance, right?

You also mentioned about traditional scores vs pattern sequencing. I am much more towards traditional scoring. Yeah, I have always had this question yet forgotten to ask the difference between notation, standard, and GPO instruments. When I loaded them up, the instruments sounded the same. Thanks for bringing that up too. You are so helpful

It's the same plugin, you just reload another copy. It should have a slightly different name in your DAW. I.E. Aria, Aria 2, Aria 3, etc. Each instance is treated like a new 16 channel instrument by your DAW.

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion