MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

GPO5 - Tell Me What you Want, What You Really Really Want

Music and technology related discussion

Re: GPO5 - Tell Me What you Want, What You Really Really Wan

Postby Sean Povey » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:28 am

Shooting for the moon - natural gut strings , valveless horns , wooden flutes .. you get the picture.

More realistically you would get my custom if you would give me plainly recorded samples and allow me to add vibrato and legato , breath noise , bow weight and direction etc , etc as l see fit.

As much user control as you can give.

Download and under $300

Sean Povey

Postby TomcatToo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:08 am

Simply replace the current strings with GOS2 which you said a number of years ago were almost finished and would soon be for sale but which have never shown up; here is your chance to use them!
Thanks,
Tom

TomcatToo

Postby TomcatToo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:06 pm

And...in a different vein, AFTER you get GPO 5 finished and to market, Please go to work on the new, improved Gary Garritan version of Giga Sampler and get it to market, hopefully before I pass on, but you better hurry because I'll turn 80 later this year!
Thanks,
Tom

TomcatToo

Postby Gary Garritan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:35 am

Hi All,

Some really good suggestions here.
Thanks John, Wlgold, Ron, Michael, Keith, KM, Sean, Ted, and Tom for your input.

Strings and brass seem to be a major request and we'll definitely address that. And affordability too.

Keep those ideas coming!

Thanks

Gary

Gary Garritan

Postby greyfox73 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:01 pm

Here's a quick question for you Gary? Can any of us help with the creation part of GPO5? You know there would be a lot of takers, including myself. Remember the old wisdom of more hands make less work. Hey, whatever we can do we're here for you!

Gary

greyfox73

Software Owned:
GPO4, JABB3, COMB2, World Instruments, Instant Orchestra, Garritan GoFriller Solo Cello, Garritan Orchestral Strings, Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin, Finale 2011, Finale 2012, Sonar X2 Producer

Postby Ron. » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:12 pm

Every now and then I get into a situation where I'd like to be able to tailor the string selections. For example, instead of 14 first violins, maybe I want 6 or 4. I know that the ensembles are composed of several individual recordings of different instruments and it would be so handy if we could select from all the available instruments to pick the precise combinations we want for individual pieces. After all, we are not always writing for the New York Philharmonic.

Ron.

Software Owned:
Finale 2014c; GPO4, JABB3, C0MB2, GIO, Basic Steinway, World Instruments, Plogue Free Sounds, GiFF.

Postby Polar » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:51 pm

GPO4 has a lot of the right stuff already, so I have been thinking a lot about this question, about what, in addition to that already suggested, might make GPO5 a grand-slam in my book.

I started with GPO4, and have since added (an incomplete) VSL SE + MIRx to the palette. While I have been learning much about stereo imaging, EQ, and mixing - not being an expert at any of those skills, I have looked for solutions that allow me to focus primarily on learning to write/sequence orchestral and chamber music, without having to 'create' balanced templates first.

I would like to see GPO5 expand and improve upon the existing pan/stage depth presets, such that an entire orchestra* could be loaded within a limited choice of venues, already placed inside the stereo field, mixed/EQd, with reflections / reverb applied.

* preferably as 'divisi' as possible :D

Right out of the box, one would have a realistic sounding ‘personal orchestra’ ready to write for in either notation or DAW software. If desired, the option to focus could be on learning traditional composition, the nuances of orchestration, and balancing dynamics - while the software provided decent aural feedback on one’s success at the task.

Sound quality should/would need to be such that using the ‘out of the box’ presets would rival or surpass the quality of currently oft recommended 'starter orchestras', such as EastWest's options, or for notation software, NotePerformer. Ideally, GPO5 would be of a quality that such suggestions would no longer be made about 'other' orchestras. ;)

Of course, equally as important is having access to the dry samples, status quo.

I also much prefer Garritan products copyright protection method to almost anything else I've seen. So uh, I really really want the status quo there. :D

I think GPO is a great product, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with for it’s next iteration Gary.

Polar

Postby Steve Bowyer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:40 pm

I'll add my vote for more string techniques too, and any improvements in both the section and solo strings. Could you add the solo strad and the cello into GPO? I never got to try them when they were for sale, but the demos were great.

Steve Bowyer

Postby grpetz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:02 am

First. Thank you for making your libraries and GPO4, we use them a lot in our live worship sets. I definitely need more overall realistic sounding orchestra sections and solo instruments, especially the strings, currently I use Ableton Live Suite and use the string library(SONiVOX) that came with it. I'm actually using your Instant Orchestra to help with FX and a go to for quick large orchestra sounds. Overall the GPO5 honestly needs to catch up to sound quality of other companies like Eastwest, 8dio and LASS by Audiobros. Can this be done and still keep an affordable price? That is the result I'd like to see in GPO5.

More flexibility with the key switch positions selections in the ARIA player and GPO 5. In the ARIA player we are stuck with what is already preset for the keyswitch. Being able to assign midi cc to keyswitches would be great. I know this example is off topic, but in the Garritan harps the keyswitches are in the minus range of the keyboard below the low A, so it is awkward in my setup to grab the octave range switch on my Motif during live play and go down to grab the switch for what I am needing. Soooo... better keyswitch setups all around for live play purposes.

I definitely would like to see an easier way to select instruments with a beautiful instrument browser setup for the libraries installed. How about just a fresh new look and approach for the ARIA player to go along with the release of GPO5?

Upgraded choir sounds too....

Overall the current GPO4 product is really great for entry level of orchestral sounds. It set the standard for others to build from. I hope to see it go beyond where it is, and become the next go to for samplers and orchestra sounds. You've done a lot of hard work and time to be a pioneer in the industry and many people honor and respect you for that, and by no means is GPO4 a bad library. I hope that GPO5 and a renewed ARIA player will once again set the new standard of sound for orchestra samples. I'm sure you can once again take it to the next level for others to use as a guideline of sampling. Thank you for making music sampling affordable. Appreciate your time and work!

P.S. Fresh new samples of the stradivari solo violin brought back and made available in GPO5.

Gary

grpetz

Postby grpetz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:33 am

Another thought is to be able to move the placement of where the sounds are played on the keys. For instance: the snare drum in GPO4 is only able to play on the four of all of the 88 keys. This presents a limit to where they can be played during live play. I may want to be able to play the snare on a range of 24 keys. Not a different pitch of the snare, but an ability like a sampler to move the positioning of where they are played on the keys. Another example is the preset cymbal position and the bells, and other higher sounding percussion instruments, it's to high on the keys for live play. In my setup I would prefer it to be in the lower range of keys so I can play them simultaneously with my lower sounds of the orchestra.

Hope this makes sense to you.

I would also like to say again the ability to handle keyswitches much better is a big one for live play. Thank you for listening.

Gary

grpetz

PreviousNext