MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Gary Garritan has left MakeMusic???

Music and technology related discussion

Gary Garritan has left MakeMusic???

Postby SysExJohn » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:13 am

Has anybody else heard the news, and is it true, that Gary Garritan has left MakeMusic?

I can find no press release, it all seems to be being played very quietly.

Would anybody in the know care to comment?

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Re: Gary Garritan has left MakeMusic???

Postby Tom Davis » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:39 pm

There is quite a bit more info over on the original Garritan forum - Gary will be working with the users and will support the annual Christmas album - and entries are already being taken for that.

Tom

Tom Davis

Postby SysExJohn » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:42 am

Hi Tom,

Yup! I started the thread over there too.
Just thought it may get an 'official' response posting in this forum, but we'll have to wait until Monday I imagine.

John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby KMFrye » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:58 pm

Generally, when a company is taken over or bought out, the new owners do keep the original executive on staff for a period to help with the changeover. MM most likely signed a deal with Mr G to stick around for a set period, after which his services were likely in the "no longer required" column and they parted ways. MM bought the libraries and has likely made their own decisions about how to proceed from here.

However, and speaking from personal experience, separations like this usually include a standard "non-compete" clause, preventing the departing employee (or CEO) from starting up his own new company or working for another company that would be in direct competition with the newly-obtained line of business (In my case, in 2009 I was forbidden from working in the same industry for five years or I would be required to pay back the separation money.). They're sometimes negotiable, but two to five years is normal these days.

It is likely that once the transition was complete, and the new owners were happy with the experience, Gary was let go, which may well have been in the plan all along). If there was a non-compete clause, then he will not be able to provide us with any more of his wonderful magic for a while, yet.

But five years go by fairly quickly in the greater scheme of things. I am free of those chains now and it surprised me how fast the time passed. Perhaps Gary will enjoy an extended holiday, play some harp, compose some music, and be back before we know it with something brand new and exciting!

It just may not be here.

KM Frye
BVStudios
Composer, Arranger, Performer
Living on the Wild, West Coast.
current work- "Culloden:1746", an oratorio, using
Finale 2014.5
GPO 4
JABB3
World
REAPER DAW
KMFrye